INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buggy auto import?  (Read 1645 times)

yannis

• World Citizen
buggy auto import?
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:57:04 pm »

Hi there.

I'm setting up a new PC (#1) and I run into a problem with auto import. My library contains files located on external drives connected to another PC (#2). I've mapped those drives to PC1, and their letters are not assigned to other drives. I've also ticked Fix Broken links: Yes (protect files on missing drives); but when I run auto import with those drives switched off, MC deleted all the entries related to them. I don't seem to recall this happening with my previous setup. Am I missing something or is MC acting up? 
(ver 22.0.59)

pfm555

• World Citizen
Re: buggy auto import?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »

It is not clear as to what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to view all movies from PC 2 on PC 1 then set it up PC 2 as Media Server. Theater View>Options>Media Network<Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA. Follow the steps and this will give you an Access Key. On PC 1 from Standard View click on the arrow Playing Now and  then right click on Playing from Main Library and then add a library name it and put in access key and that is it. PC 1 will have everything that PC 2 has and when PC 2 is updated with new movies they will be on PC 1. If you are trying to have all data from PC 2 on PC 1 then you will need to just copy the files from PC 2 to PC 1. When you map the drives and you do an  auto import and  then those mapped drives are turned off as stated in your post then JRiver no longer has access to those file so they will be deleted. I hope this helps. sorry if i am off base on what you are trying to accomplish.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:12:04 pm »

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear; I've been running a media server properly for quite a while now. I run the server from PC1 (even though the files "reside" to PC2, the client), because that's where I do all my work, editing etc. I restored a fully working library that never had a similar problem with "missing drives". When the drives are on, MC sees the files, builds thumbnails etc, but wheen they're off, it just deletes the entries - which never happened before.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »

Fix broken links doesn't work very well with NAS devices.  It's a well intentioned feature, but I generally recommend setting it to NO.  If you set it to NO, MC will never remove entries, even if they are offline. 

You sound like you are sophisticated with computers, so the NO setting should be just fine for you.  This gives you complete control.  MC won't do anything to remove files and confuse you.

Brian.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:33:16 am »

Thanks, Brian, that's what I'd gathered reading other posts. It still bugs me though not knowing just what is it that makes MC react this way, when up to now it worked as it should. I guess there might be something in my network settings that's different, maybe how I set up permissions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up