INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Instructions: Upgrading the IdNUC Firmware  (Read 27070 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Instructions: Upgrading the IdNUC Firmware
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:17:02 pm »

A Media Center Id firmware upgrade is available for the JRiver Id's that are based on Intel NUC's, both the original 2820's and NUC5's (the NUC6's already have the Media Center Id firmware).

You do not need to upgrade your Id firmware if you don't need the extra features (image support, library compatibility with MC22 or later for Windows/linux, etc).

Note: This will require an empty USB stick with at least 2GB of storage.

To complete the upgrade, follow these steps carefully.

1) If you already have a Media Center 22 Id license (or above), skip to step 2, otherwise:
    Send an email to superid (at) jriver (dot) com to get a new Id license. Please include will your Id Model and Serial number from the bottom of the Id.

2) Back up your existing Id libraries and any media files contained on the Id's internal storage!
    DO NOT do this upgrade without a backup!
    DO NOT do this upgrade without a backup!

2a) To back up the library, go into MediaCenter on the Id and do:
File->Library->Backup Library
In the left Pane click on File System
In the right Pane double click on export
Then in the right pane double click on media
Click on save (accepting the default file name as displayed).

2b) Connect to your Id with a PC or Mac. Retrieve the Id's IP address with function 11 in the Id menu.  Then on a PC browse to the address like this:
\\192.168.0.100\InternalStorage\media
or on a Mac
Go->Connect to Server
smb://192.168.0.100/InternalStorage/media

Where you should find your library backup. Copy it to your Mac or PC. Do not proceed without this step working!

3) Make sure all of your media files on the Id (if any) are backed up off of the Id! They are in the same place as in step 2b. You should always have a backup of your media!

4) Download the appropriate repair image (just over 1 GB) from the list below.
Media Center 20 repair image (for the 2820 Id's)http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair13.iso
Media Center 20 repair image (for the NUC5CPYH Id's)http://files.jriver.com/Id/Id2/id2repair5.iso
Media Center 22 repair image (for the 2820 and NUC5CPYH): http://files.jriver.com/Id/Id3/id3repair4.iso
Media Center Id repair image (MC24 updatable online to MC25)(all NUC models): http://files.jriver.com/Id/IdX/idXrepair7.img
Media Center Id repair image (MC25)(all NUC models): http://files.jriver.com/Id/IdX/idXrepair8.img (Latest)

Important: If you're using an older repair image with a .iso extension, change the downloaded image extension to .img (Example: Change id3repair4.iso to id3repair4.img)

Next, you will need to burn this image to the USB stick using Rufus (if on Windows) or dd (if on Linux or Mac). dd is for experts ONLY. You can easily destroy your OS if you make a mistake with dd.

Using Rufus

5) You can download Rufus for free here: https://rufus.ie/downloads/
    The following instructions were written for version 2.3 (rufus-2.3.exe).
    Once downloaded, make sure the USB stick is plugged into your computer and run Rufus by using the .exe file.

5a) With Rufus running, make sure the checkbox item: Create a bootable disk using is checked, and make sure DD Image is selected in the dropdown menu next to it. The rest of the fields should be correct by default.
5b) Click the disk picture to the right of the dropdown menu to find and select the repair image you downloaded.

Important: Once you select the image, the dropdown menu will change to ISO Image. Make sure to change it back to DD Image. If you don't, it will pop-up a message that it detected an ISOhybrid image. If this happens, make sure to choose "Write in DD image mode" before clicking OK.

5c) Make sure your USB stick is the selected device then hit start.
5d) When finished, eject the USB stick.

6) Remove any external drives you may have had connected to the Id. Plug the USB stick you made in your Id and power on the Id. Boot the USB stick by hitting F10 during the boot process and selecting the USB drive.
(note: the Id requires an Ethernet connection to install firmware and the license).

Note: With slower monitors, the BIOS check may complete before anything shows up on the monitor. If you see the blue GRUB boot loader screen, you missed the boot menu. Reboot the Id and try again, but this time, try pressing F10 slowly and repeatedly (about once a second), once you see the light on the USB stick start blinking. If the USB stick does not have a light, start pressing F10 before anything shows up on the monitor. If you press F10 too quickly, you may cause the Id to freeze.

7) At that point you'll see the screen with the red cloud background and 4 options. Select the first choice: Repair.

