INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem after moving files to differ drive  (Read 2640 times)

sruddy

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem after moving files to differ drive
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:49:57 pm »

I moved my music files from C drive to D drive. JRiver has lost the artist and album folders. It's only pointing to the new drive D/Music/Track. It should be D/Music/Artist/Album/Track. How do I fix this? FWIW I just followed the wiki instructions on moving files.

aviateur

• World Citizen
Re: Problem after moving files to differ drive
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:19:04 am »

Hi:

Like you, I migrated my music library from C: to D:. I did this outside of MC. This was purely a wholesale drag-and-drop COPY operation inside Windows Explorer with the two drives, C: and D:. I was careful to preserve the C: data until I was sure the D: data was valid. At the conclusion of the copy operation, I changed the folders to watch (Tools > Options > Library & Folders >Auto-Import > Configure auto-import...) to point to the new music folders on the D: drive and then retagged the Filename fields with the 'Find & Replace' WITHIN Rename, Move, & Copy Files option. I changed the path prefix from C:\... to D:\.... That was the extent of the migration.

This approach preserved the integrity of the sub-folder order (D:\flac\[Artist]\[Album]. Which option within MC's Rename, Move, & Copy Files option did you choose? If you have preserved your C: drive data, I'm sure I can help you migrate your music library to the D: drive.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:52:32 am »

Hi:

I just ran another test. After physically moving an album outside of MC to an MC-watched folder on a different drive and then running 'Run Auto-Import Now', the library was updated with the new tag information for the moved files. So, the conclusion is there are many ways to accomplish the migration task.

Cheers,
Lawrence

sruddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 07:52:48 pm »

I used update data base to point to new location. Since it decided to lose my artist and album folders in the process I now need to know how to fix it. I suppose I could delete the library and try and follow what you did but I was hoping for an easier quicker fix.

sruddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:54 pm »

I fixed it. I ended up doing a rename and browsing to the first artist and made sure I picked the path that showed the Artist and album. The program then propagated changes for the whole library. Wow, this shouldn't be this hard, and it would be nice if there was a simple undo. I ended up restoring my library twice while trying to figure out how to fix it.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 08:36:09 pm »

I do not have any experience with the database option you mentioned. How large is your library? I only ask because of the time that would be required to rebuild your library. Unfortunately, I think you may be right. If your D: folder structure is just Music\Track as you indicated in your first post, I would rebuild your D: library by using either method: 1) the Find & Replace option WITHIN 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files' or 2) copy your entire library by dragging and dropping C:\Music to D:\Music within Windows Explorer. Then select the MC 'Run Auto-Import Now' option (File > Library > Import...) . These two methods will protect your original folder structure integrity.

Lawrence

sruddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 08:38:42 pm »

My c is gone I only have D:\Music and G:\Music which is my Music folder backup. It turns out it only fixed one artist so I have restored again and am in the same situation. No artist/album folders.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 08:43:44 pm »

Yeah, everyone will tell you that there's a bit of a learning curve with this product. But once you start to experiment with views and, perhaps, the application of the expression language, you will start to appreciate the rich functionality and start to gain an understanding of how thing work. My biggest irritant is the lack of respectable documentation for reference purposes. The forum can be 'hit or miss' some times when you ask questions. For the most part, you should get meaningful answers. That is the reason why I participate now. I committed to contributing. I was right where you are not to long ago. Good luck and don't get discouraged. The bottom line, it is a great media manager.

Cheers,
Lawrence

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 08:45:25 pm »

Is G: a backup of your original C:?

sruddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:14:19 pm »

Is G: a backup of your original C:?

D:\Music was copied from my C:\Music which was working fine. G:\Music was copied from my D:\Music for backup/ Now all my Thumbnails are gone and I still don't know how to restore the corrupted path. Hoping someone will come to the rescue. When I first got the program I had all types of missing info and someone from JRiver was nice enough to do a remote session with me and fixed everything swiftly.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 09:29:09 pm »

Does your D: drive resemble the attached image or is it truly just D:\[Track]? And my apologies in advance, I do not know how to establish a remote session but it is on my list of things to learn.

Lawrence

sruddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:06 pm »

Does your D: drive resemble the attached image or is it truly just D:\[Track]? And my apologies in advance, I do not know how to establish a remote session but it is on my list of things to learn.

Lawrence

No Mine are like this D:\Music\.38 Special\Wild-Eyed Southern Boys\01 Hold on Loosely.wav I just did a library tools rename using directories base path with a rule for artist and album. This was done after selecting all songs in the library. Not all of the thumbnails have returned so I'm not sure if I'll have to regenerate them or if there is some way to recover them. I can play songs now though!

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:12:06 pm »

From your description, it looks like your Artist/Album structure does indeed exist on the the D: drive. I assume you know that the MC library just references the files on your D: drive. It does not make another copy when you import. So, it is the definitions in your views that determine what fields (tags) are displayed. If you already knew this, I apologize.

Do you know if you previously stored your cover art (thumbnails) inside the file's tag data? I've attached an image of the option that I use. I elected to store the art work in each respective file because storage is cheap and I do not have to manage another complementary folder of art work.

Also, there are several ways to access related cover art. Look at the option Tools > Cover Art.

Lawrence

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:38 pm »

I can't completely follow what's going on here because I don't have the energy to read the entire thread.  But I'm pretty sure that you've mostly fixed your issues.  Congrats!

For your album thumbnails, try a couple of things:

1.  Verify the location of your master album covers directory:  Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder > (make sure this is the right folder on the correct drive).  It's possible that you left behind your album art on your original drive.  Or you may have put it somewhere else.  I'm not sure.
2.  Because you changed the path to all of your music files, the database pointers to any album covers on disk, in those same directories, might be broken.  So try doing a quick update and see if MC can find them again.  Highlight an album or two, then > (right click) > cover art > Quick find in file/ cover art directory .  That may locate them.  If that works, highlight many albums and do the same thing again.  I would do a couple of hundred at a time.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up