INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA server and "Specified output format only when necessary"  (Read 2479 times)

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA server and "Specified output format only when necessary"
« on: February 25, 2017, 12:47:20 pm »

Was having an issue with files being converted to .mp3 even when the device could play .flac files.  Changed it to original, and the .flac file had no problems.

Found this thread... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,80048.msg544489.html#msg544489 and realized that this option didn't mean exactly what I thought it did.  The help wiki seemed to be a bit outdated on this info.

So, is there a way to set, by device, which files are supported?  I don't think so, but thought I would ask.  And if not, could that be something added in the future? 

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA server and "Specified output format only when necessary"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:36 pm »

There is not currently a way to do that.
An auto setting may be supported in the future but it involves a lot of code changes tracking playable formats per rendering device.
Also it's not totally reliable because as I mentioned elsewhere

1) Many rendering devices supply bogus information.
2) The specification is incomplete and can't handle things like bitdepth and sample rate.

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:03 pm »

I understand, can appreciate the complexity. 

But perhaps by each device, you can allow the user to specify what works and what doesn't.  So then perhaps you wouldn't have to code all that and rely on bogus info.  If .flac files work, I can check the box.  If certain files/bit rates don't, I can mark to exclude them so that the "only when necessary" would convert at that point.

It would put more work on the user, having to specify what's what, but each person could certainly tailor their system to a high degree. 

Anyway, thanks for responding.  Just had a thought and threw it out there.  Love the program.  Currently sitting at work listening to my home music via WebGizmo.  Wonderful....

Jeff

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »

That's a good suggestion, and perhaps it could start by getting what the renderer says it will do and allow for tailoring.
It's gets pretty complex and MC is more than complex enough already but as you say does allow it to be tailored to specific devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up