INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Casting Theater View to TV?  (Read 2108 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Casting Theater View to TV?
« on: April 04, 2017, 11:40:58 pm »

I have a PC with JRiver installed and would like to use theater view on my TV which is in another room in the house. Can't run HDMI cables or anything like that.

Is there a way to display theater view on my TV (it's a 2015 or 2016 Samsung Smart TV)? I'd be willing to use a keyboard, remote, or phone app to control it but would really like the theater view interface. I figure since the TV and PC are both connected to the same network this is probably doable, but I just don't know how to make it happen.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Casting Theater View to TV?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:36:03 am »

The TV can't display Theater View unless it is truly a monitor for the PC.  To do what you want, you would need to put a small computer next to your TV and use JRiver's Media Network.  The wiki has a topic on it.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:02:11 pm »

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:16:11 pm »

Neat device.
From what I gather from your link, it plugs into the TV's HDMI port. (seems like a lot of weight hanging off the port).
Too bad it doesn't have a network cable connection (WiFi doesn't work too good for BD streaming in my house).

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:23:03 pm »

A solid Wireless AC connection should be plenty of bandwidth for BD Streaming.  BD is going to be 20-35 Mbps, and Wireless AC should handle that.  With that being said, if coverage is not good, then wireless will drop a lot of packets, so it is possible that you could see network issues.

I would still be more concerned with the GPU.

As far as weight goes, they are pretty light weight.  I have one similar to this at work, and am not at all concerned about the HDMI port.  You could always add a short male to female HDMI cable and velcro the PC to the back of the TV.  Just make sure the exhaust fans have airflow.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:24:45 am »

Solution: Running Media Center on a laptop as a client with the server running on the PC in the basement. This solution isn't completely elegant because it does introduce another device other than the TV and the server, but it gets the job done perfectly.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up