INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder View  (Read 2918 times)

song_of_norway

Folder View
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:24:39 am »

Hello and my thanks in advance!
This is my third time of trying JRiver.
The obvious draw is the improved audio quality compared to Kodi although I am very happy with the Kodi menu layout.
I have many folders on the NAS with folder.jpg files for the cover art.
There is unique folders i.e. home movies and rare music folders such as Bowie live recordings which cannot be tagged correctly.
I want to search and menu my folders showing the folder view, at the moment I get thousands of individual files.
Any help?
Mark

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Folder View
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:09:40 am »

rare music folders such as Bowie live recordings which cannot be tagged correctly.

My 2p on this (I've said this a few times on the forum if you search for my previous posts)  is that tagging (or metadata as it's sometimes called) is key to MC.  MC is based on a database initially populated from the metadata (tags) from your files. Poor tags results in a poor MC experience. The folder view approach is outdated and restrictive as it doesn't show the power of MC (and other music players).

Files can be tagged with sufficient metadata. My advice would be take 20 or so albums and experiment with the tagging capabilities of MC (or a 3rd party tool such as MP3Tag). This will hopefully show you the advantage of MC and encourage you to bite the bullet and sort out the tags for your files; it may take you a while but it only has to be done once and and you'll become familiar with music you may have forgotten about  :)

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108967.msg754554.html#msg754554
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109863.msg759914.html#msg759914

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:50 am »

You can use MC's tool called Fill Properties from Filename to tag your files automatically.  As Spike said, you just need to experiment with it a little.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:30:33 am »

I used to really push for people to add/edit metadata on their files so that they can really use MC in a powerful way.  However, like many things in MC, I've found that some groups of people simply don't care, or strongly disagree, and simply want to use folder structures.  I guess I can kinda understand.  So I accept that.

For those people, like the OP here, you can set up a Categories view in MC that simply uses "File Path".  Then you can just click on file paths and drill down through the directory structure and find what you want.

View > Add View > Add Library View > Empty View
Right Click on new view > Customize View > Show categories in this order > (click on first entry) > Edit
Type > File Path > (Optionally select a top level drive or folder containing your music)
Press OK multiple times to save your work

You might need to experiment with this a bit, but you should be able to get a working disk based view.

Good luck.

Brian.

song_of_norway

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:54:02 am »

Gentlemen, I thank you all for your time and troubles!
I have thousands of folders/files nearly 4TB worth, mostly audio.
Most of which is not tagged because there was never a need with Kodi.
I have managed some progress courtesy of Brian's kind advice but I will need to progress.
Thank you again,
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up