INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi as renderer not showing under playing now  (Read 2544 times)

larichardson73

• Recent member
IdPi as renderer not showing under playing now
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:39:28 pm »

I ordered and set up an IdPi about a month or so ago.  Up until a couple of days ago, everything has been working flawlessly.  However, now the IdPi is not showing up under "Playing Now" on my server computer or JRemote. 
The only changes I have made were to move the server computer to a different room in the house.  But this shouldn't affect anything, and the server computer is still working fine.
Everything is connected via wi-fi.  If I reboot my router, then the IdPi reappears.  However, it inevitably disappears again.  Sometimes this takes 10 minutes, sometimes an hour or so.
Other DLNA renderers also disappear from the server "Now Playing" list, but the IdPi usually disappears first.
This obviously seems like a networking problem.  However, I haven't changed the location or any settings of my wireless router. 
I have tried changing the channel on my router, but this hasn't helped.
JRiver Media Network is turned on on both the server and the IdPi.  JRiver is given permissions on Windows Firewall, and Port 52199 is open on the router.  Again, this was all working well before. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix a problem like this?

larichardson73

• Recent member
Re: IdPi as renderer not showing under playing now
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 04:33:58 pm »

In addition.  Most of the time, after the IdPi disappears from the "Now Playing" list, it is no longer accessible through Windows Remote Desktop or through Panel.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 04:43:51 pm »

Did you try powering everything down and back up?  Computers, network, modem, etc.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:52:36 pm »

Everything has been restarted at some point, but maybe not all at the same time.  Right now, after reading your post, I just shut everything down (server, IdPi, modem, router), and just started it all back up.  I'll see how that works.  The IdPi is visible right now.  However, it is always visible right after the router is rebooted.  I'll see how long it lasts.  Thanks for the response.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »

If the Id and other DLNA devices disappear, then there is probably something wrong with the network, as you said above.

Duplicate IP addresses?

Duplicate DHCP servers?

DNS Server problem?

Wireless network interference?

Can you simplify or alter your network, for testing purposes?

An Internet search for similar problems might yield results.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:11:32 pm »

OK.  I will do some googling, and investigate those potential problems.  From the device list on my router page, I don't see duplicate IP addresses.  As far as DHCP and DNS, I'll have to google and find out about that stuff.  I am pretty dumb when it comes to networking.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:55 pm »

DHCP assigns addresses to devices on your LAN.  Usually done by your modem or router, but should not be done by both.

DNS looks up outside addresses, like www.jriver.com.  Usually done by your ISP.  They run a  DNS Server.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »

This problem seems to have resolved itself.  No idea why.  But I've had a good, solid connection for about 36 hours straight now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up