INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Crossover Help, Please.  (Read 5995 times)

charles0322

• Recent member
DSP Crossover Help, Please.
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:08 pm »

I have a Focusrite Clarett 8 pre, MC 22, Mac

I would like to use MC to route my 4 way analogue system. output 1-2 for sub, 3-4 for mid-low, 5-6 mid high, 7-8 for highs..

I have created crossover slopes within MC, but how do you configure them to your soundcard/dac outputs?

I am a mac user, the GUI for MC is very confusing to me LOL, it is an incredibly powerful and useful program so I dont need fancy graphics, I just need a hand to configure and cant find a relevant tutorial really.

Thanks, Merci!

charles0322

• Recent member
Re: DSP CROSSOVER HELP! PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 12:31:50 pm »

In case anyone else is having the same issue. It seems the use of a 3rd party VST is used with JRiver to separate the outputs using your selected crossover points.

I would appreciate any help on implementing the VST and finding the one that can achieve a 4 way stereo system..

There is a program I have found called Allocator but it like JRiver has limited support. :-\

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP Crossover Help, Please
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 06:44:35 am »

You don't need a VST for this I don't think.  You should do some searches for active crossover with DSP in this forum.  You won't find a complete guide, but you'll find lots of information.

What you need to do, as a general outline is:

1.  In DSP > Output format set your number of channels to be the number of channels you will use on your external multi-channel DAC.  You probably need to turn off JRSS downmixing and you might need to select "2 channels inside a 5.1 channel container".  Not sure about this.
2.  In DSP > Parametric EQ, duplicate Left and Right to the additional channels.  That way you have a copy of L and R to work with on each of your channel pairs.
3.  In DSP > Parametric EQ , apply high pass and/or low pass filters to each of your channels to remove what should not be there.  For example, a high pass filter at 5,000 Hz for your tweeter (high) channels.

Personally, I wouldn't use MC for this.  MC CAN DO IT FOR SURE!  I just wouldn't do it because of the complexity.  I'd use something like a miniDSP product which is easier to configure.  But that's just my opinion.

You might get more help with this question on one of the other forums here.  Maybe the Windows forum, or maybe the Sound Cards and DACs forum.

Good luck.

Brian.

charles0322

• Recent member
Re: DSP CROSSOVER HELP! PLEASE
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:19:36 pm »

I would use an Ashly Crossover but if I have the 8 channel soundcard and can configure this way it saves me buying anything else.

I pretty much set it up the way you said.. but there is something Im missing. I have searched all threads on this topic. Not one has screen shots EVER. Especially with everyone using different home theatre styled amps over HDMI..

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:17:10 pm »

With JRiver this is super easy and logical.

Set Output Format > Channels to 2 channels (inside 7.1 channel container)
If all your content is just 2 channels . . . set Mixing to No upmixing or downmixing
If you will also play multi-channel content . . . set Mixing to JRSS Mixing and Subwoofer to JRSS Subwoofer (120 Hz low-pass)

You want 1,3,5,7 for your left speaker and 2,4,6,8 for your right speaker. JRiver's channels are in this order
1 - Left
2 - Right
3 - Center
4 - Subwoofer
5 - Rear Left
6 - Rear Right
7 - Surround Left
8 - Surround Right

First you need to copy channels.
Toggle on Parametric Equalizer and use Mix Channels to copy channels. You should also level adjust in the copy channels. Use a negative number to attenuate drivers.

Add your high pass filters to the left speaker (left, center, rear left, surround left) and right speaker (right, subwoofer, rear right, surround right)
Add your low pass filters to the left speaker (left, center, rear left, surround left) and right speaker (right, subwoofer, rear right, surround right)
Finally, use Delay to time align all the channels based on your measurements. Your highest frequency channels (SL, SR) will need no time alignment, but the other channels probably will.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DSP Crossover Help, Please.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 03:30:50 pm »

Hi

if you want to implement sophistiated filters (FIR) for example, you can either use the convolution functionality in JRiver or an external convolver like I use: acourateconvolver.

There exists  a sophisticated filter-design software for it: acourate

With acourate you can even design roomcorrection filters and merge them with yxour crossover!
With acourate you design the filter, with JRiver convolver or acourateconvolver you run it.

acourate, acourateconvolver: www.audiovero.de

Running the JRiver convolver is clumspy to implement and even more difficult to change or compare various filters. However its the lowest cost solution.

Peter

charles0322

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:38:28 pm »

ok I thank you very much for this! I am going to set myself up tomorrow evening and have a go at it with your screen shots.

Thanks again for your support. I really want to migrate all my media to this platform. I do video, photo and playback so it is a great tool

Thanks!

charles0322

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »

Thanks again for your help, was finally able to get it up and running and it will allow me to save approx. 1k$

Going to try and tell as many people about this program as possible

Pages: [1]   Go Up