INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM and USB Record Input Not Working  (Read 4086 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
WDM and USB Record Input Not Working
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:49:59 pm »

I am trying to route audio from video coming in through my Lynx Hilo to the JRiver WDM driver but it is not showing up.   WDM is working for audio sources from WIN7 such as Firefox.  The Hilo is outputting the signal to USB record 1/2.

I have the JRiver WDM driver selected as default and have set the recording tab to listen and route to the default driver.  Within JRiver DSPStudio I have the Lynx Hilo ASIO driver set as output device.   What am I missing?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: WDM and USB Record Input Not Working
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 03:01:21 am »

I've never tried to route audio to the default windows device using windows when the underlying is an asio driver, I usually just use ASIO Line In for that, so I cannot personally confirm whether this is expected to work.

I recommend you take jriver out of the equation for the moment, do you see/hear output on the default device in windows using that setup? If yes and the WDM driver works for normal playback then I would guess there is something different about how windows routes audio in that situation. I don't know what though.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:58:21 am »

I've never tried to route audio to the default windows device using windows when the underlying is an asio driver, I usually just use ASIO Line In for that, so I cannot personally confirm whether this is expected to work.

I recommend you take jriver out of the equation for the moment, do you see/hear output on the default device in windows using that setup? If yes and the WDM driver works for normal playback then I would guess there is something different about how windows routes audio in that situation. I don't know what though.
I get the record in signal from Hilo's usb 1/2 inputs when I open up a my daw application, Reaper.   Reaper is using the Hilo ASIO device driver.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:01:31 am »

That is not the same thing, the equivalent is using asio line in in jriver.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 10:16:26 am »

That is not the same thing, the equivalent is using asio line in in jriver.
since JRiver is using the Lynx ASIO driver why can't it recognize the record in the same way a DAW does.   Why does it even need the WDM driver?

Btw, I direct plugged a toslink input into the macmini and none of the Windows default sound drivers recognize the signal.  I wonder if there are boot camp driver problems going on here.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:32 pm »

The DAW is using asio, jriver can use an asio input too via the asio line in option. This is in the "open live" menu option. You don't need the WDM driver for this.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 12:30:09 pm »

The DAW is using asio, jriver can use an asio input too via the asio line in option. This is in the "open live" menu option. You don't need the WDM driver for this.
Can i remote control volume via JRemote?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 05:21:38 pm »

I tried this method.   It works but not well with the remote and volume control.   I think it needs to go through JRiver's WDM driver.  But how?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:56:09 pm »

I have an idea for a workaround.   I will open Reaper, select WASAPI Hilo as device, bring audio in on Hilo record channels, arm a track for record/monitor, send output to JRiver WDM driver.  I don't know if it will work but I will try it unless someone tells me it won't.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 08:59:27 am »

I have an idea for a workaround.   I will open Reaper, select WASAPI Hilo as device, bring audio in on Hilo record channels, arm a track for record/monitor, send output to JRiver WDM driver.  I don't know if it will work but I will try it unless someone tells me it won't.
This works!   Only issue now is that internal volume control doesn't work with the ipc stream.    And of course I have leave Reaper running.   

I wonder if the developers couldn't build this monitoring capability into MC.   I know there is open live but you have to manually start that for each program whereas with the Reaper method anything I play through the Hilo digital in is automatically piped to JRiver without any further intervention by me.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 09:25:27 am »

This works!   Only issue now is that internal volume control doesn't work with the ipc stream.   
I would expect internal volume to work

I wonder if the developers couldn't build this monitoring capability into MC.   I know there is open live but you have to manually start that for each program whereas with the Reaper method anything I play through the Hilo digital in is automatically piped to JRiver without any further intervention by me.
the automatic version is the WDM driver and it is automatic. You're currently using Reaper to read ASIO inputs and output in a way the WDM driver picks up, you have to do this manually so you could just open asio line in manually instead. I don't know if there is an easy way to automate the opening of asio line in though.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 10:18:10 am »

I would expect internal volume to work
the automatic version is the WDM driver and it is automatic. You're currently using Reaper to read ASIO inputs and output in a way the WDM driver picks up, you have to do this manually so you could just open asio line in manually instead. I don't know if there is an easy way to automate the opening of asio line in though.
I have given up on trying to get the digital feed to work through WDM.  I can't even get the Reaper feed to WDM to work properly now.  I either get signal to show in ipc with all the filters engaged but no audio or  when I select the record input in the WDM driver to go to Hilo speaker i get screwed up sound because it is not going through JRiver with setting.   I think I'll just use the open live function for the digital in even though it requires manual intervention.  Maybe one day the developers might automate this by allowing you to open the live feed from JRemote.

Thanks for the help.  I learned something.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 07:43:40 am »

Maybe one day the developers might automate this by allowing you to open the live feed from JRemote.
I have discovered I can already do this in JRemote. 

I open a live feed in the streaming zone on the MC server/client and leave it open.   Then I set JRemote for "server follows app zone changes".   When I want to monitor the record in from Hilo, I simply switch the zone on JRemote to streaming and hit the play button and there it is.   That is all the automation I need.   Thank you JRiver.

Pages: [1]   Go Up