INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 34850 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2003, 02:17:50 pm »

Everyone,

MC 9.1.211 is available which includes Plugin 9.0.38.

The issue of not being able to play songs in a playlist through MC is resolved.

KC,

I think this fixes the conversion issues for you.

Mindracing,

I am having a hard time following / recreating your issue. I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks,

Steve

a2hoo

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2003, 07:04:31 pm »

This isnt a big deal, but I think you should add an auto- smartlist for us "dummies  :)" that use the ipod and have multiple media types in media center.  Yes, smartlists weren't hard to use after i read the manual, but how about an auto-smartlist for "Ipod use" or "all MP3s".

Maybe when you install the ipod plug in it could add this auto smartlist.  Most people want to use Media Center without digging into the manual

Just my thought.  It did take me awhile to figure this out for myself.  To make Media center more user friendly, this would be a nice addition

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2003, 10:24:24 pm »

Iplod,

Right click on your IPod drive letter and select 'Rebuild Database from iPod'. No need to rerip the files.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Is this option wise as I have no music files on my Ipod. They all on my PC. Or am I reading the literal meaning of rebuilding from Ipod?

David

billycwhatup

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2003, 05:20:58 am »

Hi-
I recently imported some .wma files before I realized that iPod didn't support them (I'm an idiot, I know). That said, I created a playlist that combined mp3s and WMAs. Is there anyway to have MC just convert all files that are WMA to MP3 without individually selecting the tracks? I'd love to not have to start over on the playlist I created which unfortunately combines MP3 and WMA (around 3000 songs)  - but I can't seem to find an intelligent way to isolate the WMAs for conversion. Any help would be very much appreciated.

SteveG

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2003, 07:31:09 am »

a2hoo,

I want to make the plugin as easy to use as possible. There are already many automatically created smartlists including one for 'All-Music'.  What kind of smartlist are you suggesting?

David,

If you do not have any files on your iPod, select 'Format' from the right click iPod menu and go from there.

billycwhatup,

Is there anyway to have MC just convert all files that are WMA to MP3 without individually selecting the tracks?

There are many ways to do this. If you have a playlist that has mp3 and wma files, if your mp3s are all encoded at the same bitrate, you can select 'Options' and 'Force file conversion'. If you select mp3 and the bitrate for all of your files (assuming the files are at the same bitrate) and then upload or synch the files, conversion will be skipped on all your mp3s and only occur on the wma files.

Another way to approach this is to use view filters.  This will work if you are using smartlists, but not for playlsits. In this approach, you would create a smartlist that is for .mp3 files only. If you apply this smartlist as your view filter, only your mp3 files will show when you send this playlist. Conversely, you could filter for wma, send the files with conversion on, and then send the mp3 files.

Steve

a2hoo

« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2003, 07:47:51 am »

The auto-smartlist would automtaically filter your music and include only "ipod friendly" formats.  So it would include MP3, MP3 VBR, and WAV.  If Media Center supports AAC in the future, then this too could be put into the smartlist.  Formats such as ogg or wma would be excluded from the smartlist.

Theoretically, you could have a "non-ipod friendly smartlist" too that would icnlude music that is not ipod compatible so people can either convert them or re-rip them.

Again, I figured out how to do this but it took more effort than I wanted to put into it.  Because MEdia Center may capture a big part of the ipod windows market, i agree it would make sense to make it as easy to use as possible.

Another thing to consider would be to do something like ephpod and automatically make playlists for people based on genre, all music etc.

SteveG

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2003, 07:56:55 am »

a2hoo,

I appreciate your suggestion, and realize this would be helpful to iPod users but as I think on it, it will clutter the product for non-ipod users. Even if I created this only when the Plugin is used, this would not make sense for all the people who use the plugin and do not have an iPod (the same plugin is also designed to work for all removable drive portable devices).  For now, I hope that the combination of smartlists and the ability to on the fly convert the non ipod files to an ipod friendly format will be enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2003, 02:33:22 pm »

Everyone,

If you get tonight's build of MC 9.1 and you are feeling like testing Replay Gain, download Plugin 9.0.39 from the website. This version is not included automatically for people who do not want it.