Note: When finished booting it will come up to a menu with the repair options. Starting with the IdX image we've added a version string to the bottom of that menu so you can be certain you are booting the correct image, if you DON'T SEE THE VERSION STRING you are booting an older repair image!

8 ) When you get to the repair menu, just to make sure everything on your Id file system is OK, choose option 1 to check/repair the Id file system.

9) Next, select option 4 (Restore the Id firmware).

10) Next, you will be shown your drives. Only one drive should appear! If you have more than one, remove the external drives and reboot and try again.
      In the prompt 'Enter the name of the drive to reinstall to.' You SHOULD see 'default = sda.' If you do, just hit enter without entering anything.

10) You'll then be provided with the details of your existing drive. If everything looks good hit y and enter to continue.

11) At this point you'll be given the option to try to preserve (migrate) your MC20 or MC22 settings and Library. You will want to do this! Hit y and enter to continue.

12) The settings and library will be saved and new firmware will be installed, then the settings and library will be restored. This will take a couple of minutes.

13) When finished you will be prompted to reboot. When the reboot gets back to the bios level remove the USB stick.

14) The system should boot into text mode with HDMI initialization. If you were in headless text mode or GUI mode before, select the proper menu entry to reboot into that mode.

15) You'll need to put the new license onto your Id. You should do this through the Id menu option 18 and follow the prompts and select.

16) When it asks if this is the first time this license was used, enter 'y' only if you had to request a new license. If you're using a Media Center 22 Id license that your IdNUC shipped with, answer 'n'.

Possible issues, you MAY lose the access key you had before the update. If you do, go into Options->Media Network and reset the access key, then click to get a new one.

If your library is missing, you can copy it back to the Id share (though it should be there already) and restore using the
File->Library->Restore Library option.

Please post any problems here.  Thanks.

Lat update January 7 2019

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC22 Id firmware for Intel NUCs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 03:53:21 am »

Does this include those of us with a USB ID?

I'm not sure I can read the numbers on the stick.

;D
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:46:44 am »

Does this include those of us with a USB ID?

I'm not sure I can read the numbers on the stick.

;D
Yes.
Send in the number from your invoice.

Bob

DrRob

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:04:59 pm »

Tried to update the Id firmware but could not get the NUC to respond to F10.  Any ideas why I can't get the Id into the Boot Menu or the setup menu?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:00:16 pm »

Tried to update the Id firmware but could not get the NUC to respond to F10.  Any ideas why I can't get the Id into the Boot Menu or the setup menu?
You don't have one of those funky keyboards where you have to press a Function Key modifier then the desired F key do you? We have several of those here and you have to do that or the bios ignores you.

DrRob

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:20:51 pm »

No. I tried that and also tried a wired keyboard. I purchased the Id in March 2016 and have never done anything with the BIOS. Just the updates that were released.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:07 pm »

Yes.
Send in the number from your invoice.

Bob

Cool. Done.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:22:06 pm »

No. I tried that and also tried a wired keyboard. I purchased the Id in March 2016 and have never done anything with the BIOS. Just the updates that were released.
That's pretty odd.
Did you try different ports? The USB2 ports on the back may work better with USB 1 devices like keyboards.

DrRob

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:31:25 am »

Got my keyboard to work. MC22 Id up and running thanks

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 08:25:19 am »

are all the features included in the windows version included with the id version?   Also, I purchased the USB stick but don't have the invoice anymore.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 06:18:29 pm »

are all the features included in the windows version included with the id version?   Also, I purchased the USB stick but don't have the invoice anymore.

I know for sure that TV is limited to the Windows version at the mo'.

You might be able to plead your case if you dredge up emails and financial transaction details. Don't know. Just guessing there.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 10:55:58 am »

I know for sure that TV is limited to the Windows version at the mo'.
No CD ripping support or integrated webpage support in linux yet either.

I'm sure deanna (at) jriver (dot) com could find your details for your purchase.

czrtly

• Recent member
Re: MC22 Id firmware for Intel NUCsl
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 10:52:55 pm »

I get /dev/sda3 contáis a file system with errors, check forced.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
It fails to open the shell and boots with MC20.

Before that I made the backup of the library to an external USB hd, it took a couple of days 3 files failed. Maybe the Nuc Hd got messed during the backup? I guess a full format/reinstall is in order? What steps should I take?

Best regards

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 07:59:18 am »

I get /dev/sda3 contáis a file system with errors, check forced.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
It fails to open the shell and boots with MC20.

