INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynamic zones list going a little crazy  (Read 2934 times)

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
Dynamic zones list going a little crazy
« on: March 22, 2017, 04:26:03 pm »

First time poster here, so firstly a big thank you to Jim and all the JR team for a great product, and all the continued development/support. I have been a user since v18 and update to each new version. I forget how I found MC but I recall I was looking for something more flexible and capable (i.e BETTER!) than WMP or WMC - boy did I find it ;D I should also thank the regular contributors to this forum - I have learned a lot just reading here.

I mostly use MC for Audio and don't have a particularly large library, but I do have quite a few devices scattered around the house that can act as renderers.

My setup is an always-on W10 PC running as a Library Server; all PCs then use this Library. All UPNP/DLNA devices (TV's, Blu-ray player, Receiver, Chromecast Audios) are associated with a suitable DLNA Server defined on the Library Server, according to their capabilities (basically FLAC or no-FLAC). In some cases I hide these devices from the Zones list as I never actually use them as renderers. I mostly use Gizmo as a controller for all zones.

So the problem that has started recently - since one of the most recent auto-update releases (i am on 22.0.81 now) is that the dynamic zones list is changing on its own in an erratic way. It seems Zone IDs are getting mixed up when the device sleeps or goes to standby and thus drops off the network.

For example, I have a NUC (not an Id) with a local zone called 'Living Room'. I have another NUC with zones called 'Bedroom' and 'Bedroom (WDM)'. Both of these PCs sleep when not in use. Last night I was playing Music on 'Living Room'. Today, 'Living Room' has become a hidden zone and the 'Playing Now' list that was stopped last night now appears as that of 'Bedroom (WDM)'. However that zone is not the real 'Bedroom (WDM)' zone as a 2nd one appeared when I woke up that device.

Other zones that were hidden are also reappearing as un-hidden the next time I wake the device.

The only zones that have not been affected seem to be those that never sleep or drop their connection to the network, notably a couple of Chromecast Audios (using BubbleUPNP to make them DLNA renderers).

I have stopped and restarted the Library Server, cleared down and reset all the dynamic zone entries to no avail and am now finding it very difficult to use Gizmo as the zones listed are not correct.

I noticed a change was made in 22.0.79 relating to removed zones and can't help feeling this is in some way related to that change. There have also been a couple of recent posts reporting what sound like similar issues.

Thanks for any assistance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Dynamic zones list going a little crazy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 05:30:09 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  We'll take a look at this.  In the meantime, you could try installing an older version to see if it still works for you.

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 03:31:10 am »

Thanks Jim

I have re-installed 22.0.54, being the last version I manually downloaded, and reset all the dynamic zones.

I will monitor for a day or so to allow for normal sleeping/waking activities of the devices.

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:37:34 am »

It's been a few hours with 22.0.54 and so far all is working as expected - correct zones appearing when devices wake, etc.

One other item that now looks like it is probably related to this problem and maybe can help diagnose the issue:

One of my devices is a Sony Blu-ray Home Theatre System (BDV-N7100). It is connected via HDMI to the 'Living Room' NUC and provides the speakers for that zone - I feel the sound is better this way compared to using it via the DLNA zone (plus it's gapless  :) )

A few days ago a problem started occurring where it would revert to its 'Home' setting every so often and I would have to re-select the source. At first I thought it might be a fault with the device itself, but noticed it was occurring regularly every 30 minutes so guessed it might be something to do with the UPNP settings coming from my router so disconnected it from the network - it stopped happening. I still didn't connect this with the MC issue, having not yet realised there was an MC issue.

However, after re-installing 22.0.54 I reconnected the device to the network and the problem has not re-occurred since suggesting that whatever is going on with the MC zones is somehow responsible for this too - I'm guessing some sort of wake-up/polling of UPNP devices that should only occur once is happening repeatedly?

Hope this helps and thanks again.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 08:53:51 am »

Same problem here, using MC 22.0.81 on Windows 10.

Squeezebox zones get duplicated and another zone (Samsung TV) gets renamed every time I reopen MC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:13:08 pm »

Same problem here, using MC 22.0.81 on Windows 10.

Squeezebox zones get duplicated and another zone (Samsung TV) gets renamed every time I reopen MC.
Do the squeezebox zones show up the same multiple times in the tree with the same name?
As for the TV, did you rename it in the tree and then it reverts to default after restarting??

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:49:20 pm »

Do the squeezebox zones show up the same multiple times in the tree with the same name?
As for the TV, did you rename it in the tree and then it reverts to default after restarting??

For SB zones : Zones show up with different names (i.e., 1 zone with a generic "Squeezebox Radio" and another one with my custom name "Kitchen (SB Radio)".
For TV : Zone name reverts to default  ("[TV]UN55D6300") after TV is switched OFF then ON.

Never had these issues until recently (about 1 month ago).

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:10:12 am »

Just a note to confirm that the problems have not manifested in 22.0.54 after 24 hours or so, with all normal sleep/wake type activities occurring.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 08:57:48 am »

Just a note to confirm that the problems have not manifested in 22.0.54 after 24 hours or so, with all normal sleep/wake type activities occurring.

Thanks. I think I will roll back to 22.0.54 to see if my issues dissapear too.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 03:29:54 pm »

Thanks. I think I will roll back to 22.0.54 to see if my issues dissapear too.
There will be a build in about an hour or so to address the issue.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:02:16 pm »

I'm on 22.0.88 now. Seems to have solved my issues.

Thanks a lot !

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 05:31:20 pm »

Many thanks. I have updated to 22.0.88 and monitored today. All working OK again.

Thanks again for the quick response and resolution
Pages: [1]   Go Up