Anyway, with this version, try starting with a clean iPod and then try right clicking on the iPod drive letter and select 'Apply Replay Gain on Upload' . If you do this and then upload your files, tell me how the Replay Gain sounds and if it is roughly working for you.

Thanks.

STeve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2003, 03:15:26 pm »

If you do this and then upload your files, tell me how the Replay Gain sounds and if it is roughly working for you.

No, no!  :D  Is this Soundcheck implemented on a WiPod?  Is that what you're talking about Steve?

So, I'm guessing that the soundcheck option has to be turned on, on the iPod for this to work is that right?  Or did you handle it some other way.....

Adam

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2003, 03:33:51 pm »

O.... M..... G!!!

Steve!  Have you done it!?  Woot!

I can't test this tonight... please, someone tell me if it works!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2003, 03:41:53 pm »

Everyone,

If you get tonight's build of MC 9.1 and you are feeling like testing Replay Gain, download Plugin 9.0.39 from the website. This version is not included automatically for people who do not want it.

Anyway, with this version, try starting with a clean iPod and then try right clicking on the iPod drive letter and select 'Apply Replay Gain on Upload' . If you do this and then upload your files, tell me how the Replay Gain sounds and if it is roughly working for you.

Thanks.

STeve

I tried this for my files and tested two songs that were on opposite ends of the spectrum with respect to encoded volume.

After formatting my iPod and uploading my songs with Replay Gain Applied, the volumes were indeed at a similar level, so it appeared to work.

However, the volume for both songs was so low that I had to max the volume of my iPod to acheive a reasonable sound level.

Additionally, when I disabled the option to enable Replay Gain and re-uploaded my files (Delete files not in list and Update Tags both enabled), the replay gain setting appeared to still be there. The volumes of my two songs were still both the same and both very low on the iPod.

FYI - the two songs in question and their Replay Gain values in MC9 are

• Tangerine by Led Zeppelin - (-5.66 dB)
  • Papercut by Linkin Park - (-15.77 dB)

I hope this information helps you out.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2003, 05:46:55 pm »

Pretty much the same result for me Steve.  I found that I could turn the iPod all the way up (which I can never do unless I've had too much wine ;)).

Seems like you've found a way to introduce the EU volume limitation....

Oh, and turning the SoundCheck feature on or off didn't have any effect...should it?  It would be cool if it did.

Adam

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2003, 03:22:51 am »

a2hoo,

David,

If you do not have any files on your iPod, select 'Format' from the right click iPod menu and go from there.

Steve

Steve, Thank you SO MUCH for your help.

I have now been able to sync Ipod and my music library. I now know that some of the files were at different birates (?) but not sure why this would have caused a sync problem especially as the conversion process of the cda file involved both conversion and encoding at the same time.

Not being a techie (I am a music lover) I still can't work out why re-formating the Ipod again would have solved the problem and in deed what the process does.

Finally, some files did not transfer over. The message box seemed to suggest this was because the file was an mp3-3 whereas on my library the file is an mp3. Strangely, I was able to play the files on my Ipod before I lost the contents that created my problem.

Once again, THANK YOU and for restoring my belief in the MC product.

David

jbpenney

• nothing more to say...
Burnt by New IPOD Plug-In
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2003, 05:26:39 am »

Downloaded new IPOD plug in 7-9-2003 and voila, can no longer upload to my 3G 15GB POD running 2.0.1.   MC recognizes the IPOD as a drive and I can view albums, etc. but when I try to upload I get an error dialog with no message and then MC locks up. Last version of POD plug-in worked just fine.   Running MC 9.0.180 on xp.  Can anybody help me with this?  Where can I get the old plug in until the new one is up to snuff?   ?

kahunasquan

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2003, 07:00:26 am »

Downloaded MC9 and iPod plugin last night. Uninstalled MMJB+plugin.  Installed MC9 and plugin. Formated iPod for MC9. Pulled in 2900 tracks into library. Dragged and dropped auto playlist "All Music" on to device(iPod). All songs que up. Click upload button. Small dialog box appears indicating drive letter( H: ) and large-ish red circle with an "X" on it, and that is all. Dismiss dialog box, file transfer box appears and does nothing. MC9 "not responding" end program. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

30 GB iPod, WinXP sp1, 700mhz P3, 256MB ram, Abit bx6 rev1. mobo, twin 60GB Seagate Barracudas(IDE), Nvidia Geforce2 4200, SB-Live value, Avermedia TV Studio, Optonline.

