INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless vs Crossfade - Feature Request???  (Read 2934 times)

gkerber

Gapless vs Crossfade - Feature Request???
« on: July 11, 2003, 09:24:42 pm »

I use all ape encoding, so gapless playback works perfectly.

However sometimes I delete tracks on an album or I do "random" and at those times, crossfade would be better than gapless.

If we had some way to say gapless, unless the next track is not from the same album and in ascending order?  Then I'd get gapless when playing full albums, but ANYTIME the next track is not consecutive, it would do crossfade for the track transisition.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gapless vs Crossfade - Feature Request???
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 02:49:30 am »

In theory it would be nice, but I think it could be too "custom", especially for new users...if you know what I mean. But, a simpler way to change playback settings as crossfade/gapless/standard would be great...like a right-click on the play button showing a menu of which type you want... AND that MC actually remebers crossfade settings... it feels crazy to switch from gapless to crossfade and having to change the default timing (4 s.) every time... can't be so hard to implement?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 03:02:47 am »

a simpler way to change playback settings as crossfade/gapless/standard would be great...AND that MC actually remebers crossfade settings

You can do this using the Zone Manager. Just create a new zone, name it whatever you want, configure the settings. Then you can easily switch between different playback settings by choosing the appropriate zone from the list. I have 8 zones setup (4 for each soundcard).

Maybe then a good feature request would be an option to associate a specific zone with a specific playlist/smartlist/view scheme.

Rob

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 07:52:48 am »

In theory it would be nice, but I think it could be too "custom", especially for new users...if you know what I mean.

It would certainly be an advanced feature, hard for novices to undertand, but I really really want it.....

And I want Audiophile Replay Gain too.  It's the little loose ends that will take MC from a good program to a great program.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 08:47:24 am »

As long as we're dreaming, I want the ability to set crossfade/gapless settings for a playlist on a per-track basis. That way, I could mix a playlist with gapless between two songs (say, from the same album), but crossfade between other songs and normal silence between still other songs. A playlist's crossfade settings would override the default settings, but if a certain track of a playlist didn't have a crossfade setting of its own, the default would be used.

Compare, e.g. to Roxio Easy CD Creator's track crossfade options.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 08:50:10 am »

And I want Audiophile Replay Gain too.  It's the little loose ends that will take MC from a good program to a great program.

Give me a break! MC is already light years ahead of everything else on the market. Yes, there are some things that it can't do; yes, there are some areas where it needs to be polished; but there are so many things that it does that nobody else does that it's unquestionably the best. At this point, we're taking it from great to stupendous.

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 08:57:45 am »

But I really want better Replay Gain for audiophiles.

dragyn

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 11:32:51 am »

What would be cool is using the gaps in a cue sheet. This way when I play full albums, it will sound exactly like the original.

Right now I can technically do that but you can't start a a track in the middle. I use an .ape image file with apl files linked to the tracks.

Maybe when (if) they implemented cue sheets for ripping, this could be a possibility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up