INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: album grouping  (Read 6648 times)

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
album grouping
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:03 pm »

Is there any way for grouping some songs by album name(tag)?
For example, I have 4 songs.
a song from A album
b song from B album
c song from A album
d song from A album
Now all of the 4 songs are exposed on a playlist.
What I mean is whether there is any option to group them to 2 groups (album A and B) in a play.

AIMP supports this and if I put the mouse cursor over a album thumbnail, a submenu comes out as its song list.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: album grouping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:01:58 pm »

Not 100% if this is what you are asking, but you can sort your play lists any way you want. If you want them to play Album, track # so you get:
A: a
A: c
A: d
B: b
Click on the Track # column to first sort by track number then click on the Album column to sort on album. Once they are in the order that you want, click the 'Update Order' button at the top of the playlist window.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:37:21 pm »

Sorry, it seems my explanation was not enough.
On MC's thumbnail view mode, all the 4 songs are sorted and displayed by album on a playlist.
But, on AIMP4's thumbnail view, only 2 thumbnails for album A, B are displayed on a playlist and song a/c/d are classified as A's sub-items.
(See the red box on the attached a AIMP's screenshot.
If my memory serves me right, grouped songs would be shown when I click the double v mark.)
This decreases the number of thumbnails from 4 to 2 and makes a playlist concise when I have many albums in a playlist.

Unfortunately however, AIMP's sorting is less better than MC's.
For such album grouping, the 3 tag values (album/album artist/year) should match.

Does MC also support this kind of grouping anyway?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:25:01 am »

It might help to clarify what you mean by 'playlist'. In MC, a 'playlist' is a curated list of songs under the 'Playlists' menu section that was either created manually (by adding tracks to the playlist) or automatically using smartlists. As far as I know, these are always and only view able as a flat file list.

Your screenshot from AIMP looks more like what I would consider a library view in MC. Library Views can be grouped and sorted in almost any way you want. It might help to show what you are seeing in MC

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:49:43 pm »

Which MC view are you talking about?  Please post a screen shot of MC that shows what you are talking about and make sure we can see where in the navigation tree you are.  Since I don't know AIMP and most of what's in your screenshot uses Asian characters, it's pretty hard to figure out what's going on.

Thanks,

Brian.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 07:51:15 pm »

The screenshot is what I'm usually seeing MC (thumbnail view/sorted by album).
This example playlist has 68 songs and 14 albums. I'd like to show only 14 thumbnails on the playlist.
I usually put songs in fewer playlists if possible. Making many playlists is not so efficient to me since I have tons of albums with few songs. Each album has just 1~10 songs unlike OST albums.
That's why I want to group by album in a playlist. If the 'Library view' helps me, how to set it up?

For the AIMP screenshot above,

Items under each thumbnail show
  1st line: Artist
  2nd line: Album
  3rd line: Genre
  4th line: Year
  5th line (5 stars): Rate

In the long red box
Track number / Song name / Genre / Rate / (don't know, looks like the day played last)

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 06:11:51 am »

I'm not sure if it will help you, but I'm attaching two pictures of a View I've made for playlists.  Neither of them is exactly what you're asking for, but they do something sort of similar.  Note that I'm selecting my playlist in the left hand Pane above.

The first shows a standard layout with an album thumbnail and the track information of each album.  The second shows a different album thumbnail view and I'm hovering over one of the album covers, so a summary of that album's tracks has popped up.

Also note that I'm using full albums in my playlist, but if I wasn't, it would only show me those tracks that were included in my playlist.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 06:12:25 am »

Here's the second screen shot.  It wouldn't attach to the first post.

Brian.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 08:44:56 am »

The screenshot really helps. I've never used playlists for anything other than having a preset lists of songs that I want to play or shuffle so I have never really cared for or tried to change the default display. From your screenshot it looks like you have created a playlist for the band WINK that contains all of the music you have by them.

As far as I can tell, your only option for playlist views is as a file list (I don't see any other options under the 'View As' settings). For a file list view you have the following list styles:
  • Details
  • Thumbnails (what you have selected)
  • Album Thumbnails
  • Tiles
From your screenshot, it looks like you chose 'Thumbnails' which gives you one thumbnail for each track. If you change the style to 'Album Thumbnails' then you will get one thumbnail for each album and hovering over the thumbnail will give you a pop up window with a list of the tracks on that album. The disadvantage of the Album Thumbnail view is that you can't select individual tracks to play (as far as I can see).

From your earlier screenshot, it looks like you might be better off with a library view instead of a play list for your WINK songs. Try this:
  • In the main tree to the left, right click on the 'Audio' section.
  • Select 'Add Library View'.
  • Choose 'Albums' as the view type, change the 'Name:' to WINK, and leave the location as 'Audio'.
Now in the list of Audio views you have one called 'WINK' that has all of your audio tracks in it.
  • Right click on the new view, and select 'Customize View'.
  • In the Customize View screen, in the middle 'Settings' section, under 'Included Files', click the '...' button next to 'Set rules for file display...'.
  • In the 'Edit Search' window that now pops up, in the 'Rules' section, click the first drop down and select 'Artist', the middle box should be 'is any', in the third box hit the drop down and check the box next to 'WINK'.
  • Click 'OK' in the Edit Search window, Click 'OK' in the Customize View window.
Now you should have a library view called 'WINK that contains all of the albums by WINK. Double click one to open the view pane on the bottom half of the screen with the track details, then single click on each album to see it's track list (if you double click again it closes the bottom view).

If you want to have the albums sorted in a different order (like release date instead of title), choose the customize view option again, and click the 'Edit' button next to the Album display category. There is a sorting setting towards the bottom of the screen.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 08:55:47 am »

Thank you for detailed instructions!

But I found another problem with grouping.

I tried to group songs by album and artist for Library View.
When both album and artist have just one name, grouping goes well without problem.
However, When an album has multiple artist names, some groups are made well but others are not grouped and are separated by artist name.

I checked over tags but no problems are found.

Songs for an album have a file format (almost FLAC, few are MP3 / An album has never multiple file formats.)
All songs have 18 kinds of tags like screenshot.

How to fix this?
Is this a bug?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 12:58:15 pm »

Check your album artist tags
Pages: [1]   Go Up