SteveG

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2003, 09:10:52 am »

Everyone,

I am adding an adjustment selection to boost the baseline for the Replay Gain today.

JC,  

The bug you reported about reupload with 'Apply Replay Gain' deselected is fixed in tonight's build.

David,

Not being a techie (I am a music lover) I still can't work out why re-formating the Ipod again would have solved the problem and in deed what the process does.

Reformating cleans the iPod database which resolves any potential data corruption that may have occurred. If the database has flaws, it can potentially cause MC to crash.

The message box seemed to suggest this was because the file was an mp3-3

The error code '-3' means that the file path is incorrect. If you see this code, check that you can play that file within MC. If you cannot, you should delete and reimport that song.

jbPenny,

I would encourage you to go to MC 9.1.212. New additions are being added constantly and are not always going to work with older versions such as 9.0. If you want the plugin from 2 days ago, email me and I will send it to you. (steve @ jriver.com)

kahunasquan,

What version of MC are you running? If not 9.1.212, try getting that version.

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2003, 09:21:14 am »

Dragged and dropped auto playlist "All Music" on to device(iPod). All songs que up. Click upload button. Small dialog box appears indicating drive letter( H: ) and large-ish red circle with an "X" on it, and that is all. Dismiss dialog box, file transfer box appears and does nothing. MC9 "not responding" end program. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing I suggest. I recently had this problem where my MC did not seem to recognise my Ipod. No idea how this happened. I followed advice from Steve and reformated my Ipod from MC (see earlier entries to this bulletin board). I was then able to resync.

I do find it odd why these oddities happen from time to me. 8)

SteveG

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2003, 02:02:24 pm »

Everyone,

For those of you interested in advacing the progress of Replay Gain and iPod, try getting iPod plugin 9.0.40. If you right click on the the Ipod you will now see an option for 'Set Replay Gain Adjustment' which will allow you to add or subtract dB from the Replay gain setting  in MC. Also if you deselect "Apply Replay Gain' and resynch your files, the Replay Gain will go away as it should.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2003, 03:25:04 pm »

Everyone,

For those of you interested in advacing the progress of Replay Gain and iPod, try getting iPod plugin 9.0.40. If you right click on the the Ipod you will now see an option for 'Set Replay Gain Adjustment' which will allow you to add or subtract dB from the Replay gain setting  in MC. Also if you deselect "Apply Replay Gain' and resynch your files, the Replay Gain will go away as it should.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, my initial testing verifies that the replay gain adjustment does indeed resolve the extremely low volume issue from yesterday. I used an increase of 10dB with the two songs from yesterday and both were of an acceptable volume.

I will perform some more tests later tonight and report my findings.

JeffPalley

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2003, 03:43:11 pm »

REPLAY GAIN ?

OK, I'd love to help, but I'm confused about what this is, or rather, how it relates to the iPod (I have a 30GB).

I read the MC9 Help and I believe I understand the difference between "normalization" and "replay gain" on MC9 itself ... although from the Help description, I can't understand why anyone would prefer mucking up their files with "normalization," when it appears that "replay gain" does the same thing without hurting the file.

Then there's that third thing (in DSP) called "Dynamic Boost" which from the desciption appears to be similar to the "loudness" setting on my old stereo.  But that doesn't really interest me much (I don't want a flute solo to be as loud as a full orchestra), so, of the three MC9 choices, it seems like "replay gain" is the thing.

But then when I use my iPod, my only choice is something called "sound check," which *seems* like it ought to do the same thing as MC9's "replay gain."  However, I haven't noticed that it makes any difference whether I turn it on or off ... sequential songs still sound a lot different in volume.

So in summary, my question is what the new MC9 iPod plugin feature does.  Best I can guess is that maybe it's something like "MC9's Replay Gain But Now It Works On The iPod."

