INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting WMA to MP3 or WAV  (Read 1038 times)

billycwhatup

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Converting WMA to MP3 or WAV
« on: July 09, 2003, 05:06:06 am »

Hi-
I recently created a playlist combining mp3s and wma music for an ipod. Only after completing this massive playlist (around 2600 songs - 2000 mp3 and aroudn 600 wma) did I realize that iPod doesn't support wma.

That said, is there a way short of going folder by folder, song by song, to batch convert wma to mp3? My ideal scenario would be to just have all wma files in my Media Library automatically convert to mp3 - keeping the new mp3s in the same folders as their wma counterparts. Even deleting the wma and converting them to mp3.

Anyway, not sure I've this is anywhere near the realm of possibility but I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks so much!

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Converting WMA to MP3 or WAV
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 01:13:30 pm »

This is totally possible! I don't have my Zen handy, so I can't give you the exact buttons to push, but in the "synch" or "send to handheld" dialog box, click the options button and there should be an option to convert format during transfer. I would recommend transferring your WMA files in a separate batch than your MP3 files so that only the WMA files get converted and the MP3 files are left alone.

Point 2: SMARTLISTS! It sounds like you created a playlist containing thousands of tracks. Smartlists are a much "smarter" way of doing that kind of thing. For example, my "files for Zen" smartlist has the rule:

[media type]="audio"

That means that I send all audio tracks to my Zen. If I wanted to be more selective, I could do something like:

[medai type]="audio" -[album]="album1","album2"

Which would send all audio except album1 and album2. For the ultimate in flexibility, put a string in one of your custom tags (like Custom 1) and use that string as a flag that the file should go to your iPod. For example, take all the files you want to go to your iPod and set Custom 1 = "iPod". Then make a smartlist with rules:

[media type]="audio" [custom 1]="iPod"

Now you can easily add and remove files from your iPod playlist by editing that tag. I find that much easier than manually updating the contents of a playlist.

billycwhatup

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 08:20:10 am »

thanks so much!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 02:08:32 pm »

billycwhatup,

Also, once the files are converted on the way to iPod, if you synch later, MC is aware of the files that have been sent and they will be skipped if you have conversion enabled.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up