INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Failed to setup video window" error message - HDMI handshake issue?  (Read 2732 times)

edorr

• Recent member

I am having a very strange problem with JRiver 22 connected to HDMI input on Oppo. Worked fine for years, then I once disconnected my server from Oppo (to use another source). Ever since I plugged the server with JRiver back in I have been having this problem.

When I start a video track, I am getting a "Failed to setup video window (hr=0x80004002) error message and the track won't start. I tried reinstalling JRiver, different cable, different HDMI imput on Oppo and even different HDMI switch. Same problem. Here is what is even weirder. When I unplug HDMI from Oppo, JRiver plays the track just fine, and when I plug HDMI into my Oppo while the track is playing, I get video. However, when I select another track, I get the same error message. It seems like  something is going wrong with the HDMI handshake.

Anyone has any suggestions how to troubleshoot / fix this problem. I can't play any video files now, which is incredibly annoying.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: "Failed to setup video window" error message - HDMI handshake issue?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:53:09 pm »

what version of windows are you running?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

edorr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:44:22 pm »

Windows 10

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:36:31 pm »

I would do a clean reinstall of your graphics card drivers and then, if it hasn't fixed it, jriver.

edorr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 04:37:03 pm »

Thanks, we are on to something here. I am looking at my ADM Radeon Graphics driver and it was installed early May. Could be the problems started after this. I never installed myself so this mus have been done automatically (how, I have no idea).

However, I am not an expert on hardware config and don't want to mess this up. I cannot roll back the driver. If I do update driver I get a "latest driver version installed message". Not sure what happens if I uninstall the Device.

Can you offer detailed instructions of how to reinstall the driver, without screwing things up?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 05:10:57 pm »

I don't have an AMD card so I can't do that, a quick google provides this link from AMD which seems like it should cover it http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/catalyst-windows-install.aspx

edorr

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 06:01:43 pm »

I believe I reinstalled the driver. First no joy, but after reinstalling JRiver, it is working now. I have a hunch the problem will re-occur though. Thanks everyone so far anyway. It least I know it is a Radeon Driver Issue.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:05:11 pm »

My guess is it's W10 updating drivers it has no business doing so....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:00:51 am »

Silly question, but can you connect directly from your HTPC to your display, instead of the Oppo?

Oh, but let me guess:  You're using the Oppo as a switcher and a DAC aren't you?  So no go on bypassing the Oppo because you won't get audio except through the display's speakers...

Brian.

Manfred

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:50:44 am »

I had a similar problem as I connected a NVIDIA GK supporting HDM 1.4 to my new LG 4K OLED. After Upgrading to a new EVGA Pascal GK supporting HDMI 2.0 - the problem was gone.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )
Pages: [1]   Go Up