INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't import known good AAC files  (Read 2485 times)

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
Can't import known good AAC files
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:12:15 am »

Hello, I'm seeking help for what's probably a simple problem...

I am having difficulties importing files that were encoded in AAC, using iTunes. The files reside on a Synology NAS. The files will play in the NAS audio player, in iTunes and in VLC. One example of what's happening is an album that contains 17 tracks. When I import this album, I receive the following messages: "Imported 13 new files. Updated 5 files that had external changes [I have no idea to what this message refers]. Skipped 3 files (previously determined to be bad)." The 17th file (actually track 1), MC22 ignores completely. I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of... (1) checked the flags to assure the Read Only flag is not set, (2) renamed a file that was erroneous assigned to a different album, (3) copied the files to a new folder and imported them from there, (4) deleted the files from the media library and re-imported them, from both the old and the new locations.

I'm using MC22, version 22.0.108.

Any ideas to try would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott D.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Can't import known good AAC files
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:46 pm »

not sure if this will help but....udate to the current version 22.0.110 may or may not help....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:34:47 am »

Updated 5 files that had external changes [I have no idea to what this message refers].

These 5 files are already in MC's database so you may not have deleted them as you describe. Something in the file (tag or filename) changed. This change happened external to MC so it had to update the library on detecting the change on import.

Skipped 3 files (previously determined to be bad).

This is a clue. The files are either 'bad' as indicated or not actually audio files. I've sometimes seen this error with .cue files. Try removing any non-audio files from the folder before importing.

renamed a file that was erroneous assigned to a different album

I take it you're creating tags from the file name/directory structure on import. Sounds like it's not very consistent at the moment. Might be worth just looking at the files in an external Tag editor (I use MP3Tag) to see what the tags looks like before you import again it might reveal what's going on.

Spike

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:45:41 pm »

Spike1000,

I don't know whether you'll see this...hopefully, you will. I don't have much time to devote to debugging my MC23 install, so because MC works so well for the vast majority of my digital music files, I tend to slack, when it comes to these repairs. Anyway...

You may remember that I initially asked for help understanding why MC couldn't import some of my music files. I believe this only happens with AAC and ALAC files. The files read as having no tags, even tho Win10 recognizes tags in these files and can display them within the details pane in Windows Explorer. I have no idea why these files could not be read properly. In any case, I downloaded Mp3tag v2.86, and did as you suggested. I loaded the apparently "bad" files into Mp3tag and manually wrote tags. This seemed to fix most of the AAC files that MC23 wouldn't import. Thanks, very much, for the recommendation to use Mp3tag. Now my only problem is that there are 1084 of these files. :-\

I still have a couple of problems in MC23:

(1) There are still some files that MC refuses to play, even with the tags apparently repaired. The ones I've identified, so far, are all ALAC files which MC23 has labeled as .m4a.  Does MC23 look at ALAC files as .m4a, just as it does with AAC files? Or is this a mis-identification?
(2) Is there a way to re-tag files in bulk fashion? It's going to take me forever to repair over 1000 files.

Again...thanks for your help.

Scott D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up