INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fill episode numbers from list order  (Read 6735 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Fill episode numbers from list order
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:44:52 am »

Is it possible to fill the episode number from list order?
Ross

blgentry

Re: Fill episode numbers from list order
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:24 am »

It's two steps, but yes, it's easily done:

1.  Highlight files > Library tools > fill track numbers from list order
2.  Open the tagging pane, find [Episode] and paste in: 
Code: [Select]
=[Track #]
optionally: 3.  Erase the Track # after you're done.

I do this frequently when ripping episodes from DVD or BD.

Brian.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:50:34 am »

Seriously?   :o

You've got to be kidding?

Brian, ta heaps. This will save me from stupid amounts of RSI.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:05:32 am »

You can also do it one step less (or even two if you would do #3), just paste "=Counter()" into the same expression box, which will use the current list order to populate the field, without the intermediate step of filling track number,
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 06:27:28 am »

You can also do it one step less (or even two if you would do #3), just paste "=Counter()" into the same expression box, which will use the current list order to populate the field, without the intermediate step of filling track number,

You must be gunning for the JRiver MVP for this week. Nicely done.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:30:05 am »

Hendrik's way works, of course.  If you need to start at #1, it's perfect.  However, if you need to start at 5 or 10 or 22, then it doesn't work as well.  In that case, using Fill Track numbers from list order is nicer because it allows you to set your starting point.

As I said, I use this a lot when ripping DVD and BD TV show episodes.  :)

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 06:36:17 am »

Counter (5)

You can even change the increment counter(5,3)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 06:42:17 am »

Counter (5)

You can even change the increment counter(5,3)

Now you're just showing off. Sweet.

Explain this for me a bit further if you wouldn't mind. Is this a case of start at "5" and increment every 3rd entry or what?

I can think of various combinations but I'd rather not guess.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 06:54:50 am »

Increment by (3,6,9...)

Counter (start value, increment)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 07:04:00 am »

Is this a case of start at "5" and increment every 3rd entry or what?

It starts at 5 and increments by 3 every next item, so, 5,8,11,14...
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 07:38:33 am »

Genius. Thanks
Ross

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 08:50:42 am »

Whilst I know both of those tricks, this is one of those little things that could be made so much easier :)

Change the 'Fill Track Numbers' menu entry to episode number automatically if the media sub-type is TV show.

The other useful little trick I've got, is to use a calculated field to get whichever of Track # and Episode # is non-empty, and then use this for sorting on.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:02:35 am »

I like Leezer's suggestion.

Regarding Counter():  I stopped using that a long time ago because it did weird things.  Like  starting the count at arbitrary numbers (352 or 450, or 23) and changed.  I just read the notes and it says not to use it in the RM&C tool or in Panes (or something like that).  In my really brief testing this morning it worked just fine.

So I wonder if counter() has changed, or what.  Nice to know that it works.

Brian.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 11:58:56 am »

I like Leezer's suggestion.

Regarding Counter():  I stopped using that a long time ago because it did weird things.  Like  starting the count at arbitrary numbers (352 or 450, or 23) and changed.  I just read the notes and it says not to use it in the RM&C tool or in Panes (or something like that).  In my really brief testing this morning it worked just fine.

So I wonder if counter() has changed, or what.  Nice to know that it works.

Brian.
Things to remember when using counter()...
  • It resets to zero after five seconds of non-use. You can see this if you make an expression column using counter() and simply run your mouse up and down the file list. Watch that counter column increment like crazy!
  • Best not to use it in the rnm&c tool. Most of us will review the 'before/after' list, making use of the tooltips and scrolling if necessary. This keeps the counter alive and incrementing, so you end up with something a long way from what was desired. If you do use, preview the results as normal, ignoring the counter numbers, then, wait for more than five seconds before pressing OK, and the numbers will also be OK because counter() will have reset to zero.
  • As long as the list of files in the rename dialogue are ordered as you want from top to bottom, it's safer to use customdata(#) in place of the counter() when using the rnm&c tool, although, that said, so long as you remember to allow counter() time to reset itself, it will work just fine, you have to remember is all, with customdata(#), you have one less thing to worry about, but, it's only really any use in the rnm&c tool, so you end up forgetting about it!

-marko

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 01:13:30 pm »

I found this topic via a search for "numbering episodes."

I have to echo the above comments ... thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.

The techniques mentioned here will, as another said, definitely reduce the RSI of importing a bunch of DVDs.   :D

Thanks!

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 04:18:24 pm »

You can now also select a group of files, "right-click > Library Tools > Fill Track Numbers From List Order", and fill Episode numbers. A little easier than using counter().
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 11:46:50 am »

Thanks for the update.  I'll try that.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up