Is the idea that it will work better than iPod's ineffective (to my ears) "sound check"?

Sorry for my ignorance about this.  If anyone can point me to a previous discussion where all is made clear, I'd appreciate it.  Or if there is no such place, then anyone who wants to explain the whole thing ... well, that would be really REALLY appreciated.

P.S.  This is maybe half off-topic, but for what it's worth, I use these phenomenal molded-to-your-ear earbuds ... I got them from www.customearsets.com, and I can't recommend them highly enough to you all.  They block out pretty much all outside sound, so you really never would have a need for "dynamic boost" ... even the softest passages are clearly audible.

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2003, 04:29:37 pm »

REPLAY GAIN ?

OK, I'd love to help, but I'm confused about what this is, or rather, how it relates to the iPod (I have a 30GB).

It sounds like you understand the "Analyze Audio" functionality and how the replay gain settings relate to the way your songs are played via MC9.

What the new 9.0.40 iPod plugin does (and you have to download the newest from the site, it isn't auto installed with 9.1.213) is allow you to play your music on your iPod similar to the way it is played in MC9 when Replay Gain is applied.

Soundcheck is not used (that's for the iTunes version of Replay Gain and only for Macs AFAIK). But, at the bottom of the menu when you right-click on your iPod, you have two new options.

• Apply Replay Gain during upload- This will modify the output volume by the "Replay Gain" amount defined in MC9.
  • Set Replay Gain adjustment - Use this to change the output volume of all songs by a fixed amount as they are played on your iPod.

Basically, the Replay Gain functionality you had with MC9 playback can now optionally be applied to your iPod device.

Really nice implementation that works very well. As you mentioned, this is much preferred over the destructive "normalization" method.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2003, 07:23:58 pm »

JeffPalley:

JC has it right.  Soundcheck is not available on WiPods, Apple chose not to include it.  But it basically does the same thing as MC9's replay gain is doing.  It doesn't normalize (i.e. change your files), it applies the replay gain adjustment per your analyzed files.

STEVE:

I have found a bug of sorts.  In doing this testing I've been clicking on Audio and then sorting on the replay gain column.  I then select the first song, scroll all the way to the bottom and select the last song.  This gives me the songs w/the greatest variety in gain.  I then have been clicking on the iPod icon to up load these songs.  It uploads, then the iPod drive letter is highlighted, MC9 hangs and then crashes.  (MediaCore).

This happened last night w/.212 and tonight w/.213

Might want to check into that.  Maybe that functionality got broken somewhere along the line (clicking the iPod toolbar button I mean)

OK, regarding the replay gain.  This is so tough because it's so subjective.  But what I did was upload 2 songs.  One had a replay gain of -12.81db, the other had a value of 3.26db.  I set the adjustment to +.5db as last night's build it was too quite.

The result: they didn't sound equal to me.  the 3.26db song was much louder than the -12.81 song.  Not sure if we're there yet or if I'm doing something wrong.  I did verify that I had Apply Replay Gain checked.

Adam

JeffPalley

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2003, 12:02:40 am »

JeffPalley:

JC has it right.  Soundcheck is not available on WiPods

JC & ashawley,

Wow ... and I've been checking that little Soundcheck box all this time and wondering why it didn't seem to have any effect.  You mean we Windows users have been fraudulated by Apple?  THEY would do that to US?

Appreciate the info.  Incidentally, I can't try it now -- my iPod's at work) -- but it sounds like (well, I'm hoping it sounds like) if I install SteveG's new iPod plugin version and then select the appropriate options and enter my desired gain adjustment, and then do a sync, then all 30GB of songs currently on my iPod will automatically play back on the iPod using replay gain, without me having to manually re-upload the songs to the iPod (all the songs were audio-analyzed by MC9 before I originally uploaded them).  Is that pretty much right, or will I have to remove the songs from the iPod and then re-upload them?

Kurt Young

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2003, 08:04:38 am »

Steve, sir,

I'm offline more and more these days, so I just wanted to throw this in.  

Is it possible to tie whatever you're doing with the replay gain to the "Sound Check" toggle on the iPod?  I know you're still building it, and so giving it a convenient toggle isn't as important right now as getting it working, but...

