INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art disappears after changing track filename  (Read 2287 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Cover art disappears after changing track filename
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:59:27 am »

Header says it all. Tagging music tracks I try to keep the filename as short as possible (without loosing essential info), so I was a little surprised to see that after changing the filename the cover art suddenly disappears and when I check the Image window in tag mode it tells me that I (no longer) have any cover art for this track. Why does this happen?

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Covert art disappears after changing track filename
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:59:53 am »

How do you store your cover art?

Same folder as Folder.jpg or a specific folder? If it's the later, did you by chance alter the name of the album/album artist?

blgentry

Re: Cover art disappears after changing track filename
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:34:27 pm »

Tagging music tracks I try to keep the filename as short as possible (without loosing essential info), so I was a little surprised to see that after changing the filename [...]

Your statement is very confusing.  Tagging normally refers to changing internal tags in a file, or setting values in MC that correspond to tags.  I.E. setting the Artist or Name field to a value.  But then you refer to changing the file name.

What exactly are you doing when you experience this problem?

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Covert art disappears after changing track filename
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 05:39:02 pm »

How do you store your cover art?

Same folder as Folder.jpg or a specific folder? If it's the later, did you by chance alter the name of the album/album artist?

Your question got me thinking. I know MC moves trackls to a new folder depending on the filename, but a.f.a.i.k the album folder did not change. Moreover, why should the cover art be deleted; it is stored inside the track.

Sorry for the confusion Brian. My fault because since both metatags and filename are all in the same editing window I failed to distinguish. The loss of cover art occurred when I was using the edit window on the right. As I explained part of the metadata editing involves reducing the length of the filenames. The cover art disappeared as soon as I had changed the filename of individual tags. Why does MC delete internally stored cover art when changing an external feature (filename)?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:08:28 am »

I'm still not clear on what you did with "the edit window on the right".  The Tag Window appears on the left.  I could guess at what you're doing, but I'll wait for you to tell me instead.

You're not using the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool?  That's the right way to rename files in MC.  If you're doing a simple truncation of the file name (removing the end or something) RM&C can do that with an expression.  RM&C can use patterns to generate new file names.  RM&C can build folder structures for you based on patterns.  It's quite flexible.  It's the right tool for the job in *most* cases.

I'm guessing that either:

A)  Your method isn't supported and is confusing MC.
OR
B)  You simply need to rebuild thumbnails on the files in question.

If it's B, you can test it by selecting an album and doing Right Click > Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail

Good luck.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:01:33 pm »

Brian has it right.

Editing the filename tag directly was the old way to move files. It should still work, but it does have unexpected consequences sometimes. I suspect you are seeing one of those. It is a long time since I played with doing what you are doing.

But as Brian suggests, I suspect all you need to do is rebuild thumbnails. Plus use the RM&CF function in future.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up