Before that I made the backup of the library to an external USB hd, it took a couple of days 3 files failed. Maybe the Nuc Hd got messed during the backup? I guess a full format/reinstall is in order? What steps should I take?

Best regards

I got a dud response at step 8 - Check File System.

Along the lines of:
Code: [Select]
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
e2fsck 1.42.12 29-Aug-2014
fsck.ext2 No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/p1
Possibly non-existent drive?

So, I ditched the default Rufus Hybrid-Iso image mode for DD mode (refer install step 5) and almost all came good - see pic:
Rufus Image Type Pic

[EDIT: The forum pic attachment function isn't working for me]

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:19 am »

Following on from my last entry, I've been mostly successful in upgrading to Id MC 22 from the MC 20 Id USB Kit.

I've restored the MC 20 library and I can locate the files stored on a local external USB and on network shares. Best of all, they play back! Nice.

However, I'm getting a consistent fail message on start up that puts a hold on boot progress (so more than a tad annoying, as it requires manual intervention to kick it over the barrier).

What I'm seeing is this:
[....] Checking file systems...fsck from util-linux 2.52.2
/dev/sda3 is mounted
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

fsck failed with status code 8
failed (code 8 )
[FAIL] File system check failed. A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable. Please repair the file system manually ... failed!

The system then asks for the root password (no good for me as I don't have the keys to the kingdom) or to enter Ctrl-D for the boot up to continue.

If I use the file manager that's part of Library Backup as a file contents viewer, I cannot spot the folder /var/log/fsck but that doesn't mean it's not there (could be hidden?). Anyway, I've got no obvious means of grabbing the log file mentioned in the error message (if it exists). If it should be there and it could be of use, please provide guidance on how to grab it.

I'd really like some guidance on how to deal with this bump in the road, i.e. avoiding the need for manual intervention to enter Ctrl-D. At the moment, the unit won't boot up by itself - so it's not ticking one of the Id's key boxes..   

czrtly

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:55 am »

I got the dud response too! and continued to install (last resort) but in my case there seems to be a fail on the HD... (I think I have a 2 part problem?) how to fix the partition (the fix utuility doesn't do anything) and install MC22

best regards,
Antonio Rivas

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 09:59:35 am »

If you are having issues with the filesystem check you can boot the upgrade/repair stick and run menu option 1 which checks the filesystems on the installed drive.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:41 am »

Umm, I see you did try the filesystem repair.
Did you both get the same message?

Code: [Select]
e2fsck 1.42.12 29-Aug-2014
fsck.ext2 No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/p1
Possibly non-existent drive?

That is a bug or the partition is missing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »

Just double checked the fsck issue and can't reproduce it here.
Are you booting the update image with no other external drives attached?

Which NUC revision are you using?

Are you booting using F10 or have you changed the bios to boot off of USB drives first?
Are you booting the repair image in the default mode or the failsafe mode?

The script for drive checking was changed to also support drives on internal slots but we haven't produced any in that format.

Hmmm, Brad just seems to have duplicated this issue, it depends on how the usb stick is made with rufus. He'll alter the instructions above. Basically it involves when rufus puts up a popup to create the stick in ISO image mode or dd image mode. The correct answer is dd image mode.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »

Hmmm, Brad just seems to have duplicated this issue, it depends on how the usb stick is made with rufus. He'll alter the instructions above. Basically it involves when rufus puts up a popup to create the stick in ISO image mode or dd image mode. The correct answer is dd image mode.

I concur ... refer my post above and the image included here:
Rufus Image Type Pic

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 04:47:43 pm »

Are you booting using F10 or have you changed the bios to boot off of USB drives first?
Are you booting the repair image in the default mode or the failsafe mode?

Checked the installation, the BIOS is setup to boot from the onboard SSD but I still get the message mentioned before on boot up:

[....] Checking file systems...fsck from util-linux 2.52.2
/dev/sda3 is mounted
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

fsck failed with status code 8
failed (code 8 )
[FAIL] File system check failed. A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable. Please repair the file system manually ... failed!

The repair image was booted in default mode.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »

For some reason your repair stick is coming up as sda not sdb as would the normal case. It doesn't make sense if you are writing in dd image mode since the image is designed to come up secondary to the internal drive. The image mode of rufus makes the usb stick mountable by windows (it should not be) and writes it's own boot structure.
You might try the regular repair stick from the repair thread for your NUC. It's using sda as a fixed target.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:01 pm »

Bob, I think our wires might be crossed.

