INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.212 beta available  (Read 3100 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.212 beta available
« on: July 09, 2003, 02:26:40 pm »

Please read VERY carefully. This is a BETA version of 9.1.  If you expect things to work, please download the latest 9.0 build from this thread:    

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=di splay;num=1054751628

but if you're patient and willing to help us work out some of the bugs, you can download 9.1 here (recommended for experts only):    

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91212.exe    

(backup your library before installing)  

Please report any 9.1 problems in this thread.  Keep a list of problems and if they aren't fixed in the next build, please post the list again.    

History:

1. Fixed: Filesize type fields didn't work properly in browser panes.
2. Fixed: "Date" field didn't work properly in browser panes.
3. Fixed: Editing an existing library field could corrupt its data type in some cases.
4. Changed: MC now warns you when trying to create a library field with a duplicate name instead of silently failing.
5. Changed: MC gives a failure message when trying to delete a non-user field instead of silently doing nothing.
6. Fixed: "Aquire Images" was not working.
7. Fixed: In-place editing in the tree was not working properly for some view schemes.
8. Fixed: Hard Disk Location "<this folder>" and some other special folders were not working properly in the left tree.
9. Fixed: Sticky views weren't allowing separate settings for grouped view schemes.
10. Fixed: Hairstyle browsing wasn't working well with the new view scheme system.
11. Changed: Several view scheme related speed-ups.
12. Fixed: Percentage type fields didn't work properly in browser panes.
13. Fixed: Multiple selections in grouped-type panes didn't update other panes properly.
14. Changed: Added "Quick Tag" to edit menu and assigned keyboard shortcut F4.
15. Changed: Toolbar tooltips now show keyboard shortcuts if they exist.
16. Fixed: Hairstyle wouldn't always get / keep the keyboard and remote focus like it should.
17. Fixed: Media Center was not rememebering last frame exit mode.
18. Fixed: Display area of player window would not show right click menu if playing now had no files.
19. NEW: Added all available keywords (even custom ones) to keyword peeker control.
20. Fixed: Skin installer was not setting new downloaded skin as active.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
Re: Media Center 9.1.212 beta available
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 02:53:51 pm »

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/06/27  Priority: High
    HTTP Streaming Not Working For Many Stations
    Most MP3-based radio stations will not stream properly and sound corrupted.  After attempting to play a radio stream, MC9 has to be restarted for any MP3 to play normally.  An example of a bad stream: http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/MPL/4509.mpl.  This stream will play in Winamp.

CD Burning Not Writing CD Text
    Audio CDs are coming up with no CD Text regardless of decode options.  PlexWriter 40/12/40A.

MC9 Not Playing RA Streams
    Clicking on a .RAM link causes it to be played with RealOne Player rather than MC9 regardless of current file association settings.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/07/08  Priority: Medium
    Favorites Aren't Accurate
    Created a favorite for a particular drive under My Computer.  Going to that favorite brings me to  My Computer rather than that particular drive.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/07/03  Priority: Medium
    Removing From Disk Leaves Empty Directories
    When using the option to delete from disk while removing mp3s from a library leaves empty directories.  There should be an option to delete the directory as well otherwise deleting is a two step (and two location) process.

• New - Date Opened: 2003/07/09  Priority: Low
    ASIO fades too early
    Using Creative ASIO mode with fast fades, the track will actually fade out and end a few seconds early.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/07/03  Priority: Low
    Properties Pane Re-Verifies Too Often
    Editing more than 20 mp3s at once and using the tab key to switch between fields will cause MC to ask for confirmation of changes several times.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/07/02  Priority: Low
    Characters Missing in Context Menu
    Playlists with an ampersand are not displaying the ampersand in right-click context menu (e.g. adding a track to a playlist).  Other characters might also not be displaying properly.

