INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusrite 18i20 5.2 channel setup with bi-amp Fronts  (Read 3964 times)

haga7584

• Recent member
Focusrite 18i20 5.2 channel setup with bi-amp Fronts
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:49:54 am »

Hello everyone, been doing alot of research and need some help.  I'm trying to setup a 5.1 system with a couple differences. 

My original setup has a desktop pc with Xonar HDAV deluxe out to the amps thru rca to XLR connections.  But my fronts were active x-over by dbx 260.  The reason for this whole change was for better DAC, fully balanced outputs thru TRS, and just plain upgrade-itis.

Here's the hardware and details of what i'm trying to accomplish now...

HTPC --> Focusrite 18i20 --> (5) Crown XLS 2500 amps - speakers

Front L / R - Martin Logan SL3's - DIY bypass passive x-over for active x-over

Center - Martin Logan Aerius

Rear L / R - Magnepan II

Sub - (2) DIY Micro Marty 15" Dayton Audio RSS390HO's (note: potenially more in future)

I would like to biamp my Front L/R and also use 2 outputs (if possible) for my 2 subs.

Any help would be appreciated.  I have been playing around with PEQ section of JRiver and can't get things quite right.  So i'm willing to scratch all my settings to start new if someone can help.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Focusrite 18i20 5.2 channel setup with bi-amp Fronts
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:08:11 am »

It looks like you want to use 9 channels so you need to start by setting Output Format > Channels to 10 channels. JRiver will then use the channels in this order using 7.1 channel mapping:
1 - Left
2 - Right
3 - Center
4 - Subwoofer
5 - Rear Left (empty)
6 - Rear Right (empty)
7 - Surround Left
8 - Surround Right
9 - Channel 9 (empty)
10 - Channel 10

You will need to use these names for your routing since JRiver doesn't let one rename channels. I like to keep things in their original order as much as possible since it cuts down on confusion.
Use Parametric Equalizer > Mix Channels to Copy the Left to Rear Left and the Right to Rear Right. You can now use Left/Rear Left for the left channel and Right/Rear Right for the right channel.
Use Parametric Equalizer > High and Low pass filters for Left and Rear Left to make the active crossover. Do the same for the right.
Use Room Correction for Bass Management
Use Parametric Equalizer 2 > Mix Channels to Copy the Subwoofer to Channel 9 if you want another subwoofer output.
Use Tools > Advanced Tools > Audio Calibration to sent test signals to all channels for EQ, level testing, time alignment, etc.

You may need to rearrange some of the DSP to match this order:
Parametric Equalizer
Room Correction
Parametric Equalizer 2

I like to do all the active crossovers, time alignment, speaker EQ and routing in PEQ and then do any room correction EQ in PEQ 2. This makes it easier to do later testing since one can turn of PEQ 2 with one click.

You mentioned one reason for the change was for a better DAC. Just an FYI that all Crown amps have an A/D and D/A stage except the DriveCore Install Analog Series. Ultimately the Crown amp is the final DAC in your system. (I'm a Crown dealer.)

haga7584

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:56:43 am »

I'm so glad you replied Mojave, I've seen alot of your replies to fellow users but didn't fully answer my questions.  I will try this tonight, I believe the PEQ2 you utilized is my key answer.  Just to confirm on the output numbering you listed... this also correlates to the output number on the 18i20 correct?  I will assume yes for now unless you say nay.

Regarding the Crown AMP DAC, so the Focusrite DAC is kind of bypassed since the amp is at the end of the chain?

haga7584

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:48:09 pm »

OK, still having issues, i'm sure it's my fault in totally understanding the full setup of JRiver.  I also noticed that I posted this topic in MC 18, but I'm actually using the MC 22 if that matters any.  Anyways, here's my setup after redoing all my hardware and software connections....

Hardware
     Focusrite outputs
       1.  Front Left High
       2.  Front Right High
       3.  Center
       4.  Subwoofer Left
       5.  Front Left Low
       6.  Front Right Low
       7.  Surround Left
       8.  Surround Right
       9.  Subwoofer Right
      10. empty

Software
       Audio - Focusrite USB (ASIO)

Output Format
           10 channels with JRSS mixing

PEQ
           Copy Left to RL
           HP at 300 (Left)
           LP at 120 (RL)
           Copy Right to RR
           HP at 300 (Right)
           LP at 120 (RR)
           HP at 120 (Center)
           HP at 120 (SL,SR)
           HP at 20 (Sub)
           LP at 80 (Sub)

PEQ 2
          copy Sub to #9

Room Correction
           under the Sub, the Bass Management was ghosted out, so I couldn't make any changes

so please tell me what I'm doing wrong because I did the Audio Calibration and pink noise were coming out as they should but also to other speakers too.  Subwoofer Right wasn't working and Subwoofer Left had high freqs going to it.  Surround speakers were acting more like fronts too.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:27 am »

Which audio cal signal did you use? 5.1 or 7.1?
Do you mean you played the L signal and got sound from which output channels?
You seem to be discarding low frequency content from C, SL, SR btw, do you mean you want to sum that into the lfe channel but can't for some reason?
Pages: [1]   Go Up