INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: low pass filters  (Read 4711 times)

terrys999

• Recent member
low pass filters
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:29:45 am »

Hi all
If I play flac , which has been converted from dsd, Do I need to use low pass filter?? My irdac 2 plays dsd native,  so I assume it has its own hardware filters.
 But would pcm from dsd be filtered through the dacs hardware,  or would I still need to use low pass filter

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: low pass filters
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:55:01 am »

The low pass filter is included in the DSD to PCM playback/conversion method.  You can see the setting of this low pass filter at:

Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > configure input plugin > DSD plugin

Brian.

terrys999

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:50:07 am »

THANK!!!

Just spoke to arcam,  they said filters already on the dac, no low pass filters needed 
thanx again.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:17:09 pm »

For future reference, the available low pass filters in MC for DSD to PCM conversion are not optimal, shall we say. The default one is at 24 KHz with a slope of 48 dB/octave. This is well below the Sony/Philips standard of 50 Khz. It was set at this relatively low frequency to accommodate a particular DAC in the early days that could not handle higher frequencies. The optional filters at 30 KHz and 50 KHz only have slopes of 24 dB/octve which is not step enough to filter out the high frequency noise. This is a long standing concern with DSD to PCM conversion, but there does not seem to be any interest in changing the filters going forward.

Personally, I set the filter option to Off and  use a 60 KHz filter with a slope of 48 dB/octave set in DSP Studio. If you are doing file conversion, I would suggest doing the filtering when you do file conversion, in case you change DACs and the new DAC does not handle the high frequencies as well as the Arcam. 

terrys999

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:41:52 am »

I see .
It would save me reprocessing all files again.

Thank you .

RFranco

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 12:11:59 am »

Yes it was a filter that was producing very low volume. I have turn off and now sound very good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up