INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Dragonfly Red and JRiver  (Read 4667 times)

KenEia

• Recent member
Problems with Dragonfly Red and JRiver
« on: May 13, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »

May 2017 got a DragonFly Red. Had to work through numerous problems. The iMac (Sierra) didn't configure using Audio Quest's instructions (Midi device stays grayed out)

JRiver 21 and DragonFly do not work with any dff or dsf files. My JRiver 21/Codex Ayre works fine for these hi res files. It is therefor a JRiver problem. I have tried EVERY combination in the Player DSP configuration setting and all the iMac Midi bit rate combinations.

I've called AudioQuest and they are out of their depth, but its probably not their problem.

I've read the old DragonFly threads but they ended in 2012....did everyone just give up?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems with Dragonfly Red and JRiver
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:12:01 pm »

May 2017 got a DragonFly Red. Had to work through numerous problems. The iMac (Sierra) didn't configure using Audio Quest's instructions (Midi device stays grayed out)

JRiver 21 and DragonFly do not work with any dff or dsf files. My JRiver 21/Codex Ayre works fine for these hi res files. It is therefor a JRiver problem. I have tried EVERY combination in the Player DSP configuration setting and all the iMac Midi bit rate combinations.

I've called AudioQuest and they are out of their depth, but its probably not their problem.

I've read the old DragonFly threads but they ended in 2012....did everyone just give up?

I use a Dragonfly Red daily on A Windows PC running JRiver MC.  I've used the DAC on several other PCs including one running Linux without any problems.

The Dragonfly does not work with bit rates above 96 KHz or with DSD format files.  You need to convert such files to 24/96 in JRiver.

You need to get help from Audioquest about the "The iMac (Sierra) didn't configure using Audio Quest's instructions (Midi device stays grayed out)" problem.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 06:44:20 pm »

Step 0 is to get the DragonFly playing from the Mac using any sound program:  Test sounds in the sounds preference panel, VLC, itunes, etc.  Once it plays from the Mac, then you can get to the JRiver MC specifics.

Does it play from the Sounds panel or any other program on the Mac?

Brian.

KenEia

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:35:51 pm »

Yes it plays with iTunes just fine for non-High Res music. The problem is now down to one specific file format  dsf 5644 bit. All other formates play. If you can play dsf via Dragon I'd love to know the settings in MC. I can play via MC these dsf files with a Codex Ayer Dac.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:50:25 pm »

Yes it plays with iTunes just fine for non-High Res music. The problem is now down to one specific file format  dsf 5644 bit. All other formates play. If you can play dsf via Dragon I'd love to know the settings in MC. I can play via MC these dsf files with a Codex Ayer Dac.

I suggest that you read this Wiki article on  DSD in JRiver
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

These paragraphs should help you:

"By default, DSD sources will be converted to PCM for playback and handled by the Media Center audio engine like any other file type. The DSD to PCM conversion process converts from 1-bit DSD to 64-bit PCM at 1/8th of the DSD sample rate. The total amount of data from this conversion grows by 8x, so the process is effectively lossless / perfect. Once you have PCM, it will be 64bit @ 352.8 kHz for DSD, and 64bit @ 705.6 kHz for 2×DSD.
Not all hardware devices support these high sample rates, so downsampling is normally required. To enable downsampling, set '352,800 Hz' (1×DSD) or 'Greater than 384,000 Hz' (2×DSD) in Player > DSP Studio > Output Format to the highest sample rate supported by your hardware. All DSD rates higher than 1× are handled by the 'Greater than 384,000 Hz' setting."

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:13:08 am »

The Ayre DAC accepts PCM up to 384kHz.  The DragonFly only accepts up to 96kHz.  That's probably the problem.  Go to the DSP Studio:

Player > DSP Studio ...

On the left, click on Output Format.  Make sure there's a check mark in it.
Now, the center pane, you'll see a set of inputs and outputs.  Start at 96kHz, and make sure it's set to "no change".  For everything above 96kHz, set the output to 96kHz.  That way all sample rates ABOVE 96kHz will get converted to 96, so your DragonFly DAC can play them.

When you're done, close the DSP Studio.  Then try again.  You might have to close and reopen MC, but I'm pretty sure it will work without that step.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up