I guess I'd just like a warm fuzzy that it's on the list, and you'll go on it as soon as the replay gain guts are working.  Can you reassure a guy?

:D

(sigh, I haven't downloaded a new build since 210)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2003, 08:39:26 am »

Jeff,

Adam and JC's advice is on the money ( thanks).  In regards to adding in the repaly gain and removing it, if you get tonight's plugin and select 'Apply Replay Gain' and then synch with 'Update Tags' selected, the Replay Gain analysis will be added to your iPod. If you want to remove it, deselect 'Apply Replay Gain' and resynch with 'Update Tags' selected and the Replay Gain analysis will go away.

Adam,

I will fix the button to transfer the files.

In regards to the gain analysis, this is not an exact science. To get this to work I have to convert the Replay Gain to a scale that is accepatble by Apple.  If it is way off, let me know, if it is slightly off, it may be as good as we can get.

Kurt,

If I follow the previous posts, I do not think the 'Sound Check' is enabled for win iPods. Sorry to rain on the warm fuzzy. :)

ccoti

• nothing more to say...
RE: "hh_portable" error when synching iP
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2003, 10:16:19 am »

Hello,

Searched the forums an did not find this problem posted:

I have MC 9.0.180 and a new 15GB iPod.  I installed the iPod plug-in and synched all my files fine the first time (approx 3000).

After a week or so, I wanted to synch again.  downloaded the new plug-in, 9.0.40 and installed it successfully with no errors.

Plugged in the iPod, and hit Synchronize on the menu.  Chose my playlist (all files) and hit ok...

After a few seconds a very small window pops up that just says hh_portable in the title bar and has a single [close] button.  There is no other text or info.

This happens every time I try.  I have tried rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling the plug-in.

The only other thing I can think of that might be triggering this bug is that I am using Audible.com and have downloaded audiobooks to the iPod.  The iPod has been working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Christian.

Kurt Young

« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2003, 10:24:14 am »

Hrmm... I was under the impression that the only reason it doesn't work is because there's no replay gain data on your average WinniePod.  

The toggle in the settings menu would just tell the OS to use it or to not use it... and now that there's going to be data on the WinniePod, I was hoping you could get the toggle to work.

It's totally conceivable, though, that Apple turned the "back end" of the toggle itself off.  Do me a favor and investigate, if you can?  The only reason I'm asking is that it'd be so much nicer and easier if we could just use the toggle while on the go, rather than have to connect, uncheck, resync, and disconnect.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2003, 10:25:16 am »

Christian,

Try redownloading the plugin. I just posted an older version. MC 9.1 has some added functionality and I posted the latest plugin (9.0.40) to be compatible with it. It will not work so well with MC 9.0.180 so I put the old plugin back and will only include the new plugin during the install of newer MC 9.1 versions.

Sorry for any trouble.

Kurt,

I just tested with 'Sound Check' on and off and it appears to have no effect on the Replay Gain.

ChrisIpod,

6) After clicking, 0 files show to the right, but the available size is diminished correctly.

Can you verify that you have not selected 'Show Queued Files Only' when you right click on iPod. You should select 'Show All Files'

Steve

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2003, 10:43:11 am »

SteveG,

Sorry about the slightly off topic post here, but I was wondering if renaming the topic of this thread would be possible. It appears that new users (myself included) aren't aware that the "IPOD SUPPORT" thread is the one place we should go for Ipod questions.

Perhaps "OFFICIAL IPOD SUPPORT THREAD" or "POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE" or something to indicate the full intent of the thread would avoid many of the "please post in the iPod Support thread" replies that are quite frequent.

Initially, I was under the impression that someone was looking for help with their IPOD about a specific problem. It is an easily made mistake and one that may be less common with a slight name modification.

Anything to help new users, right? :)

BTW - I didn't get a chance to test the on/off toggle of the replay gain last night. We had a terrible lightning storm and I didn't want to fry my equipment. I'll test tonight to confirm that it works properly.

Thanks!

SteveG

« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2003, 11:08:59 am »

JC,

Good suggestion, consider it done. Stay out of the way of the lightning.