The boot up message I've provided is what I'm seeing after the repair/upgrade is complete, the USB is out and the unit is on its own during a subsequent boot. As mentioned prior, all I have to do is manually enter Ctrl+D after the fail advice and the boot up carries on and MC is, to simple tests, network and music functional. So, it works. I just want it to work with out requiring an apparently unnecessary / unhelpful user intervention step.

For this sort of situation, I would have thought that the internal hard drive would register with the system as sda. Have I misunderstood something basic?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 09:02:38 am »

Bob, I think our wires might be crossed.

The boot up message I've provided is what I'm seeing after the repair/upgrade is complete, the USB is out and the unit is on its own during a subsequent boot. As mentioned prior, all I have to do is manually enter Ctrl+D after the fail advice and the boot up carries on and MC is, to simple tests, network and music functional. So, it works. I just want it to work with out requiring an apparently unnecessary / unhelpful user intervention step.

For this sort of situation, I would have thought that the internal hard drive would register with the system as sda. Have I misunderstood something basic?
If the filesystem clean from the repair disk is used successfully you won't get that message on boot.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 02:10:23 pm »

If the filesystem clean from the repair disk is used successfully you won't get that message on boot.

Got it.

Will give that plan a go, when I can, and report back.

EDIT: Misunderstood. Initially thought you meant run Id Repair option: Repair (failsafe)

However, on a re-read, you appear to be asking whether I've applied the following from the advised protocol in the opening post:
8 ) When you get to the repair menu, just to make sure everything on your Id file system is OK, choose option 1 to check/repair the Id file system.

I've already done this step and got a clean bill of health. In fact, I installed the original USB Id Kit and then applied the latest MC20 Id 1 repair just to make sure the MC22 Id repair wasn't having to deal with some weird problem that might have occurred over time somehow.

When I run MC22 Id Repair Option 1 - Check/repair the Id filesystems, the response that I get is:
Checking/Repairing the Id filesystem
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
/dev/sda1: clean, 78082/1048574 files, 758658/4194304 blocks
Checking/Repairing the Id EXPORT filesystem
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
/dev/sda3: clean, 19/13344768 files, 885964/53364630 blocks
finished, hit enter to return to the menu

For completeness, I've also just now run 2 - Repair boot issues and that process return "No error reported"
+
6 - Recreate the /export (InternalStorage) partition that completed successfully

And then, just for fun, I rebooted the unit and then ran 4 - Restore the Id firmware where I'm seeing:
NAME   MAJ:MIN   RM     SIZE   RO   TYPE   MOUNTPOINT
sda          8:0        0   223.6G    0     disk

Enter the name of the drive to re-install to (default = sda):
Where I just hit enter in response and am presented with the sda disk information and the standard line about seeing a disk size > 60 GB, so I respond with "y" to the continue question and "y" to the subsequent preserve settings question.

Then on reboot, I'm presented with the familiar GNU GRUB start up screen and just leave the system to default to *Debian GNU/Linux and the boot appears to go the same way as before and pull up with the message advised and the need for manual intervention with e2fsck: cannot continue, aborting / fsck exited with status code 8 that then requires a Ctrl+D to allow the system to continue.

And, as noted before, the Id boots to MC after that no problem. I set up for GUI operation, go through a reboot (Fail Code 8 & Ctrl+D required) and then the desktop shows up and everything looks like normal.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 11:28:03 am »

Got it.

Will give that plan a go, when I can, and report back.

EDIT: Misunderstood. Initially thought you meant run Id Repair option: Repair (failsafe)

However, on a re-read, you appear to be asking whether I've applied the following from the advised protocol in the opening post:
I've already done this step and got a clean bill of health. In fact, I installed the original USB Id Kit and then applied the latest MC20 Id 1 repair just to make sure the MC22 Id repair wasn't having to deal with some weird problem that might have occurred over time somehow.

When I run MC22 Id Repair Option 1 - Check/repair the Id filesystems, the response that I get is:
For completeness, I've also just now run 2 - Repair boot issues and that process return "No error reported"
+
6 - Recreate the /export (InternalStorage) partition that completed successfully

And then, just for fun, I rebooted the unit and then ran 4 - Restore the Id firmware where I'm seeing:Where I just hit enter in response and am presented with the sda disk information and the standard line about seeing a disk size > 60 GB, so I respond with "y" to the continue question and "y" to the subsequent preserve settings question.

