INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Often-covered songs  (Read 1924 times)

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
OT: Often-covered songs
« on: July 11, 2003, 11:17:44 am »

What songs can you think of that have been very, very covered, and who has covered them. I'll start the list:

House of the Rising Sun -- I have found versions by: Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Frigid Pink, Grant Green & Donald Byrd, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, Joan Baez, Leadbelly, Mark O'Connor & Vassar Clements, Peter Paul and Mary, Secret Tunes, Sinead O'Connor, Tangerine Dream, The Animals, the Ventures, Tracy Chapman, and Waylon Jennings. I think Hendrix covered it too. I put most of those versions on a "House of the Rising Sun" mix CD, and now I'm looking for enough versions to fill a second CD. I'm sure they exist!

All Along the Watchtower -- Off the top of my head, I can only think of Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and Dave Matthews. But this is such a natural cover song... who else has done it?

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Re: OT: Often-covered songs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 11:28:19 am »

All Along the Watchtower -- Off the top of my head, I can only think of Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and Dave Matthews. But this is such a natural cover song... who else has done it?

Take a look here:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305161612&sql=H36761

Not too bad  ;)

Deivit

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 11:31:00 am »

House of the Rising Sun -- I have found versions by: Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Frigid Pink, Grant Green & Donald Byrd, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, Joan Baez, Leadbelly, Mark O'Connor & Vassar Clements, Peter Paul and Mary, Secret Tunes, Sinead O'Connor, Tangerine Dream, The Animals, the Ventures, Tracy Chapman, and Waylon Jennings. I think Hendrix covered it too. I put most of those versions on a "House of the Rising Sun" mix CD, and now I'm looking for enough versions to fill a second CD. I'm sure they exist!

You'll need more than one CD  :)
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305161612&sql=H559236

Deivit

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 11:38:45 am »

I would say that the Jazz standard 'Round Midnight is probably one of the most covered, at least in Jazz. Allmusic.com reports 998 albums with that song on it:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305161612&sql=H1110366

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 11:40:51 am »

How about Ave Maria?

I have versions from Jewel, Aaron Neville, Andre Boccelli, Sinead, and Maria Callas. Nearly every artist under the sun has done this one. The Jewel & Neville versions are the best. Callas's is more operatic...and nice too.

10-27

nameless

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 11:50:35 am »

I can beat you all--how about "Happy Birthday"?   :-*

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 12:14:39 pm »

All Along the Watchtower

Was a good version by Kiki Dee - or a name like it.

Do not thing it is on cd

JiiPee

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 12:29:48 pm »

http://www.coversproject.com/ "knows" that Bo Diddley's Who Do You Love has been covered at least 145 time

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 03:03:37 pm »

I think the officially most covered song of all time is "Yesterday" by The Beatles...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 09:21:47 pm »

The most played song (on radio) is "Yesterday" by the Beatles, the most covered is George Gershwins' "Summer Time". It has 1798 entries @ AMG.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS80306221444&sql=H1258359

V-Man

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 01:54:33 am »

"Unchained Melody" has been done to death too.

lOth

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 02:54:48 am »

I have found versions by: Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Frigid Pink, Grant Green & Donald Byrd, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, Joan Baez, Leadbelly, Mark O'Connor & Vassar Clements, Peter Paul and Mary, Secret Tunes, Sinead O'Connor, Tangerine Dream, The Animals, the Ventures, Tracy Chapman, and Waylon Jennings. I think Hendrix covered it too. I put most of those versions on a "House of the Rising Sun" mix CD, and now I'm looking for enough versions to fill a second CD. I'm sure they exist!

You MUST get the cover in French by Johnny Halliday! The title as been translated by 'Les portes du pénitencier' (actually the lyrics don't have much to do with the original) and I bet you'll find it hilarious.

See what I mean?

By the way, if you want to have him really cracking you up, get his cover of 'Hey Joe'

But avoid at all cost making fun of him publicly: believe it or not, he has MANY fans around the world (he managed to have them following him from France to Memphis and Las Vegas...), and they are quite intense when it comes to him. You might get into some serious trouble. I fear we might even get some protest on the board for my implying that these covers are somehow funny...

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 02:23:09 pm »

"All Along The Watchtower" was also covered by British "New Wave" pop group XTC on their GO2 album (from memory around 1979)

Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up