Suggestions/Requests
  • Make the choice of tree view or panes an option either global or by scheme.
  • The ability to add underscores in filenames generated by MC9 (e.g., "the_cure_-_17_seconds.mp3").
  • A way to switch from Playing Now to the last used view (e.g., if I was browsing a particular album in the archive, it'd be nice to flip to Playing Now and then right back to where I was).
  • Create a virtual playlist from a cue file with track and artist names.
Toast goes in the toaster.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 02:57:22 pm »

What does the "Populate Tree" option in View Schemes do?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 02:59:10 pm »

MC9 When Reading Media Files With No Date In A Plug=In Still Enters "1899" in the Date Field.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 03:05:20 pm »

NEW First reported 09/07/03
Priority: Medium
In the Advanced > Audio Analysis view, the Replay Gain column sorts such that the "?" is at the bottom. All other columns sort such that the "?" is at the top. It would be more consistent to have all "?" selections at the top.

OPEN First reported 26/06/03
In the tools > options dialog, the scrollable icon list to the left has a scrollbar that doesn't scroll smoothly. When you click the bar and drag downwards, there is a jump and flicker as it appears to display the OS default bar for a few moments, then redraws with the skinned bar. Also becomes "unskinned" if you click the up / down buttons on the scrollbar.

OPEN First reported 01/07/03
When using a mini-me skin (SonixMedia in this case), when toggling the volume on using the mute button there is a pause of about 5-9 seconds where the scrolling display and visualization freeze. During this time, the entire application is frozen ... clicking anywhere has no effect.

FIXED First reported 04/07/03
Priority: High

When using almost all mini-me skins (including fluxion by JRiver), the previous state of the player is not successfully loaded everytime. Roughly 1 out of 10 times, the player will revert back to the "default" settings when loading the skins.

The only skin that has not exhibited this issue is the Windows XP skin by Doof.

UPDATE: This only happened once with each of two skins I tried yesterday (fluxion and brushed metal). Unless it shows up again, it seems this has been fixed. Great Job!

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 03:06:16 pm »

Just tried this latest version, looking pretty good and the tree/pane implementation is getting better and better.

I have set "populate tree" for a view scheme.  But the panes don't go away until I expand the tree and select something.

I'd suggest that when a view scheme is set for tree, that the panes should go away as soon as the view scheme is selected.  That is, if a view scheme is set for tree view, that's all you get for that view scheme.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 03:09:11 pm »

Bug:

View Schemes Properties>Files> RightClick Add Rule>Display only shows fields "Height" and "Width".

Fields such as "Events", "People", "Places" are not shown, therefore Search Wizard cannot be used for those fields.

Bug:

Remote Control does not seem to work! I always get the following message:  

"This button is already assigned to the following command: Play/Pause
Do you want to replace that command?"

I first made RC learn the Play/Pause button. But when I want RC to learn the Stop Button I get above message. Also for most/but not all buttons! Some buttons RC can learn, other RC cannot!

Also, only one single remote control can be programmed!
If you want to have more than one, then you can't!
Akso, a "Clear All" button would be nice, if you need to clear the whole learning.

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 03:34:16 pm »

Open
Date Opened: 6/18/03

Unable to play DVD and related problems:
  • If  DVD is inserted while in Media Library view. the files being viewed in Media Library are added to Playing Now and playback of those files is initiated.  DVD is not played even though I confirm desire to play it in response to message box that opens when DVD is inserted in drive.
  • If DVD is inserted while in Playing Now view, a message box opens with instructions to "select files to play." as in next item.
  • If I right click on DVD drive in the tree and select "play", I receive an error message that the video cannot be shown because of either "low video memory...," " another application is using display resources....," or "display adapter incompatable with the DVD decoder..."  Clicking "OK" does not close the message box and I have to exit MC via ending the task in Task Manager.  All the DVDs tested play in Power DVD and Intervideo WinDVD.

Open
Date Opened: 6/18/03

Double-clicking *.cda file in Windows Explorer results in the following error message and failure to open/play file: "Error restoring Media Center license: Invalid file type [path]"

New

MC inconsistently crashes immediately after being minimized.

New

If "play" is selected in right click menu on more than 1 highlighted mp3 file in Windows Explorer:
  • If MC is closed, it will not open to play any files
  • If MC is open, it will either do nothing or display and play the first file

Open Request
Date Opened: 6/24

When option to "rip" cd when media is inserted is selected, ripping starts immediately.  Would prefer the options button to be enabled so that settings could be changed on the fly before ripping is initiated.

