INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI Problem - W4S64.sys crash (wyred for sound DAC-2) [Solved]  (Read 4574 times)

mramsden

• Recent member

I’ve had my DAC-2 since 2011, using MC since then.

Was working just fine yesterday … but today, when I tried running JRiver, I get a blue screen crash, which says there is a problem with the W4S64.sys file.

I found mention of this on the JRiver wiki, re: the driver from 2012.

I switched from the WASAPI to kernel streaming for the driver, and it doesn’t crash.

I upgraded to version 22 JRiver: still crashes with WASAPI.

I tried downloading new drivers from the W4S website … seems the newest listed for the DAC-2 are from 2010. (I downloaded and installed the drivers labeled 10th Anniv DSD USB drivers, which seems to have a newer W4S64.sys driver, but if I select WASAPI it still crashes.)

I’m running this on Windows 10, latest version (non-beta) which worked fine up until yesterday.  Haven't added anything new recently, although there was a windows update Tuesday night ... but yesterday had no trouble with it, post-update.

Any ideas?  I have sent much the same msg to W4S as well ...

Thanks for any advice.

..Mike

mramsden

• Recent member
Re: W4S64.sys crash (wyred for sound DAC-2)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »

.. Also .. with the "kernel streaming" mode, sound is locked to MC after running: ie it doesn't relinquish sound after closing. Trying to run anything else produces a message that the output is in use. Other sound sources work fine until MC is run, then no sound from others.

No obvious component of MC is running in Task Manager to lock everything else out. Have to reboot to get sound to other software after running Media Center.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:02:56 pm »

Can you try rolling back the Windows update?

gdrichardson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:05:18 pm »

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. I have had my DAC-2 since 2012, my last Windows 10 update was 6/14/2017 (2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022725)).

mramsden

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 01:06:23 am »

Can you try rolling back the Windows update?

;D ;D ;D

Brilliant: that did it! Back to normal. Seems the latest Windows update: KB4022716, 2017/06/27, broke it. Rolled back that single update, and it's back to normal.

Will let W4S know; perhaps they can troubleshoot with MS to figure out why.

But: happy it's back to working properly!

chink8ball

• Recent member
Re: WASAPI Problem - W4S64.sys crash (wyred for sound DAC-2) [Solved]
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 02:21:33 pm »

Had the same problem.  Running W10 64 Pro and updates installed in June but then I was traveling for two weeks.  Back and while JRM 19 would load and the libraries would show, each time I tried to play a file via Wyred4Sound DAC2, the PC would crash after about 5 seconds of dubious playback.  Reinstalled JRM, JRM and libraries, etc.  PITA.  Once the MS update was rolled back, everything worked fine.  Highly annoying.

mramsden

• Recent member
Re: WASAPI Problem - W4S64.sys crash (wyred for sound DAC-2)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:59:08 am »

This reared it's ugly head again.

I've gotten around it by using directsound output, which seems to work ok. Disadvantages?

Wasapi crashes (BSOD). Tried kernel mode, but that disables sound from other applications even after closing JR, and I have to reboot.

Tried the directsound option, and that seems to be working ok.

I read on Headfi that someone there was told that wyred has stopped supporting this device for Windows. I've emailed them but hope that's not true ... it's the main reason I have this device. Given all the new DACs available, I can't see that it's worth spending the significant cost to upgrade this DAC so it does work ... and if it won't be supported at some time later, I'd be in the same situation.

gdrichardson

• Recent member
Re: WASAPI Problem - W4S64.sys crash (wyred for sound DAC-2) [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:35:19 am »

The problem stopped for me after installing Version 23, 64 bit.

Edit. Regarding W4S ending Windows support for the DAC-2, that will never happen, the driver is still on the download page of the website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up