INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Mac streaming from a library on JRiver Windows  (Read 1907 times)

enazarko

• Recent member
JRiver Mac streaming from a library on JRiver Windows
« on: May 20, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »

Haven't found anything poking around about this.

I've got JRiver MC21 on my Mac laptop. I pointed it to the library on the home music server, which is JRiver MC22.  Library and album covers showed up fast.  Then I started to stream.  MacBook Pro running MC21, with an iFi DSD Black for DAC.

24/96 files were showing as 320kbps.  24/192, 320kbps. Everything, 320kbps.  I checked the settings on my Mac laptop and they show that all files should be streamed at whatever sample rate and bit depth they are stored as. I know this isn't a network problem, as I'm able to stream up to 2x DSD and 32/354 to several endpoints. Tidal is streaming full quality to the Mac (obviously not through JRiver) to my MQA DAC. Ditto to the iFi DAC.

Is there some decision that JRiver's making, or that Apple is making, that's limiting my stream to 320kbps?

Also, just noticed that there are new versions for both of my environments, and for some reason I didn't get notice of that, which means I've missed the discounts... But we'll talk about that after.

Thanks for help.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Mac streaming from a library on JRiver Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »

Is there some decision that JRiver's making, or that Apple is making, that's limiting my stream to 320kbps?

Yes there is!  I personally think JRiver should change the default behavior here.  This is on a list of 4 or 5 things that I think have the wrong default behavior.  But you can certainly change it and get the behavior you want:

On your Mac, which is the MC client (not the server):
Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Audio Conversion > Conversion > (Don't convert audio)

That should send the files in their native format from server to client.

Brian.

enazarko

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Mac streaming from a library on JRiver Windows
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 04:43:34 pm »

Yes there is!  I personally think JRiver should change the default behavior here.  This is on a list of 4 or 5 things that I think have the wrong default behavior.  But you can certainly change it and get the behavior you want:

On your Mac, which is the MC client (not the server):
Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Audio Conversion > Conversion > (Don't convert audio)

That should send the files in their native format from server to client.

Brian.

That was it. When I looked at it, I'd set it to "convert if necessary".  I didn't think about setting it to don't convert, because then there's the next dropdown that asks you what encoder you want - a couple MP3 options, 16 bit PCM or 24 bit PCM. Silly me, I thought... I should select 24 bit to make sure stuff doesn't get mangled... but then, am I sending 16 bit data in a 24 bit form?

That's a set of dialogs that ought to be looked at by someone who's not a JRiver employee or heavy user. When I worked for a web development and systems integration company, we used to look for the newest person or lowest level person at the client to do the testing. Had to make sense to the cleaning crew, or it didn't make sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up