Open Request
Date Opened: 6/24

Delete command in shortcut menu in pane view.  Would like to delete an album without changing to content view, selecting all tracks in the album, and right clicking on delete.

Shelly

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 03:38:44 pm »

All of these were already present before.

Bugs:

- SERIOUS: some VBR MP3's with long periods of silence slow down the system to a near halt during the silence.

- SERIOUS: I sometimes get a major system slowdown for a second or two at the end of a playlist, or a shorter one between two tracks. Apparently, this only happens for VBR MP3 files, with silence removal disabled, and for the duration of the silence. I am pretty confident it is related to the problem above.

- after finishing a conversion, MC steals the focus from the current program

- silence removal does not work correctly when "output format" is enabled with something changed (at least frequency) in the DSP settings. Only happens between tracks, not inside one.

Request:

- can you please separate the silence removal option in two: inside tracks and between tracks? It would be excellent!! It's just that some tracks have silence inside them (natural pauses in music, aka "golden silence") and the combined option (naturally) removes it...
Sérgio Gomes

dragyn

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 03:44:57 pm »

>>8. Fixed: Hard Disk Location "<this folder>" and some other special folders were not working properly in the left tree.

Not fixed.

JC

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2003, 04:03:14 pm »

NEW First reported 09/07/03
The lower left panel (which I use to display cover art) will not update to each song as they progress in "Playing Now". It will stay focused on the first song and the highlight marker does not move with to the currently playing track.

Although I remember this being posted two builds ago, I don't remember it posted in 211. Sorry if it is a duplicate.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2003, 04:38:10 pm »

NEW -- Search Criteria have no spaces now

NOW
Bios: <empty>Media Type: AudioNot Artist: <empty>
Should Be
Bios: <empty>  Media Type: Audio  Not Artist: <empty>

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2003, 08:13:16 pm »

Bugs:
  • New Tooltips on the toolbar buttons shows the shortcut twice.
  • still the help-about menu is 9.0 .
  • still the new liberary panes reset to all when double click a song to play.
Tamer

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2003, 09:47:11 pm »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for fixing the Date field problem, now works Ok even when renaming display name.
Acquire Images..... works !

Still
- Ctrl+U does not allow to switch to detail list view when in Image mode. or is it by design now ?
- Resize Image (rotate too but as it is losless) does not warn or ask for confirmation before replacing an original image.

Have a nice day,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

retrospek

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Hello !
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2003, 10:50:20 pm »

Can you please take a look at the cover art in MC 9.1, as it doesn't appear to be working correctly for a few builds now.

Cover art is really important to me - as I spent ages scanning them in.

Specifically:

- You can no longer associate cover art (or a thumbnail) to a video file (MPG).  Whereas, you could previously.   If I now select a video file and then the Image properties I don't get any options.

- When streaming music using the Media Server I am not seeing the cover art (stored as folder.jpg) in the lower left window.  Instead of displaying the cover art it just displays the text 'folder.jpg' in the lower left screen.  It is definately getting the cover art from the Media Server because my Track Templates are displaying it - but MC isn't showing it in the lower left screen.

Thanks,

Mark

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2003, 10:51:17 pm »

1)Dragging the scroll bar in the options menu changes the appearance of the scroll bar from MC skin style to the default windows style and back, making scrolling very jerky.  

2)When one uses ASIO for streaming web content, switching stations causes stuttering and occasionally crashes.  This bug has been there forever!  

3) I still think you should be able to hear MC fast forwarding while you hold the 'fast forward' button like every other player; same for  the rewind button.  

4)The shuffle, DSP, and continuous buttons are too hard to see.  

5)Double-clicking on empty space in Hairstyle doesn't switch you bakc to MEGA-ME anymore.

6)MC does not remember 4 channel output selection for Direct Sound.  It switches back to 2 channels.

nila

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 01:13:27 am »

BUGS
  • The auto hiding of the toolbar on the properties window makes it look alot nicer BUT the only way to access or even realise that the playlist/image/format/statistics window is there is via the little menu on the toolbar - for a first time user they'd have a hard enough time realising these other windows where there just from the little menu, if u then hide this window on top of that I feel that you are basically totally hiding this feature from them.

