INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting Large Cue / Flac files  (Read 4755 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Splitting Large Cue / Flac files
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:56:06 pm »

Hi there

This is probably an old chestnut that I've been unable to locate the answer for, so apologies if this is covered elsewhere, and feel free to point me in the right direction with a flea in my ear :-)

I've successfully imported a large classical music collection, but the physical files are stored as large flac files (one per CD) with corresponding CUE files. No problems with the import and MC is seeing the individual tracks within each large FLAC.

But I prefer to have individual files per track, and found this post which explains the process within MC for splitting the files

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61933.msg422495#msg422495

I followed the instructions and managed to achieve a bunch of individually named tracks in the appropriate directories. But, just as in the original thread, each of the individual FLAC files contained the whole of the original single album FLAC, not just the track specified in the CUE file and the MC database.

I've looked but I can't see any reference in the original thread as to whether this was ever resolved. I can only assume that the CUE files are correct, as MC was able to import the whole album flacs, and succesfully identify and play the individual tracks in the first place.

Cheers

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Splitting Large Cue / Flac files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:29 am »

i normally don't recommend other software but personally i use CueTools, it works very well on anything .cue

http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools#Download

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:26:11 am »

Hi there

This is probably an old chestnut that I've been unable to locate the answer for, so apologies if this is covered elsewhere, and feel free to point me in the right direction with a flea in my ear :-)

I've successfully imported a large classical music collection, but the physical files are stored as large flac files (one per CD) with corresponding CUE files. No problems with the import and MC is seeing the individual tracks within each large FLAC.

But I prefer to have individual files per track, and found this post which explains the process within MC for splitting the files

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61933.msg422495#msg422495

I followed the instructions and managed to achieve a bunch of individually named tracks in the appropriate directories. But, just as in the original thread, each of the individual FLAC files contained the whole of the original single album FLAC, not just the track specified in the CUE file and the MC database.

I've looked but I can't see any reference in the original thread as to whether this was ever resolved. I can only assume that the CUE files are correct, as MC was able to import the whole album flacs, and succesfully identify and play the individual tracks in the first place.

Cheers

I find that MC works a charm. The link you've found is one way of doing the job. I work to a variation on that theme.

What I do is:

1. Play the .cue in MC (this should show up the individual tracks in Playing Now
2. From Playing Now, select all the tracks and do a Convert Format (pick your preferred format and other specs like compression level, save location)
3. Hit Finish and watch MC do its thing

Simple ..  :)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:53 am »

Thanks for the replies. I tried a kind of mix and match approach based on my own experience and the suggestions. As the album flacs were already in the library, I just selected a few individual tracks, and then using convert format as suggested by astromo. And hey presto it works. By converting flac to flac it runs very very quickly, but breaks up the files based on the cue file perfectly.

It doesn't then seem to have the flexibility of creating folders and new file name that the Copy command has, but I'll just run it as a 2 phase process once all the files are broken up.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:08 pm »

It doesn't then seem to have the flexibility of creating folders and new file name that the Copy command has, but I'll just run it as a 2 phase process once all the files are broken up.

My experience differs with you on this point.

I'm on my phone but when I get the chance, I'll see if I can post a pic to explain how to automatically file the output in a user defined folder / file structure. It works in a similar way to the F6 Rename, Move & Copy function.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up