INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Question on MC + My cloud  (Read 1836 times)

jinxeddeep

• Recent member
Newbie Question on MC + My cloud
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:49:47 pm »

Hello Team,

In my current setup I stream music stored on my MAC using MC22 (22.0.93) on the same mac on to my receiver, phone (Gizmo) and other devices. I purchased a WD My Cloud NAS to avoid having my mac on for remote music streaming. I assumed that I will be able to move my files to the NAS and access them using Gizmo or other products remotely on my phone and other devices. However, after some reading, here on the forum and the wiki, it seems like in order to achieve this I will need to setup an MC server on the NAS and that this is currently not possible. Is this correct?. If so are there any alternatives to this?. I know I can still access the WD using their app but I'd like to stick to one app for all streaming if possible. Thank you in advance.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie Question on MC + My cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:12:41 am »

MC is required whenever you want to use Gizmo or JRemote.  They are just remote controls for MC.  MC is the server and has all of the music metadata, etc.  You need an MC server turned on to use it's remote control products.

There are specific NAS versions of MC that run *on* a NAS server.  I think there's one for the QNAP.  I have no experience with it.

A Mac with its display turned off doesn't consume much power.  Maybe just leaving it on is a viable solution for you.  Or not.

Good luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:31:13 am »

The JRiver Id can replace a NAS in some cases.

www.jriver.com/Id

jinxeddeep

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:14:04 pm »

thanks guys. I'm aware of the Id devices but I wanted to use my own NAS since my backup device, an external HDD, is also connected to the My Cloud and so wanted the My cloud to be my only required headless source. Also, my Mac is pretty old, about 4.5 at this point. My battery is already weak and so leaving the laptop on 24x7 is not recommended since this is also my only computer.

i think your answers have confirmed my suspicion.

So how about this, I already have a raspberry pi 3 model b. Can I just use the SD card version of Id with my pi and connect it to my My cloud for laptop-less streaming with gizmo?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 04:19:06 pm »

Your Raspberry Pi will work with the mSD card.  You can tell MC to import from a NAS.  You may also be able to connect the IdPi to the My Cloud device directly.

Edit:  I took a look at the specs and I don't think you can connect to it directly (via USB, for example).  But it does support UPnP / DLNA so you could use it as a DLNA Server and the Id as a DLNA Renderer.  Our wiki has a topic on DLNA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up