• New View schemes inside groups are not appearing unless the group is first opened then closed.

• Can no longer customise which items on the toolbar have text via the registry hack. I LOVE being able to customise which ones do and which dont, I REALLY tweak it to my own tastes and I think this REALLY needs to be easy to configure as to which do and which dont simply via the customise toolbar menu. If not then we need to be able to use the registry hack :(

• Properties pane does not update (show new fields created, changes to list type values etc) unless it is closed and then re-opened.

• No real way to control images sent to 'playing now' if there are a lot of them - just says: too many to list - means I cant remove, re-order them at all or anyting - kind of defeats the purpose. Would like to be able to toggle the playlist in 'playing now' to toggle between the audio files and the images so that the list could show me all my images and let me deal with them properly.

• New location icons for rotating images seem backwards - rotate clockwise icon looks like rotate anti-clockwise and visa versa - the icon should show portrait as standard with the arrows pointing what to do to turn it on its side.

• The panes are not working correctly for list types - it is showing all the values of the list whether or not there are any files actually using that value.  

• ALL panes are the same width no matter what they show resulting in some panes having literally 1" wasted space next to them while the pane next to it has all the fields with half of the info missing  

• Dont have 'rotate' tools for .bmp's - only jpg's.
  • Grouping for 'Last Played, Filename, Dimensions, FileSize etc dont work - we need to be able to perform grouping with these too
  • Clicking on the blank space in the properties window expands the 'Calculated Fields' group - with all the other groups we have to click on the group name - calculated fields should be like that too.
  • Right click - locate file - this is just one big list like 'Send To/Playlists' used to be - it needs to follow the parent/child setup of the tree.
  • Choosing Fields to add /change to - needs to be split instead of one big list:
    - Audio
    - Date
    - File
    - Custom

(Should follow the properties grouping - Which we need to be able to set and customise ourselves (preferably per view scheme)

nila

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 01:14:02 am »

REQUESTS

Split Screen

Location Toolbar
  • Be able to customise this per view scheme - it's a great tool and for all my image view schemes I want to see: rotate image, aquire, flip, etc. For audio files I'd love to be able to have all the Library tools available as buttons - Get properties from filename, rename from properties etc. I've been dying for a 'tools' toolbar for ages and this could be it if we were aloud to have it 'sticky' to remember our settings per view scheme and we could add buttons for the other tasks.

Properties
  • Ability to create custom groups  
  • Ability to customise which fields show in a view - preferably also with a button that toggles: Show all fields/Customised Fields - for the properties window  
  • When creating calculated fields - some way of getting a list of all values that can be entered (right clicking with a list of insert values?)  
  • Date fields need some way to be customised to choose what format they display/write the date as - they are also very confusing knowing exactly how the info is meant to be entered if u want to include time etc as well as the date  

• GOOD ONE Custom fields to do calculations of the files grouped by that sorting (ie equivalent to what we see in the status bar when we click on a pane) - Would like ones for: Average rating (of the group - not for anything specific so if we used it with an artist group it would display the average rating for that artist, if we did it with album it would display the adverage rating for that album etc - and for total time so we could do the same again - total time for the artist, total time for the album etc. as well as number of tracks  

Converting/Encoding
  • A GUI to let us tweak the settings for the different formats - especially the most standard formats.  
  • Ability to save settings  

Ripping
  • More options with the ripping in terms of: Rip and encode simultaneously, rip track then encode track rip next track and encode next track etc., rip all tracks then encode all tracks, rip and encode in the background allowing us to que up tracks to be encoded while MC is ripping the CD's as fast as it can.  
  • Ability to save profile of all the settings like there is in EAC (good for being able to quickly change loads of settings like: New CD, Old Scratched CD)  
  • When a CD is entered for ripping and the track info known - enable us to edit the text displayed before ripping the tracks.  
  • An option to write CRC Checksum into the comment field  
  • An option to create a .m3u playlist file for the album ripped  
  • Support of ripping with .cue sheet support  
  • Ability to rip multiple songs as one file  

Burning
  • Ability to rename files  
  • An option to have the burn playlist automatically saved to a playlist group called: 'Burnt Items' with the CD then saved with the date and time of burn or AT LEAST an option, like EVERY other windows program has, to give us a prompt before wiping out the whole playlist after burning (this is totally oposite to EVERY other program and is HUGELY annoying - pressing a 'Clear Playlist' button is not a hard task to clear it if people want to or answering a : Do u wish to clear the playlist : yes/no' question.)  