Then on reboot, I'm presented with the familiar GNU GRUB start up screen and just leave the system to default to *Debian GNU/Linux and the boot appears to go the same way as before and pull up with the message advised and the need for manual intervention with e2fsck: cannot continue, aborting / fsck exited with status code 8 that then requires a Ctrl+D to allow the system to continue.

And, as noted before, the Id boots to MC after that no problem. I set up for GUI operation, go through a reboot (Fail Code 8 & Ctrl+D required) and then the desktop shows up and everything looks like normal.

Thanks, you've done everything right it seems. I'm not sure what's going on. Can you get me remote access to it and PM the details to me?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 05:49:12 pm »

Thanks, you've done everything right it seems. I'm not sure what's going on. Can you get me remote access to it and PM the details to me?

Cheers PMs away. Give me a bit of time to sort out setting things up for you. Worst case scenario, you'll get the inside scoop early next week. Hopefully though I can give you what you need later today (my time).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 05:37:22 pm »

We've discovered a bug (thanks astromo) in the new Id firmware dealing with mounting external drives.
If you install the new firmware, please don't setup external drive mounting (either read-only or read-write) until we can get an update out.
If you do your export partition won't be mounted properly and will get stuck with a disk check at boot time.
Simply disable external disk mounting for the time being (and reboot) to work around the issue.

Thanks,
Bob

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 08:54:38 pm »

Nice work Bob.

Based on your last comment, disregard my latest PM.

Hopefully an update will be pretty easy to sort out. Let me know if you want to use my set up to test out the update prior to public release..  ;)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 01:51:57 pm »

We've discovered a bug (thanks astromo) in the new Id firmware dealing with mounting external drives.
If you install the new firmware, please don't setup external drive mounting (either read-only or read-write) until we can get an update out.
If you do your export partition won't be mounted properly and will get stuck with a disk check at boot time.
Simply disable external disk mounting for the time being (and reboot) to work around the issue.

There is a OTA update to fix this issue (external drive mounting).
Get it by doing option 12 from your Id menu.
You will end up 22.0.80 for the JRiverId version.
If you were mounting external drives, you will need to run diskmenu once to re-enable it and reboot after which drives should show up in their proper places.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 03:24:52 pm »

There is a OTA update to fix this issue (external drive mounting).
Get it by doing option 12 from your Id menu.
You will end up 22.0.80 for the JRiverId version.
If you were mounting external drives, you will need to run diskmenu once to re-enable it and reboot after which drives should show up in their proper places.

Sweet. I'll give it a bash. Thanks bob.

EDIT:

Yep. AOK. Works as expected. Nice one.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 06:37:26 pm »

Sweet. I'll give it a bash. Thanks bob.

EDIT:

Yep. AOK. Works as expected. Nice one.
Thanks for the report back!

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 10:45:26 am »

We have an MC22 Id firmware upgrade for the JRiver Id's that are based on Intel NUC's (both the original 2820's and NUC5's)

Hi guys, you made a great job, no problems upgrading my 2820 NUC.
I'm wondering if you are planning to extend the support to the most recent NUC7s, as I'd like to upgrade to  a more powerful processor.  ;)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 04:20:20 pm »

Hi guys, you made a great job, no problems upgrading my 2820 NUC.
I'm wondering if you are planning to extend the support to the most recent NUC7s, as I'd like to upgrade to  a more powerful processor.  ;)
I know we had it working on a NUC6. Not sure about the NUC 7's

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 07:34:28 pm »

I know we had it working on a NUC6. Not sure about the NUC 7's

I tried with a NUC7-i7, but the install hangs while copying files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 09:23:51 am »

Doesn't sound like it's finding your disk.
Is it a sata ssd or m2 drive?

Also, are you using a Id3 build stick?

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 10:04:55 am »

Doesn't sound like it's finding your disk.
Is it a sata ssd or m2 drive?

Also, are you using a Id3 build stick?

It's a M2 drive.
Last week I tried with both the original 2015's key and the last Id3 build.
The first one doesn't find the ethernet; Id3 stops while copying files.
(If necessary I may try again and take note of the last file copied).

