INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Run Media Server at startup but before Windows logon  (Read 2825 times)

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
Run Media Server at startup but before Windows logon
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:19:04 pm »

I'm looking for a way to do exactly what the subject says.  One article I found suggests using Task Scheduler to create a task that is triggered at startup.  So I did, and it worked.  After I reboot my computer, I was able to access my library in JRemote without logging in to Windows.  However, once I did log in, I got a message that said the following:

"Media Center 17 is running but there may be a problem. Possible causes:

1. The program is also running under a different user account.
2. Media Center 17 and Media Server are both in Windows Startup. You must remove one.
3. The program is not responding for an unknown reason.

Please try rebooting the computer. Verify that no other user accounts are running the program."

The only one that makes any kind of sense to me in this scenario is option 1, but that's still strange because I configured the task to run under the same user account that I use to log in to Windows.  Neither MC or Media Server are running when I open the Windows Task Manager.  I've tried running the task with and without the /Boot switch. Same results.  I combed through all the settings in Task Scheduler to try to find something that would kill the task at logon, but I couldn't find anything.  Is there a way to do that?  Even if there is, it wouldn't be ideal since it would interrupt any playback that might be happening at time of log on.  Anyone know a way around this issue?

The other option I've read about is running the program as a service.  Any way to do this without editing the registry?  If not, can anyone who has done this tell me *exactly* what they did?  I found an old thread (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29334.0) that mentions a program that can do this without editing the registry, but that program appears to be no longer available at the link in the last post of the thread.

Oh, I'm running the last build of MC17 and Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks for any help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up