INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie needs to optimize for both desktop speakers and DLNA. Help please  (Read 1569 times)

patmarcus

• Recent member

Hi there

Just started my free trial today, having heard JR has the ability to deliver much better SQ for the files held on my PC through my DLNA devices.
A couple of really obvious questions if I may, dear experts.

1. Is this premise actually right - that JRiver will deliver better SQ than Windows Media Player, playing exactly the same PC-stored files (96/24 Flac Vinyl rips) over DLNA ? If so, I`ll definitely buy it.
2. That it achieves this by routing the order in a way that bypasses any internal mixer and processing - but that in order for this to happen I have to manually set the output to a WASAPI, Asio or Kernell ?

3. That JR will also deliver better SQ to my PC USB desktop speakers than my normal playback software - VLC ?

However, my USB desktop speakers are a BOSE system that is limited to 16/44 or perhaps 16/48. Is there a way of sending a downmixed signal to my USB speakers but sending full fat, untampered with 24/96 via DLNA. The software itself tells me that I can do something with DSP but I dont really understand.

Thanks all.

patmarcus

• Recent member

Ive since discovered that in spite of setting to WASAPI, JRiver is NOT sending a 9624 signal to my Meridian audio system (via a HEOS Link HS2), at least according to the meridians display.
Are there settings in the DLNA server area I need to change, too ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

JRiver, as a DLNA server, may be converting.  Check the conversion options for the server under Tools > Options > Media Network.

patmarcus

• Recent member

Thanks so much JimH. It was indeed. Ive res-et it to "Original" and all is well in terms of the output.

Any advice on my other queries - particularly the whole DSP / Desktop speakers thing ? I cant afford to replace them yet with Hi res compatible devices.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You can select the DLNA server settings to not convert the audio. (You did that already). And in the normal audio output settings, you can separately select to down convert to 44/16 or whatever you need. Look under the audio output DSP settings.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

patmarcus

• Recent member

Really sorry AndrewFG
Im just not familiar enough with the software yet to understand

I go to player / playback options
I see my Bose audio device as the top item
I choose DSP and output format from the settings drop down

and then what ?  Output encoding seems to be all about Dolby Dig and DSD so I ignore that.
then in the list below I try keeping my input as 96 but changing my output to 41 or 44
I go back to my player and try to play a track. I still get an error message along the lines of

"Playback could not be started on the output WASAPI" at whatever Ive selected the output to be.

So, does this mean that actually the problem is the Bose cant receive WASAPI ? However, if I re-set this to "Direct Sound" in the main settings then wont ALL my audio (DLNA and desktop) be routed through the windows mixer........which obviates the very sound quality advantage of JRiver over say, Windows media player.

Its this lack of understanding that prompted my very first question - ie is JR actually capable of delivering better SQ via DLNA than say, Win Media Player and if so, what settings do I need to achieve that.

Sorry, Im not more expert on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up