INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output settings for Music Files  (Read 2081 times)

Dai Guinness

• Recent member
Output settings for Music Files
« on: May 26, 2017, 03:41:43 pm »

Hi all,

Need some help please - been using JRiver for about a month now and proving to be great - just what I was looking for.  I've been reading about how to get the best sound quality from it by altering the output setting but can't find anything about my particular set up.  Please bear in mind I'm an old fashioned audiophile trying hard to come to terms with some new technology so please bear with me if I'm asking some obvious stuff.

Setup = HTPC (Windows 10 64bit), Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5inch SSD, i5 6400 2.7GHz Socket 1151 6MB L3 Processor, HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 1.2V Memory and Asus B150I PRO GAMING/AURA Intel Socket 1151 DVI HDMI 8-Channel HD Audio Mini ITX Motherboard.  The output goes via USB 2 to an Essence HDACC DAC but I don't know what sort of driver this uses.  The DAC is capable of upsampling to 192kHz but also has a bypass route through it.  The MC settings are currently set to Default Audio Device but not sure what the other options mean.  There are also the other device settings which is set to Default Channels but again I don't really know what it means.

Anyone got any experience of using this DAC with MC.  Using latest V22, most of the files are 16bit FLAC CD rips but there are also WAV, MP3 and M4A files.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Output settings for Music Files
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 05:29:32 pm »

Setup = HTPC (Windows 10 64bit), Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5inch SSD, i5 6400 2.7GHz Socket 1151 6MB L3 Processor, HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 1.2V Memory and Asus B150I PRO GAMING/AURA Intel Socket 1151 DVI HDMI 8-Channel HD Audio Mini ITX Motherboard.  The output goes via USB 2 to an Essence HDACC DAC but I don't know what sort of driver this uses. 
You need to install the driver and set it up for your needs as described in the user manual for the Essence HDACC DAC.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Dai Guinness

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:45:04 am »

Hi, thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay getting back to you but I've been away on holiday.

Yes, I've got the driver for the HDACC installed and it's working OK.  What I wanted help with was the additional settings available under Options/Audio.  There are a whole load of tweaks but not having any experience of this myself I wondered if there was anyting I needed to be aware of, or if the default settings were optimal?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:19:06 pm »

Do not select "Default Device" but the specific driver/device you want: Essence HDACC.
Set the output format to "2.0"
For the file types you have (16bit FLAC CD rips but there are also WAV, MP3 and M4A), the DSP defaults are OK.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up