INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embedded tags and MKV  (Read 3655 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
Embedded tags and MKV
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:32:48 am »

Am I right that MKV files do not allow for embedded tags like FLAC, etc. What happens if I copy the original files to another location? How do I keep the tags which I already attached to it.

I assume that the cover art always is a .jpg file in the same folder (MKV does not embed cover art???) and has to be copied with other files.

I have good results with the Get Movie and TV info for MKV files (except for Music Videos/Concerts; see separate post on metadata agents for music videos) where is the movie data stored and can I edit it or delete it manually?

pablo_hp

• Recent member
Re: Embedded tags and MKV
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:07:39 pm »

I have same problem here.
I wanna to store metadatas in MKV files using JRiver, but I can't.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »

In MC, when we are talking about video files, metadata is always written to "sidecar files" that are in the same directory as the video file.  These sidecar files (which end in .XML) contain all of the metadata.  As long as you keep the XML files with the video, you'll always have all of your metadata.

Brian.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:13:38 am »

Thx. One follow-up question: the xml-file stores the location of the file. If I copy the mkv file to another location (with .xml file), the location of the file has obviously changed. However the .xml file still lists the old location. Is this relevant with importing the mkv into JRiver from the new location? The .xml file do not get updated automatically.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:33:15 am »

Thx. One follow-up question: the xml-file stores the location of the file. If I copy the mkv file to another location (with .xml file), the location of the file has obviously changed. However the .xml file still lists the old location.

The [Filename] field is in the XML file, but it won't cause any issue when importing the MKV files.  I believe MC is smart enough to ignore that one field and use the rest.

The .xml file do not get updated automatically.

In my experience, the XML files are updated any time the metadata changes.  I'm not sure what you mean.

Brian.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 11:54:35 am »

Indeed the XML file gets updated but not for all variables. I did not check all of them, but location is certainly not updated. But I understand now that JRiver ignores this value. That is fine. Question: what is the value of having a (wrong) location in the XML. file?
Pages: [1]   Go Up