INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manage Library Fields edit fails to hold - help please  (Read 2235 times)

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
Manage Library Fields edit fails to hold - help please
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:41:53 am »

I prefer some of my fields such as Mood or Genre to be Data Type List; Not Relational; List - and that's how I set them.
However after a while they have reverted back to String; Not Relational; Standard. Grrhh.

Please tell me how to make MC keep the settings I prefer.
thanks,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

aviateur

• World Citizen
Re: Manage Library Fields edit fails to hold - help please
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:15 pm »

Hi:

My experience with managing library fields indicates that only custom fields (fields that I define) allow me to change the 'User data' areas such as 'Data Type' and 'Relational'. Pre-defined fields such as 'Genre' show these areas grey-out, which implies they are not modifiable. That being said, I have never experienced any reversions after I have made a change to a custom field. An example is attached. The field, 'Storage ID' is a 'List' type.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:30:33 pm »

Thanks Lawrence.
Are you using the newfangled tag window?
I am thinking this refusal to hold my settings is related to the problems with getting the new tag window to work, properly.

Sorry, Genre was a bad example. The fields that do not hold are in fact my custom fields.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 03:41:35 pm »

Are you using a client MC connected to a server?

If yes, are you making your changes on the server?
If not, that will be the source of your problem.

It's not impossible that the issue is caused by the new tag window, but, if there was a problem there, I would have expected it to have surfaced before now. I have been using the 'new' tag window exclusively for over 18 months now and have not seen this issue.

-marko

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:50:57 pm »

MusicBringer, Hi:

I am using the traditional tagging window but, I believe, this may not be relevant. Marko is correct regarding tagging behavior in a client/server environment. I have conducted a pertinent test, from the client perspective to prove the point. When I make a tag change, in this case, a custom field, on the client (which has its own unique remote MC library) side, it is not synced with the server until I select File > Library > Sync Changes with Library Server (a client side option). After cycling server views (as an example, Genre > Artist > Genre), the synced changes become visible on the server.

That being said, I adopted the philosophy early on that any MC clients would be used purely for playback. I only perform tag editing on the server, so I have never experienced this behavior before today until this test. So that was today's lesson for me. Thanks, Marko.

Cheers,
Lawrence

Edit: Along with a custom field, I also changed the tag of a standard field. The synced results were the same as described above.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »

Just to be clear, MusicBringer is discussing changing the actual tag properties in the library rather than the tag data itself. See "Manage library fields" in MC's options, and note MusicBringer's screenshot attached above in the first post.

Tag data will propagate from client to server so long as authentication is enabled. I do not believe that changes to the library setup, ie. tags, views etc. will sync back to the server. These need to done on the server MC, and are then pushed out the clients next time they connect.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 09:34:30 pm »

Marko, Hi:

I think you may be confused on the first post issue. That was my screenshot in which I referenced 'Manage Library Fields'. Perhaps I should have been more explicit in my last post. The sync operations were referencing tag data and NOT tag properties. Tag properties for custom fields, even if changed at the client, reverted back to what was established at the MC server, once the client was cycled (open/close/open). So, from my first post to this post, I hope it is clear that I do understand that tag data and tag properties are different.

For me, the 'take away' from this is that custom field tag properties, which are established at the server, supersede any remote changes made at the client. A change may take place, albeit meaningless, at the client but will only remain in place at the client for the life of the client process. The bottom line is one should not make tag property changes at the client because they are temporary in nature. However, tag data can be managed properly, client or server, with syncing as described in my previous post. And perhaps this client option is also relevant. It was checked for the test in the previous post: Tools > Option > Media Network > Client Options > Auto sync with server. I assumed that the syncing direction for this option was one-way, Server-to-Client.

So, based on my experience, are these accurate assumptions?

Cheers,
Lawrence

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:36 pm »

Yup, you got it. Although important to note that syncing changes from client to server only works with authentication enabled.
I haven't played with it very much, but there is also the option to have authentication, but setup as 'read only'.

The 'automatic' option works great, generally, changes, 'last played', 'number plays' etc. hit the server within a few minutes of being updated on the client.

Now, we should wait for MusicBringer to respond because all of this is kind of redundant noise in his thread if he turns out not to be using a client... (assuming he's a 'he') :)

.....MusicBringer?

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 08:28:53 am »

Are you using a client MC connected to a server?-marko

No.

And what was it I said that made you all think I was?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 09:02:17 am »

Nothing - just that server client setups are the most common to have tagging problems.  MC is generally rock solid with tagging on the server side

As to the issue, I've not had this problem as I understand it.  If you make a (specific as possible) example I'll test it

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 09:19:57 am »

If you make a (specific as possible) example I'll test it

... the same offer here.

Lawrence

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:37 am »

Of course now you are watching me It doesn't do what it did. Grrhh.

For example two of my custom fields are set to: Data Type List; Not Relational; List.

After a while - and I think it was happening when I switched back and forth when I was trying out the new tag window - the custom fields changed themselves (yeah I know what you are thinking) to: Data Type List; Not Relational; Standard. I didn't touch it, honest guv!

OK I did touch it. I made Flags into Audio, Data and not just Audio.

And I am now using Player 22.0.81.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:07:09 am »

MusicBringer, Hi:

One of the reasons I have not adopted the new tag window approach, is a residual (hanging around after being excused) data display problem (see image). It's annoying and the traditional method just 'flat out' works. Perhaps in time, I'll see the merit of categorization. Of course those pesky displays will have to go.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Pages: [1]   Go Up