INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Separate Multiple Artists  (Read 2184 times)

rexmcartor

• Recent member
Separate Multiple Artists
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:26 pm »

So I am currently trying to adapt to the transition from MediaMonkey, which I have been using for a very long time.  There seem to be several features I feel that JRiver either lacks or I just can't find.  One issue I have I feel probably has an easy fix.

In MM I tagged all my tracks in the Artist field as Artists 1;Artists 2;Artist 3; etc.  When I displayed in tree view under the Artist column all of these artists would be separate.  I liked this as it made searching, and creating smart lists extremely easy.  Now in JRiver it displays the artists all together as Artist 1/Artist 2/Artist 3.  This is extremely inconvenient, especially when trying to make a smart list.  Instead of being able to say I want every track which Artist 2 is involved with.  I now have to go through and find any version of A1/A2/A3 which they are part of.  In MM I was able to just pick that artist and it would get all the songs they were part of, regardless of if it was with other artists. 

So my question is, is there a way to separate these.  Basically just make JRiver show multiple artists separate.

Thanks

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Separate Multiple Artists
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:04:44 pm »

The Artist field supports lists: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is two list items
Album Artist is singular: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is a single item.

It may be the delimiter that's the problem, I'm not sure of all the options but ';' certainly works. In your posting you're showing a '/' and that may be the problem. (I've seen 'double slashes' also work but I can't remember if they were forward or backward ones).

Try a little experimentation on a couple of tracks. I find it handy to use a 3rd party tool (MP3Tag) to look at the 'raw' metadata to understand what's going on.

A careful 'search and replace' of the delimiter (if that's the problem) in MC will soon resolve things.

Spike

rexmcartor

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:40 am »

Thank you.  I never used album artist (I know most people on here do I just prefer using the artist tag).  It does appear to be an issue coming from MM to JRiver in that all things tagged properly for MM isn't right for JRiver.  So JRiver converted my ; to /.  I tried changing the / to a ; and the artists separated.  Thanks again.

Now if JRiver just fixes the syncing issues with handheld devices and maybe adds a wireless sync it'll be perfect.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:36 am »

I use Media Monkey for all the file/track data information and my semicolons don't change in Media Center.  Media Center and Media Monkey have worked seamlessly for all my library information.

The only thing I can think of is I use a space after the semicolon, where your example did not.

rexmcartor

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:02 pm »

I think that is what it was.  JRiver automatically added the space after when I changed it.  But apparently MM can read it without the space.
Pages: [1]   Go Up