Adam,

The button to shortcut to upload files should be fixed in the next MC build.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
Re: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2003, 02:56:57 pm »

Steve:

Not to beat an already near-catatonic horse, but I was just wondering about the sound check toggle.

Maybe it's that Kurt and I don't understand how you implemented Replay Gain.  It was my understanding (and I think Kurt's), that you used the existing "architecture" in place for Sound Check.  Or did you accomplish it the other way.  The reason I ask is that it'd be a great "test" to see if things are working.  

I know we've said Apple didn't implement Soundcheck on WiPods, but by that we meant they didn't enable it to be used by their preferred software (MMJB).  Obviously it can be accomplished or you couldn't do it?  :D

So, unlike the other features they've disabled, this one is there somehow.  It'd just be slick to make it work like on MiPods.  If you gett my drift.

:horse rolls eyes and gasps last breath:  ;)

Adam

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
« Reply #131 on: July 11, 2003, 11:22:28 pm »

Hi there,

I wonder how can I make use of the rating system the new iPod provides. It seems that none of my Media Center ratings are transfered to the "pot" and the other way around.

Sorry if that was been answered anywhere else already, but I didn't find it here.

Thanks and best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Ipod does not seem to recognise ripped cds on Ipod
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2003, 01:47:01 pm »

Can anyone shed some light on an issue that has happened to me before and which has happened again today.

This morning I was able to successfully sync MC with my Ipod. This evening it does not seem to recognise the Ipod and the music files at all. I either get a warning box with a cross in it or a warning box telling me to select files to play? The album titles appear under thw Ipod drive but no details of the music within.

Can anyone suggest the best course of action to take as i have only earlier this week re-formatted my Ipod?

Confused and bewildered.

David ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2003, 04:26:48 pm »

Please use the iPod support thread here.

Include more details if you can.  Version of MC and plug-in.  Update if not current.  

Are you using other software to talk to the iPod?

SteveG

« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2003, 05:32:16 pm »

Adam,

To get the Replay Gain to work, I manipulated the Database, not the firmware. When I tested turning the 'SoundCheck' toggle on and off for files that had the Replay Gain applied, it seemed to make no difference.  See if you can verify that and if you can, then I do not know a way to get the iPod firmware to take advantage of this setting.

Mighty A Man,

As far as I can tell the iPod rating system does not persist when the iPod is plugged back in to the PC (i.e. the ratings disappear each time you connect to the PC).  Assuming this is the case, there is no way for me to send this setting to the iPod because the firmware does not handle it.

David,

A reformat may be necessary. If you can, please send me your iTunesDB file from your iPod and I can try to diagnose what went wrong and prevent it in the future.

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2003, 08:02:24 pm »

Hello ALL, Lately after SYNCHING 16.4GB or more files to my ipod I get a message saying something like "not including UPLAOD FILES."  Since I am not uploading I don't know what that means.  Also, one or two  files in the ipod don't play, but ipod just quickly advance to the next song.  These songs are songs that have been on the Ipod in the past, so I know they're ok... THANKS, Christopher

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2003, 09:09:18 pm »

Chrispod:

Try updating your MC9 library, it's possible that you moved some songs on your PC and MC9 can't find them.

To do this:

Click File>Library>Update Libary.  Make sure you have the checkbox checked for "Remove Files which Do Not Exist".  This won't delete any mp3s, it'll just delete the references to them in MC9's database.

Then try the sync again.

If it still fails, make sure all your songs are of MP3 file type.

Adam

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2003, 01:38:12 am »

Mighty A Man,
As far as I can tell the iPod rating system does not persist when the iPod is plugged back in to the PC (i.e. the ratings disappear each time you connect to the PC).  Assuming this is the case, there is no way for me to send this setting to the iPod because the firmware does not handle it.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your answer. Then I hope that Apple will change their firmware, so PC users can use the rating system as well. I tried it with the awful MusicMatch, too, but it didn't work either. It must be a Mac-only feature at the moment.

