INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High MC Client CPU load and audio 'stutter'  (Read 1376 times)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
High MC Client CPU load and audio 'stutter'
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:31:00 pm »

I've seen this a few times now. One of my MC clients is showing peaky high CPU load and has 'stuttering' or 'interrupted' audio.

Windows 10 with MC 22.0.81. Gbit Ethernet connected.

The 'spikes' are from 'JRiver Web Application (32bit)' bouncing between 12% and 26% CPU load.

The elevated section in the middle is from 'Media Centre 22 (32bit)' suddenly jumping up to 55% CPU load for a period of time. The bouncing of the web application is still present.

This is the client machine at idle. Nothing being played anywhere. All players are 'stopped'.

In the past a reboot fixes this and I'm 99% certain that a reboot will fix it again now. Before I reboot this is there anything anyone want me to do to help diagnose the cause? Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before?

I've seen this a number of times with the latest production build of MC available at the time. (Always V22).

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: High MC Client CPU load and audio 'stutter'
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:22:49 pm »

MC will download cover art in the background if you allow it to.  It doesn't over-write anything you have.  Television EPG download might occur in the background.

Antivirus software can cause audio problems and high CPU usage.

We saw a problem a while ago that was related to login issues at Last.fm, but nothing recent.  Still it might be worth looking at the Services section in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 05:32:51 pm »

You could try switching the browser in MC (under Tree and View).

Spike1000

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:45:27 pm »

Thanks Jim for the options, interesting. On the client I went into Tools | Options | General  and unticked all the 'Services shown in the Tree' just for something to change that wouldn't have any effect (and it's something I don't ever use). When I came out of the options and saved the settings MC reloaded/refreshed the 'start' webpage and the sawtooth bouncing CPU load instantly stopped. The idle CPU load is now typically the normal 2%-3%.

Edit: The audio stuttering I was hearing has also gone away so it was related to the high CPU as I thought. It's only a little N2830 NUC I run headless.

Does that offer any clues as to the source of the problem?

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:09:56 am »

You could probably find out what it was by turning on a single service at a time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up