INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm stumped.  (Read 2594 times)

bg

• Junior Woodchuck
I'm stumped.
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:57:46 pm »

Cannot remove an album/files in MC for Mac 21.0.92
My Macbook is running macOS Sierra 10.12.5

Here's MC notice I see when I try to delete album/files in question:

"There was a problem deleting files. Please ensure that the files are not in use
by another program and that the files have delete permissions.

Below this I see:

/Volumes/Music/$RECYCLE.BIN/S- (followed by many numbers and "$RKVSEFW/followed by name of album I want to delete.

How to I get into this location where these files are so I can try to delete them?
I'm thinking as administrator of my Macbook, that I have all permissions to perform
file delete functions on applications. I realize Mac protects some system files to prevent users from screwing things up in a major way like one can with Windows O/S.

Any ideas to help Mac smart techs?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: I'm stumped.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:42:13 pm »

"Recycle Bin" is a Windows thing.  It's likely that the disk you have mounted came from a Windows system and the files there were "soft deleted" by Windows and the Recycle bin was never emptied.

This also implies that the disk in question could be an NTFS disk and therefore the Mac can not write to that disk without special third party add-on utilities.

Take a look at the disk in Disk Utility and see what the file system type is.  If it's NTFS, you probably want to start over with a disk format that the Mac can read *and* write.

Good luck.

Brian.

bg

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: I'm stumped.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:11:50 pm »

Thanks bigentry. Never heard of a "soft" delete till now.

Always learning new things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up