INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reported size of library frozen and inaccurate  (Read 3029 times)

prof.trance

• Recent member
Reported size of library frozen and inaccurate
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:58:25 pm »

I have a library of 51806 audio files and 429 PDF's. The bar at the bottom of my MC window reports the correct number of files and updates accordingly whenever I add media (days to play also updates with each new import), but the reported size of the library has stopped updating. It has stayed at 1.8TB for quite a while now. The library folder where my audio files reside is now at 2.1TB. I am of course wondering why that is. I'm running v.22.0.88 in OSX 10.8.5 on a mid-2010 Mac Mini with 8GB RAM. My files are stored on a Synology NAS and all else is working very well. I believe this issue has been occurring throughout previous MC updates.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reported size of library frozen and inaccurate
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41:44 pm »

That's very strange.  Are you sure that the number of files updates, but the size does not?

What view are you using?  Screen shot?

Brian.

prof.trance

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 05:42:47 pm »

I have watched the number of files update nicely after any import, but not the library size for quite a while now. I'm using Standard View. Here's a shot of the library folder (Music) and its size in Finder vs. the reported size at the bottom of the MC window.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:48 pm »

It looks like a lot of your files on disk have not been imported.  Finder reports about 59k files, while MC only reports a bit under 52k .  I would guess that's probably the source of the discrepancy.

Brian.

prof.trance

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 08:26:16 pm »

Those other files are various non-audio, non-PDF files, cover art, etc. files that litter my music library and that MC does not import - not non-imported audio files. Again, my reported library size has not gone up in months, all the while the other 2 reported stats (ie. number of files and total play time) go up every time I import new audio. I appreciate the time you are taking to give this anomaly some thought.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 03:11:11 pm »

Hmm, I don't have any good ideas on this.

Your post has lead me to looking at my own collection and I'm rather shocked at how many non-imported files I have in my music directories.  It's roughly 3.4 files per album, which seems VERY high.  I usually have one file of album art and one log file from the CD rip.

I wonder if I do not actually have everything imported.  I might try doing an audit of this, but the only method I can think of is REALLY ugly, so maybe not.

Good luck with your issue.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up