INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embarking on a multi room set up  (Read 1673 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Embarking on a multi room set up
« on: May 28, 2017, 02:59:02 am »

Hi

I am about to plan out a multi room set up. The set up needs to deliver a central library to 2 rooms, both must have ROHQ video for awesome 3D playback in each room. Each room will output to an AVR by HDMI.

Currently I have a all my content on local HDD in my HTPC. Back ups are off line.

I guess I am going to need, at a minimum, an additional HTPC and a NAS. I don't want to leave either PC on all the time. Currently I have a HiFi form factor HTPC and I'll want to maintain that look but happy to down size as I won't need all the HDD in the one box

Can anyone recommend some options to consider for the HDD server and an economical build to get that awesome 3D and ROHQ quality into a second room?

Thanks
Z

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Embarking on a multi room set up
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:06:48 am »

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
Z

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Embarking on a multi room set up
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:54:17 pm »

In order to run ROHQ, no choice but a new HTPC.  I don't think a NUC has enough oompf to run HQ.

But don't buy a NAS if you go beyond the 2-disks models, they are expensive and too often underpowered.

If you have a third room available, I would suggest buy a dirt cheap refurbished off lease basic server like the Dell T30 and use it as your JR Media Server.

Those small servers are really power efficient.  I do not have a Dell, but my server most often runs below 40 Watts, with 5x 5TB and an SSD.  Haswell and later CPU are amazingly efficient, yet have the torque required for heavy lifting, like transcoding for tablets.  And they are built for 24/7 operation.

I mentioned a third room because of noise issues.  You don't want a file server in your HT or music listening area...
And in the same vein, I would suggest an HTPC should not have hard drives, just SSD, and rely on the file server for media.

Cheers !
Pages: [1]   Go Up