INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choppy video playback on MC 22.0.105  (Read 3193 times)

George Bonanza

• Recent member
Choppy video playback on MC 22.0.105
« on: May 13, 2017, 06:12:21 am »

Hi

I've been using MC 19 for sometime now and I was happy with it since I did not find v20 & v21 to be as big of a step as v19 was to v18. I like how v22 handles audio, I think it's a subtle but good improvement over v19 so I've been thinking about upgrading. I've been using the trial version of MC 22.0.105 to evaluate for a few days and the video playback is nowhere near as smooth as it is on MC 19. My PC is my media hub so a lot of video consumption takes place so video playback is important to me.

I'm using the exact video playback settings as I do on v19 but the video playback is choppy and stuttery on v22, not occasionally but continuously.

Settings I'm using: Red October HQ + Hardware acceleration and no image doubling. Rest are stock MadVR settings, with the same settings video playback on v19 is buttery smooth but its choppy as hell on v22. I delved deeper into the settings to see if any extra setting that has been enabled that may be causing this but I didn't find any.

To troubleshoot I looked at GPU stats during video playback in HWMonitor and I think I spotted the problem.  There are 5 categories under the GPU monitoring

GPU
Frame Buffer
Video Engine
Bus Interface
Memory

on v19 the video engine is being used a fair bit along with the frame buffer & GPU is but on v22 the video engine usage is at 0%.

What should I do to remedy this. Is someone else facing similar problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Choppy video playback on MC 22.0.105
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:32:39 am »

Don't change madVR settings until you have smooth video in MC.

Turn off hardware acceleration.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 06:44:29 am »

What kind of graphics card do you have?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

George Bonanza

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:50:52 am »

GTX 760 Ti, 16 GB DDR3, i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz & Z77 mobo.

I use the same MadVR settings on both v19 and v22. Started off with hardware acceleration off on v22 and it was very choppy, switched it on and the performance improved a bit, but it was still choppy. I've been using MadVR for nearly 3 years and I have fine tuned the settings to my liking. On v22 I used the same settings as I do on v19 but the results are nowhere near the same. I used with different algorithms but the problem is still there.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:08:27 am »

Does it work with ROHQ and no modifications?

rec head

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 01:14:17 pm »

I have been having loads of issues with video playback. I was told it had something to do with an update to Windows. I'm hesitant to say that it is better because every time I think it is working I'll randomly get a ton of errors. I switch to Roku to watch something else because TV isn't mess around with the HTPC time.

Anyway, it seems like Nvidea has been putting out new drivers often lately. On the most recent version I seem to have error free playback. The point to all this is to check then double check that Windows and the video drivers are on the latest.

George Bonanza

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 02:44:50 pm »

@rec head: I updated to the latest drivers and I had no issue on MC v19 but got choppy playback on v22 so its not an Nvidia driver issue.  I'm using Win 7 64bit.

@Jim H: Video playback on Red October standard happens without any issues, no stutters no choppiness but on ROHQ its choppy and no amount of fiddling with settings helps. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 03:53:54 pm »

Does ROHQ work if you use MC's defaults (no modifications to madVR)?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:55 pm »

MCs video playback engine hasn't changed that much in that time. New features and a few changes here and there, but nothing major performance related.
What did change is the version of madVR we supply, so a new version of madVR may require you to re-visit your configuration - especially for a large jump from 19 to 22.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

George Bonanza

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 06:17:49 am »

I tried 22.0.108 today and I had no issues with playback on this build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up