INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver in an unRAID VM, where is library stored?  (Read 2751 times)

pepar

• World Citizen
JRiver in an unRAID VM, where is library stored?
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:13:47 am »

I plan on running JRiver in an unRAID Linux VM on an unassigned device (an SSD) with my media files on the unRAID array.  I of course have the array shared with the Linux VM.  Where will JRiver store the library and how will I share that library with client devices attached to my A/V systems?
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver in an unRAID VM, where is library stored?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:30:34 am »

If the VM runs the library server then the library will live in a bunch of files in the /dev/vdX presented to the VM as its local disk, the contents of this disk is not shared to the outside world but that doesn't matter as clients get information about the library from the server. IIRC you can change the location on disk though so perhaps you could place it on a share instead, not sure why you'd want to do that though.

if you're really asking "how do clients connect to the server?" then that's just normal client-server behaviour (use a network key)

pepar

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver in an unRAID VM, where is library stored?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:39:36 am »

If the VM runs the library server then the library will live in a bunch of files in the /dev/vdX presented to the VM as its local disk, the contents of this disk is not shared to the outside world but that doesn't matter as clients get information about the library from the server. IIRC you can change the location on disk though so perhaps you could place it on a share instead, not sure why you'd want to do that though.

if you're really asking "how do clients connect to the server?" then that's just normal client-server behaviour (use a network key)
The array holding my media is shared on my network via SMB.  Is that what you mean by normal client-server behaviour?  How, exactly, do JRiver clients access the Library (on the VM) if it is not shared on the network?

edit: I am reading the Wiki and think I have my answers.  Thanks.

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Pages: [1]   Go Up