Cheers,

Mighty A-MAN

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2003, 07:03:44 am »

Hey - Remember that long post by Wobbley, that everyone complained about and even had the nerve to ask him to edit?  Well I have similar problems,  but I never saw the answers to his post...  I have a 20GB ipod which when plugged in to my laptop with windows XP opens up MC9 version 9.1.213.  Here's what's happening:

1) Restore, then format iPod  

2) Sync files  

3) Disconnect iPod and listen to music  

4) Reconnect iPod  

5) Click on iPod letter (G:)  I also have a NEW 10GB that comes in on (E:) but these problems are exsisting without me using that ipod, I adds things to that one very infrequently.

6) After clicking letter, 0 files show to the right, but the available size is diminished correctly.

7) I rebuild, and all playlist info is gone and the number of files is lessened.  I then resync everything, which brings back titles and other info, but a few songs at the end of each album is gone.  Like a FOO FIGHTERS album has 8 instead of 10 songs.

8) Trying to put those songs back results in a duplicate, and disallows them.

9) I click file and exit, and disconnect safely, and wait til the check mark appears on the window of the ipod.

10) Then next morning I HAVE to hear PHYSICAL GRAFFITI on the way to work!!!!!   I rip it and plug in the ipod and the songs are back 0. I go through the above steps, but am angered when the total number of files is diminished yet again.  I try to resync and the MC9 freezes the entire PC, I have enough time, so I reformat.
I should have 18.5GB available to start over, bit have 12.5GB.  I format again, BUT i NEVER get back the space I should have.  

11) I decide (as I do at least once a week) that restoring is the only way, so I force the ipod off the connection, close the frozen PC and start over.  I then resync 3200 files, and one hour later I am ready to go to work.  

I have found that I need to restore once a week and then put everything back on.  I have a few small playlists, but all the rest of my 3200 files are in a playlist called CHRISTOPHER's IPOD, which I sync on.  One Q is, is it OK to often restore?  Also, my ipod is a 20GB, and my partner's is a brand new 10GB (Levent's IPOD is his long playlist.  Yes, we use the correct updaters for each.)  Thanks...

HELP!  Christopher  

P.S. The smiley faces you see in this post are themselves a BUG, as I did not put them there.

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2003, 08:15:00 am »

There are a few more things.  When I've done the full 3200 sync, and MC9 crashes at about 2700, and I have to force the ipod off, and restart the computer, I come back and rebuild (because of course I always have 0 files) and about 50 songs just have numbers.  Where are the titles?

Also will someone just shout out to me was version of MC9 I should be using?  Someone gave me a link, which I also found on my own, but it's a link that just goes in cricles, back and forth to the same page in ipod help.

Could you be a pal and give me the link for the version I should use (which hopefully has Replay Gain)?

I'm at four hours now this morning, and not one song heard...

CMB

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2003, 08:22:38 am »

Link to MC9 versions

You'll notice the top two posts have both the most recent beta version (9.1.213) and the most recent public version (9.0.180). Select the version you wish to use and the download link will be in the very first post in that thread.

Although the numbers change, you will always be able to find the most recent versions at the top of this board.

Hope this helps!

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2003, 08:43:51 am »

JC, after each post a new can of worms is opened.  By saying "PUBLIC VERSION is 9.0.180," do you mean  do you mean that's what I should be using?

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2003, 09:45:59 am »

JC, after each post a new can of worms is opened.  By saying "PUBLIC VERSION is 9.0.180," do you mean  do you mean that's what I should be using?

You should be using the version you feel most comfortable with. If you don't mind beta testing software and putting up with a few bugs, then you may wish to use the newest beta version 9.1.213. If you are looking for a stable version that "just works", the public version may be your best bet.

The Replay Gain implementation for iPods only works with the newest iPod plugin (9.0.40) and the beta version 9.1 of Media Center. The replay gain functionality inside Media Center is available in 9.0 as far as I know. The newest iPod Plugin (9.0.40) does not play nice with 9.0.180, so it is not available as a seperate download. SteveG mentioned earlier in this thread that it will be included in newer 9.1 releases.

As for myself, I'm using 9.1.213. As for which version you "should" be using, that's a decision only you can make. However, I've been using the latest beta of 9.1 and aside from the bugs listed in that thread, I haven't found any issues.

