INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I set up a persistent SMB share?  (Read 5489 times)

pepar

• World Citizen
How do I set up a persistent SMB share?
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:14:20 am »

I do come to the Linux party from Windows, so there's that going against me, but hopefully I somewhat redeem myself by wanting to build my JRiver clients with Linux as the OS.  Anyway, I have struggled setting up a Samba share on my unRAID media server to my first JRiver device.  This will run JRiver as a library server.

I have googled and have found many methods, all different it seems.  One source had four answers.  None have worked for me.  I'm sure it was me and my unfamiliarity with Linux, but I refuse to buy four more Win 7 licenses (even though they are cheap now).  Plus there's my nerd pride.

Can anyone steer me to a solution to setting up a persistent method to mount a Samba share?

Thanks,
Jeff

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

pepar

• World Citizen
Re: How do I set up a persistent SMB share?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:48:31 am »

Thanks.  With Debian/XFCE are there any other packages I need to install to use the method you linked?  Will cifs-utilss and systemd already have been installed?

Pls disregard!  I looked in the package manager and found cifs-utils not installed and systemd was.  I checked the former for installation which is happening while I type.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 11:08:37 am »

Still no joy. After entering the command line modified for my circumstances, I received No such file or directory. Googling, I found the standard install of Debian/XFCE does not support browsing Samba shares.  Installed gvfs-backends and was then able to browse via Thunar.  Still I received the error message.  I replaced the (static) IP address with the location displayed in Thunar, i.e. smb://deerhilltower.local/media and still got the error message.

Any suggestions?  BTW, I created the mountpoint folder as well as the samba-credentials file as per the post.  Second BTW, I can ping the unRAID shares via IP address.

Jeff

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:23:22 am »

Try using this line in fstab and reboot, I just posted in the other thread:

//(server.ip.add)/sharename /home/username/Music cifs auto,user,credentials=/home/username/samba-credentials 0 0

I am not clear about the difference between Samba and regular Windows sharing. At any rate, this works for me to connect to a Win 8.1 share that is not password protected, but I had to use my Windows login credentials in the credentials file to work.

If you have a spare older machine for experimentation, try another distro such as Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, Mint, etc. as they are Debian based.

Also, I'm not sure what your options are in Unraid, maybe the share can be set up as a "standard" Windows share, with or without password protection?
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:30:16 am »

I have an update.  I am able to enter "thunar smb://<IP address>/share" in command line.  This brings up the box for me to enter the credentials for the share, INCLUDING THE DOMAIN.  Is there a way to include the domain in the "//ip.address.of.NAS/share_name   /local/mount_point   cifs   noauto,x-systemd.automount,credentials=/home/your_user/samba-credentials  0  0" 

Or maybe in the samba-credentials file?  I feel that I am close!

ps. I will look at the fstab edit.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:00 am »

Try using this line in fstab and reboot, I just posted in the other thread:

//(server.ip.add)/sharename /home/username/Music cifs auto,user,credentials=/home/username/samba-credentials 0 0

I am not clear about the difference between Samba and regular Windows sharing. At any rate, this works for me to connect to a Win 8.1 share that is not password protected, but I had to use my Windows login credentials in the credentials file to work.

If you have a spare older machine for experimentation, try another distro such as Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, Mint, etc. as they are Debian based.

Also, I'm not sure what your options are in Unraid, maybe the share can be set up as a "standard" Windows share, with or without password protection?

Samba (SMB) is the Windows share format.  I do use password, but that isn't the showstopper.  Just searched for "fstab" and couldn't find it.  Of course finding files lead to yet another google search and package installation.  Linux will save the world when nerds take over the world.  Until then, Windows ... even spyware like Win 10 ... will dominate.  Sheesh.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 12:02:57 pm »

I would go to your Distro/Flavor's forum and ask. They know the specifics and will be of more help.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 12:20:36 pm »

Thanks, @Zhillsguy.  Am now looking at documentation for fstab.  :)

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up