BradATIMA

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 10:36:07 am »

It looks like some of the NUC7 i7s come with a stick of Intel's Optane. Do you know if your NUC7 has an Optane stick? If so, you could try removing it and then trying to do the install.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 12:32:08 pm »

Well, it seams that the problem was with the M2 disc.
I removed the M2 and installed a sata disc: it works!
Thanks ;-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 12:55:49 pm »

Good!  And well done, Brad, for suggesting it.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 07:45:58 pm »

Sorry guys, it's the first time I hear about Intel Octane, but according to the online photos it has a different pin layout that M2 drives (2 slots vs. 1); mine is a M2 for sure.
Are we talking about the same thing? I mean, are standard M2 drives supposed to work? :-)

[edit]  My drive is a Corsair Force MP500 Series M.2 SSD

BradATIMA

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 07:50:35 am »

Optane does have a slightly different pin layout than M.2 SSDs; however, it still plugs into an M.2 slot. We thought we had the Id installer working on M.2 SSDs, but either something changed with the 7th generation NUCs or there is still a problem with M.2 SSDs. At this point, we can't really test it out without having one of the 7th generation NUCs and an M.2 SSD.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 08:45:27 am »

OK, ASAP I'll try again with the M2 drive and let you know.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 01:22:50 pm »

I just updated my 2820 Nuc to the latest and I'm having a strange issue:   Sometimes it boots I can't access it through panel and terminal and my other ID doesn't "see" it.  But the gui is present if i hook up a monitor and it's communicating with my network enough to show up.  If i reboot once or twice things seem to work.

Any thoughts?   

BradATIMA

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 07:50:58 am »

I just updated my 2820 Nuc to the latest and I'm having a strange issue:   Sometimes it boots I can't access it through panel and terminal and my other ID doesn't "see" it.  But the gui is present if i hook up a monitor and it's communicating with my network enough to show up.  If i reboot once or twice things seem to work.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like the Id is either having problems connecting to your network or there is something funny going on with Media Network. The next time you can't access the Id through Panel, check to see if it has an IP address (option 11).

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 04:34:25 am »

Bob, could you point me to some sort of a summary of improvements since Id 20.0.100/MC 20.0.141-7, which is the one I am running on my original Id, the very first one you sold? I am trying to find out if to upgrade to stay on the current path.

Many thanks,
Rafal

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 06:18:01 am »

Bob, could you point me to some sort of a summary of improvements since Id 20.0.100/MC 20.0.141-7, which is the one I am running on my original Id, the very first one you sold? I am trying to find out if to upgrade to stay on the current path.
That's difficult.  You could look at the New Features topics on the MC21 and MC22 for Windows boards to see what has changed.  Compatibility with other MC devices is a big one, but may not affect you.

The setup options in Panel are a lot different now.  The text menu has new features.

If you're happy with what you have, there is no big disadvantage to staying with it.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2017, 06:26:57 am »

Thank you, Jim. My Id has always been unpredictable in terms of "no signal" coming after a series of power on/offs of the attached receiver. This is something I have discussed in the past with Bob and others here, and the issue has never been fully resolved. It was determined that the most likely culprit were the Linux HDMI drivers used by the Id and the lack of their thorough testing that would have covered my amp/receiver, Anthem MRX 710. My main interest in upgrading the firmware is driven by the hope that the Linux system on it would also come with more modern, and hopefully more tested, drivers. The other reason is just not staying behind: security patches etc. What do you think?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2017, 10:47:54 am »

Thank you, Jim. My Id has always been unpredictable in terms of "no signal" coming after a series of power on/offs of the attached receiver. This is something I have discussed in the past with Bob and others here, and the issue has never been fully resolved. It was determined that the most likely culprit were the Linux HDMI drivers used by the Id and the lack of their thorough testing that would have covered my amp/receiver, Anthem MRX 710. My main interest in upgrading the firmware is driven by the hope that the Linux system on it would also come with more modern, and hopefully more tested, drivers. The other reason is just not staying behind: security patches etc. What do you think?
The system is updated to Jessie and has a much newer kernel.
That MAY solve your issues. It depends more on if they are driver issues or NUC firmware related. The interaction between the firmware and the drivers with regards to HDMI seems very complex.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 12:05:56 pm »

The system is updated to Jessie and has a much newer kernel.
That MAY solve your issues. It depends more on if they are driver issues or NUC firmware related. The interaction between the firmware and the drivers with regards to HDMI seems very complex.

Thank you, Bob, your answer is much appreciated. I think I will take the plunge and hope for the best. I suppose I need to get the new key/license from you before I can proceed. I will send you a PM in a moment.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up