INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Playback and Title Anomalies  (Read 2744 times)

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
MC Playback and Title Anomalies
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:18:36 pm »

re: album/CD "Smokers Delight" by "Nightmares on Wax"

We ripped this CD a few years a go using WMP, and today, I ripped it with MC (30-day evaluation version).

1) MC playback anomaly

When playing back either rip of the first track with either WMP or Groove Music, the music fades in slowly from silence. This is at it should be.

When playing back either rip using MC, part (a second or two) of the fadein is skipped, and the music begins abruptly, but before the fadein is complete.

I imported each rip into a wave editor and verified (both visually and audibly) that the fadein from silence was indeed present. It was. Is there setting in MC for a playback audio threshold that would correct this?

2) Track name (metadata) anomaly

On the CD jacket, and on the WMP rip, the first track is entitled "Nights Introlude." In the MC rip, the first track is entitled "Nights Interlude."

Granted, I will probably not find "introlude" in the dictionary, but does MC employ a spell-ckecker that can be disabled? Or, is there some other reason for overriding the ripped CD's data?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Playback and Title Anomalies
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:49:15 pm »

1) Uncheck the box under "Options > Audio > Track Change > Do not play silence (leading and trailing)"

You will also want to check the other settings in that group, as MC has its own cross-fade functionality, which can interfere with tracks that have the fade-in and -out built into the track. I'm pretty sure those settings apply to the first track played, as well as to track changes.

2) No spell checker, that I am aware of. Check your settings under "Options > CD, DVD & BD > Auto Rip CD Database Lookup Options". I suspect what is happening is the track is being ripped, then MC is looking up JRiver's CD database (YADB) and downloading the metadata for it, which includes the different spelling. You can correct this by correcting the metadata on your ripped album and then submitting the data to YADB. Right click the album or track > Library Tools > Submit... etc.

I assume you have read the Wiki articles for ripping CDs. Some are old but still have some value. Also read https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/YADB, noting the comments on Auto Rip.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:50:38 am »

Our ripped audio resides on a NAS; our PC's (running MC evaluation copies) and Oppo BD-105d reside on the network. All ripped albums are in .wav format.

When our ripped albums are accessed via the BD-105d network navigator, the tracks for CD's that are ripped by WMP are displayed and played in the same order as they appear on the CD. When albums ripped from CD using MC, the tracks are displayed and played out of order. The same albums, also ripped using WMP, have correct track listing orders when accessed via the BDP-105d.

Tracks of albums ripped in MC are displayed in MC in the correct order.

Is there something that I should be doing when ripping CD's with MC?

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 01:46:23 pm »

I have discovered some clues.

Numbers (e.g. 01, 02, etc.) are prepended to track names by WMP when albums are ripped in WMP. This results in the tracks being displayed (and played) in the correct order from whichever tool they are viewed (e.g. Windows file explorer, BDP-105d network browser).

In contrast, MC does not prepend an number (but instead prepends the artist or composer name, for some reason), so files are displayed (and in the case of the BDP-105d), played in alphabetical order. (Files are displayed and played by MC in the "correct" order, though, leading my wife, who is participating in this evaluation, to remark, "MC is doing some magic, and that is spooky.")

Is there a way that I can configure the MC ripper to prepend a number, like WMP does? Or, are there reasons for not doing this?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:14 pm »

Rip Disc > Options > File Locations

there you can change the folder and filename rules to be whatever you like. 

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:29:09 pm »

gracias

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:30:50 pm »

Summary: The setting you want is "Option > File Location > Audio (CD rips and Podcasts) > Filename rule".

No magic, just a very good and sophisticated program.

In most default Views MC sorts by [Track #], which makes a lot of sense. For example, the Album View by default is sorted by Album, then within each album, by track.

[Track #] is a separate tag in MC. MC doesn't rely on file naming to do any sorts or selection for play sequence. However, if you wish to prepend the track number on the file name, you can do that. Even if you have ripped tracks that don't have the track number already prepended, the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files..." function (F6) can rename the files any way you want, according to rules/templates you define. It is easy to add the track number. Read https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

In fact though, I just ripped a Cd to FLAC, and the files were all named "[Track #] - [Name]" by default. For example, "01 - When We Dance.flac". The is because I have changed the setting "Option > File Location > Audio (CD rips and Podcasts) > Filename rule" on my MC Server to "[Track #] - [Name]". The default is "[Artist] - [Name]". While you are looking at settings there, check that the "Folder Rule" is what you want to use. By default it is "[Artist]\[Album]" which is what most people want to use.

An easy way to check file names is to hover your mouse over the track in MC, and details about it will be shown in a popup, including the full path and file name. Does it have the [Track #] prepended?

Also try searching the Wiki and forum for information about Views. Creating, modifying, sorting, grouping, etc.

I don't know what the BDP-105D is capable of, but in MC, if you add any album from any view to a Playlist, it is added as it is sorted in the View. So if an album is sorted by track number, and is then added to a Playlist, that is the sequence it will be played when the Playlist is played. Unless, of course, you manually resequence the tracks in the Playlist. So if the BDP-105D can read Playlists from the MC Server, and play them, that will be the sequence the tracks are played.

If you were using the MC Server capabilities, a DLNA Controller/Renderer should be able to view what the MC DLNA Server is serving in the DLNA Views that MC provides. Those Views are customisable, and are separate to the Views used inside MC, although they are similar. You will find the DLNA View definitions under "Options > Media Network > Configure > Add or configure DLNA servers". So if one of your two PCs was running as a MC Server, the BDP-105D would be able to see your music using those DLNA Views. But, for the moment, you aren't doing that, which probably means that the BDP-105D will be restricted to looking up the music by directory structure and filename, which isn't the best way to do it, but will work.

If the BDP-105D relies on selecting files served up by MC via DLNA, and doesn't support any Views or Playlists, then you can rename the files as you wish, from within MC so it knows about the changes, in bulk, using the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files..." function.

EDIT: Ferday beat me. Again.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:37:15 pm »

EDIT: Ferday beat me. Again.  ;D
You took the word count award though.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up