INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Apps  (Read 2260 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Web Apps
« on: June 17, 2017, 06:27:10 am »

Radio KISS is our third modern web app, after the Engen Lighting app that can be found under Panel, and Panel itself.

I thought it might be useful if I explained what these web apps are.

Technology
Ordinary applications for phones and tablets require a download and install.  They also have to be kept up to date.

Web apps are built into the server and run on demand.  In this case, JRiver Media Center is the server.

HTML5 was added to web servers and browsers a few years ago.  It is a richer environment.  Audio and video are built in, for example, so any modern browser can play audio or video.  We will use more of these capabilities in the future.

Organization
In our new world, Panel is the parent app, and it branches to other child apps like Radio KISS.  Panel is a menu, from which you can choose the other apps.  Some of these apps are legacy and will be replaced.

Operation
To start an app, you give any browser a URL.  This is similar to other kinds of browsing.  You need to know the URL.

The JRiver apps use ports numbered between 52100 and 52199.  Panel is on 52199 and it branches to the other apps, so you only need to know the address for Panel.

The URL has two parts, an IP address and a port.  They are separated by a colon.  Here's an example of a URL to start Panel:

http://192.168.0.15:52199   The IP address, however, needs to be your own.  You can find it by running Windows CMD and then typing ipconfig .

On the same machine where the server is running, you can use the localhost feature:

http://localhost:52199

Advantages
No setup
No maintenance
Runs on any device with a modern browser that supports HTML5 (most devices now)

More
HTML5 Audio at Wikipedia

HTML5 Video at Wikipedia

Pages: [1]   Go Up