If you want something that "just works" ... you may want to stick with 9.0 for now. You won't get the new functionality, but may alleviate some frustration.

Hope this helps!

SteveG

« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2003, 10:30:42 am »

JC,

Thanks for the post to Christopher.

Christopher, I would recommend getting 9.1.213, because it is the one that I can affect the most if there are bugs. I know that it is frustrating when things aren't working, but there are a lot of variables and so it requires patience and perserverance at times.  Comments like.....

....Wobbley, that everyone complained about and even had the nerve to ask him to edit

are frustrating to me, because one of the difficulties with communicating with a medium such as Interact is trying to clearly understand each other on topics where it is important to be very precise. I do not think that requires 'nerve' but patience from all.

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2003, 11:28:42 am »

I have found that I need to restore once a week and then put everything back on.  

Why should this be. Is the Ipod-MC link not stable enough?

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2003, 04:30:16 pm »

Dear iplod, One of the things I'm stating is that it's odd, yes, that I lose space every time I format with MC9, I'm begging for an answer as to why.  The formatting process leaves files on the ipod, it does not take it back to the empty state.  I have posted these remarks  and cannot get an answer as to why when I connect, and click on the letter I have 0 files now EVERY TIME.  Then, many times if I try to re sync, MC9 freezes the whole PC.  I have to restore whenever I want new music on my ipod.

Sorry about my rude comments, to others, I AM frustrated.  SORRY.  

CHRISTOPHER

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2003, 04:37:06 pm »

I have posted these remarks  and cannot get an answer as to why when I connect, and click on the letter I have 0 files now EVERY TIME.  

As a test, could you try something? (actually a couple things)

• When you plugin the iPod and it shows up as a drive letter, when you right click, what does the very top option in the pop-up menu say?
  • If you connect the iPod and it appears in MC9 with no files. What happens if you just eject the device? Are you still able to play the songs that were on you iPod previously?

These two answers may help discover why your computer is behaving differently.

Thanks!

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2003, 06:20:17 pm »

JC: It says "show queued files only"...  and no, although the space is diminished, 0 files show in the ipod.  Also, at the bottom of the right side of MC9 it says 0 files, when this is all happening.  Since I last wrote, I plugged in and had no files again, and when I right clicked to rebuild, that THUD with the red X came up and MC9 had to shut down.  So AGAIN I've restored, and hae a few playlists to perform that test you had me do.  I ejected and plugged back in, and the files are there this time.
One other note:  Up by the red target it says "play" you know, for playing a song... shouldn't it have the task I'm performing now up there?

In the interim, i have d/l 9.1.213 again, and wonder where that Replay Gain is... any comments there?

Christopher

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2003, 08:35:52 pm »

JC: It says "show queued files only"...  and no, although the space is diminished, 0 files show in the ipod.  Also, at the bottom of the right side of MC9 it says 0 files, when this is all happening.  Since I last wrote, I plugged in and had no files again, and when I right clicked to rebuild, that THUD with the red X came up and MC9 had to shut down.  So AGAIN I've restored, and hae a few playlists to perform that test you had me do.  I ejected and plugged back in, and the files are there this time.
One other note:  Up by the red target it says "play" you know, for playing a song... shouldn't it have the task I'm performing now up there?

In the interim, i have d/l 9.1.213 again, and wonder where that Replay Gain is... any comments there?

Christopher

• The Replay Gain functionality is available for the iPod only in the new plugin. SteveG mentioned that 9.0.41 will be installed with 9.1.214 when it is posted tomorrow.
  • If you plugin the iPod, see no files show up in MC9, then eject the iPod (without any restpre, database rebuilding, etc ...), do the files still play on the iPod while disconnected? Are all of the files still on the iPod? (check the about section on the iPod for a song count before and after connecting to the computer).

We'll get this figured out eventually. Also, you probably posted this elsewhere, but, just for my info, which OS are you using?

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2003, 08:38:45 pm »

Sorry, I forgot this in my earlier response. Mine says "Add to Playing Now" all the time. I don't think I've ever seen it say anything different. Not sure if this is the same as what you're seeing or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up