INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace low res with high res but keep playlist, play number etc data?  (Read 2196 times)

pwg

Hi, semi new to JRiver, so I may be missing something obvious, l but did search around looking. Apologies if asked yesterday and I'm blind to it.

I'm in the process of rebuying or ripping my old lower quality audio files with higher res stuff, however I want to retain the playlist and play number info for the old, lower quality files once they are replaced by the higher res versions.

I tried the find and replace option but couldn't find the correct settings to do as I wanted.

How would I do this?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

If both sets of files are in your library you can highlight all the old files and hit CTRL+C to copy their tags, then highlight the new files and use the CTRL+Shift+V (Edit->Paste Tags)... to paste tags into the new files.

pwg

Fantastic, thanks so much - so this will copy playlist and play numbers too?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team

Copies all tags.

pwg

Perfect, thanks so much  - liking JRiver even more!

blgentry

I'm pretty sure that technique won't work for playlists.  But I could be wrong.  After you try an experiment come back and let us know if this technique worked for you or not.

Good luck.

Brian.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen

Are you replacing mp3 files with flac files? Or just from low bitrate mp3 to high bitrate mp3?

shAf

Replace low res with high res but keep playlist, play number etc data?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 11:11:39 am »

Are you replacing mp3 files with flac files? Or just from low bitrate mp3 to high bitrate mp3?
Exactly what I was thinking. Playlists aren't much more than text files while indicating paths and file names. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the file extensions would probably be a problem(?)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

blgentry

^ No, they aren't text files.  They are database entries.  As such, I expect that they use the filekey() of each file that is in each playlist.  That's why simply copying properties won't work.  Each file has a unique filekey and you can't copy one to another.

I expect one will have to do replacements on the files.  Either using the manual method that I've used dozens of times, or using Glynor's File Ingestor utility.

Brian.

lepa

• MC Beta Team

'Rename, Move & Copy files' could be used also. Using 'Update Database to point new location' method especially. With that you could point databases mp3 entries to the new flac ones. That way all the library data would be given to those flacs including import date and so on.

I would first use rename method for my old files to ensure that every file is written to disk using my rename/move schema
Then I would do same thing to these better version but use different base folder
Last I would use update database to point new location to and use the basefolder of the better versions
That's it.

This method works if your files are named  exactly the same. You can test if there were orphans by making isMissing view and checking if some songs are missing and then fix those.

Library backups are your friend in case something goes wrong. Also maybe try with small patches first to ensure that you got it right (Undo also works)

pwg

Re: Replace low res with high res but keep playlist, play number etc data?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 06:51:42 pm »

Hi, and thanks for all the replies. Replacing both mp3's and some m4a files with higher res m4a (converted flac to alac) files. I can't use FLAC as my wife uses Apple, and our car won't play FLAC files either.

Tried the copy and paste suggestion above, which did all tags (play number helpful for us) bar playlists, which I manually added later prior to deleting the lower res files. Not ideal but it worked.

Appreciate the tip about Glynor's File Ingestor utility, blgentry. Just reading up on it now, may be beyond my pay grade, but does look interesting.

Thanks again to all.

Cheers,
Pages: [1]   Go Up