INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win10, RDP and Id  (Read 3118 times)

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
Win10, RDP and Id
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »

I have to ask because I only have Win10 Pro on my regular machines, but since Win10 doesn't have Remote Desktop support in the Home version, do I have to get Win10 Pro to run in headless mode (and of course remote in) or does the host side only need to be Pro?  I don't really want to put Pro on the NUC if I don't have to just to keep from feeding the MS Money Gobbling Machine.

For the sake of this discussion, let's just assume that I want to put the latest OS on and not WinXP or Win7.

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Win10, RDP and Id
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:43:39 am »

The target of Remote Desktop must support the Remote Desktop Protocol. Win10 Pro does, as you say; Win10 Home doesn't, as far as I know.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:51:15 am »

I use UltraVNC to remote into my Id. Works fine for me.

Mostly, I use Panel. Convenient and comprehensive. I use UVNC now for the finicky stuff that Panel can't handle.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:25:06 pm »

I use UltraVNC to remote into my Id. Works fine for me.

Mostly, I use Panel. Convenient and comprehensive. I use UVNC now for the finicky stuff that Panel can't handle.

Yep, VNC is always free and completely OS agnostic.

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:10:10 am »

Great feedback!  Thanks guys.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:52:50 pm »

Hi, jumping in for minute, as I've just setup a new Id classic, and USED to be able to use Win10 RDP to view and adjust my Id. Now I'm having trouble logging in from my Win10 machine (big PITA having to undo my Id classic config downstairs).

I'm using the IP address for the Id, and the username (specified in the Id authentication setup). Clicking "connect" takes me to the black Command screen with the "login to xrdp" dialog, and the module specified as "Active Local Login" (nothing else to choose from the dropdown). I type the password, but I get a password error. I've tried the remote password (I changed the default on the Id during setup). Nothing works.

I will say: the IP address in the error has no resemblance whatsoever with the IP address I'm entering (you can see they're different).

What am I missing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 12:18:18 am »

That sounds like you're connected to the wrong machine.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 02:15:14 am »

Hi, jumping in for minute, as I've just setup a new Id classic, and USED to be able to use Win10 RDP to view and adjust my Id. Now I'm having trouble logging in from my Win10 machine (big PITA having to undo my Id classic config downstairs).

I'm using the IP address for the Id, and the username (specified in the Id authentication setup). Clicking "connect" takes me to the black Command screen with the "login to xrdp" dialog, and the module specified as "Active Local Login" (nothing else to choose from the dropdown). I type the password, but I get a password error. I've tried the remote password (I changed the default on the Id during setup). Nothing works.

I will say: the IP address in the error has no resemblance whatsoever with the IP address I'm entering (you can see they're different).

What am I missing?

I have had this, have you tried rebooting the ID and trying again

BradATIMA

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 08:40:47 am »

What am I missing?

Leave the username field empty. This is not looking for the Authentication username. All you need to do is provide the IP address of the Id. When it brings up the xrdp login screen, it's looking for the remote connection password. This can be changed from the Id main menu (option 16), but by default, the password is "remote".
Pages: [1]   Go Up