Other
  • Folder monitoring  
    this was discussed previously and decided against as it would slow down the start of MC but if it could be set up so that it acted like a screen saver and just started checking the folders etc after X minutes of the computer being idle it would work great.

New XML file for menu's - great but a few points:
  • Right now it's impossible to tell what the shortcut keys refer to - If I know what the key does inside MC I can look up the key and then see what it's value is but I cant look at the XML and from that tell what key shortcut does what.
  • No indication of what enteries are for top or bottom or location toolbar - it should be split up into three groups - top toolbar, bottom toolbar, location toolbar as three items with it's items underneath them as child properties.
  • It'd be nice if ALL values for MC that were possible were listed in this file and just commented out to make it alot easier to edit.
  • A button on the customise toolbar to spawn this external file would make sure that people who dont visit the MC forum would be aware of it. Maybe have one that says: Advanced - when clicked it pop's up a warning message about messing with the XML etc. then spawns the XML file?

nila

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 03:45:04 am »

Bug/Request:

Right now when I'm in playing now, I often want to filter out certain songs from the playlist.

I often want to remove ALL songs with a rating so I can just play the rest. There is currently no way to do this.

I go to search and do:  rating=[] which selects all the songs correctly. If I then right click and try to choose 'update order' so that it will just play those ones and drop the rest - this however is greyed out.

If I right click on them and chose 'play' - it doesn't change anything and the other ones are still there when i remove the search criteria.

Can we have 'Update Playback order' available with a search criteria present so we can update the playing now to only play whats selected?

LisaRCT

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 05:08:29 am »

NEW: (in 9.1.212)
Streaming audio will not play more than approx. 10 seconds without a silence/rebuffer . . . .

***Note - This started immediately upon upgrading from 9.1.210,
and ceased upon re-installing 9.1.210 . . .  so it must be the build.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 05:50:25 am »

Just noticed one bug in the new toolbars:

It's very nice to have the menu's (&File etc.) in the bottom bar, but when I place them there, the pop-up-menu is over the menu-buttons itself, hiding them out, not above!

When the menu is on top bar, the pop-up is below the button, so it can still be seen.

Could you fix this as well?
Thanks
Raist

Timmy_Yak

• Recent member
  • I am a Sexy Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 06:24:58 am »

When burning it will double the tracks on the cd.

For example, I just burned Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute.  There are 9 tracks.  When I went to burn it there were 18 tracks, two of each track.  When I went to delete the extra tracks, it deleted all of them.

wallyworld

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 09:45:56 am »

Disappointed to find that my X10 Mouse Remote no longer seems to work with the Beta though it does with 9.0. The .dll is there in the Plug In folder but won't install. Hopefully a fix is in the works?

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 10:03:05 am »

Bug/Request:
Right now when I'm in playing now, I often want to filter out certain songs from the playlist.

I think that playback filter does pretty much what you're asking for. Have you tried it?

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 10:57:57 am »

1.) I have, in a playlist view, right clicked and save sorting, column, etc. preferences. I right click on a file in that view and Locate it to, say, album.  I then click on the back button, and the view re-sorts where the Artist is always the first sort column. The view should be what I had left it at (in this case with Genre first).

2.) It is extremely difficult dragging a group of files to, say, a new Genre (in the three columns above the files view) because the acceleration is too fast.  That is, the genre has to be nearly in the middle of the list, because if it is too close to the top or bottom the view starts to scroll...

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 12:23:42 pm »

VERTICAL scrollbars in the selection panes are STILL missing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up