INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume of Live TV is inconsistent between the channels (OTA)  (Read 1851 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Volume of Live TV is inconsistent between the channels (OTA)
« on: April 05, 2017, 07:22:26 am »

How does MC determine what volume level to use (play at) for the different TV channels for live TV?

I have tv stations that play at different levels, so when I switch channels I have to raise or lower the volume to match the tv channel previously played.

If there something embedded in the broadcast signal (that could be read) or is it due to the strength of the signal, or something else?

This OTA broadcast tv (USA).

Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Volume of Live TV is inconsistent between the channels (OTA)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:34:49 am »

We apply the same volume level to all channels via DirectShow.  There is no way of knowing what level each broadcaster actually uses.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:19:36 am »

Well-behaved broadcast channels should be normalized to EBU-R128 already (its a broadcast standard afterall), however I have no idea how well american stations adopted this (EBU is european afterall).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 09:08:22 am »

Thanks for your responses.

I did find this http://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness/broadcast-standards/

So the bottom line is that I should not expect, or try to figure out a way, for volume leveling to be done by MC for Live TV.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:48:25 pm »

Same problem in Australia.

Plus although the broadcasters claim that advertisements are broadcast at the same volume as programs, ads are obviously louder to the human ear. I believe they claim that technically the volume is the same in dB, but on the dBA scale they sound louder.

So we will both just have to keep using the volume control for each channel, and the mute button for ads, or record and skip the ads during playback.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up