INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To PC-Cillin users  (Read 1892 times)

zevele10

To PC-Cillin users
« on: July 03, 2003, 11:00:19 am »

I got it on a disc with my new motherboard.
I really liked it.
..And was mad at IE6 for be such a piece of junk...

Saw somewhere that 'Web Trap' [ or a name like it  ,i do not remember the name] was causing a lot of problems when surfing.
So just op out this fonction in the firewall.
IE6 was working better , but still not good.

I did not feel to pay for the PC-Cilling at the end of the 90 days.

So back to free AVG anti-virus and free personal firewall Sygate [ NOT zonealarm ,it is junk].

And you know what?

IE6 is working fine
I surf faster
Many programs open and work faster , than when PC-Cilling on my computer
Memory usage less intensive as well.

SO.........................

nameless

Re: To PC-Cillin users
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 11:07:49 am »

I use PC-cillin 2002 and 2003, I like them very much.  But the PC-cillin firewall sucks, and its "WebTrap" feature conflicts with another application I use (Ad Muncher).  However, PC-cillin is very good at virus and trojan detection (much better than AVG).

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 11:19:10 am »

I do not say that AVG is better or not.
It is free ,this ,i know.
I never had a virus in my life , so cannot judge AVG or others.

You are right ,the firewall looks not good at all.

But what about memory usage and speed ?
Since PC-Cillin not on my PC , as i said ,my computer is much faster with some programs.

I liked very much the 'working quietly in the back' of PC-Cillin - and the fact to have anti-virus and firewall under one program.

I did not buy it because i spend MUCH  TO MUCH money on the web , and want to calm down.
But  was nothing to do with PC-Cillin quality.

It is just that now i see a real difference when not having it running

nameless

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 11:42:23 am »

I know you didn't say whether AVG was better or not--I was just trying to make a separate point.   ;)

PC-cillin does work nicely in the background, and even updates itself seamlessly.  But some features really do need work.

I did not notice a slowdown when I installed PC-cillin, but of course there is one.  I will uninstall it just to see if I notice a difference.  I'll post back and give my impressions.  However, I usually am not very sensitive to minor changes in performance.

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 11:49:40 am »

Can be something to do with the computer configuration.
I changed processor ,motherboard and updated to Windows 2000 and ,from day one had PC-Cillin installed.

Only since the end of my 90 days with 2000 and one month 3000 trial , i 'see' my computer faster. Not allways ,but not a minor change .
Of cause not a very big change  as well.

Beside it ,i liked PC-Cillin . Firewall of 3000 was better than the 2000 one

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 06:31:47 am »

I have never tried PC-illin even though it came with my motherboard. I have used Norton Anti-Virus for several years now and LOVE it.
1- It WORKS!  I have done an incredible amount downloading (including peer-to peer file sharing) and have NEVER had a virus infect my computer . . . NAV caught everyone immediately before it had a chance(and there have been many).
2- It can be configured to run invisibly in the background (incuding updates)
3-After the updates run out, a subscription is reasonably priced.

BTW: what is wrong with Zone Alarm? Just the free version or the Pro version?

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 07:24:20 am »

ZoneAlarm can give a lot of problems with some sites ,programs
With services like YADB ,Freedb ,CDDB and make you surf much slower.
The free one is really basic and does not make things easy with FTTP sites and other things who are not part of " mister average" use

It is not junk - because of my english ,i make shortcuts - but i do think it is really over estimated ?
Well ,not as good as the legend says.

I downloaded only one time a program with a virus , and AVG found it before i opened it.

I use to download only music ,so i'am not very much at risk , and NEVER EVER used Outlook in all my web life.

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 12:10:15 pm »

There is a major problem in using Zone Alarm (and other software firewalls):
I've installed it once and the first saturday night my computer  slowed down to almost 0. Figured out that ZA was busy to defeat tons of 'Port intrusions' (CPU up to 94% ) All of them were requests of filesharing programs, you'll get them even if you don't use one of those (and are harmless). In other words: If I couldn't use my computer anymore I knew it's sharetime again.
Kicked it out and bought a hardware router with integrated firewall for about $100. There was a need for the router anyway so it was an easy decision. It's the better solution and you really need a software firewall only if you want better control of what's going from your computer to the outside (spyware etc). With a hardware firewall you can do this because the port intrusions don't reach ZA anymore.

AC
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

nameless

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 12:51:00 pm »

I had the same experience with ZoneAlarm Pro--several different versions.  It would constantly peg the CPU at ~70% (minimum).  I guess the idea is that if your computer is basically locked up, it's secure.

This was not just a figment of my imagination, either: The ZoneAlarm forums (http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=gen) were littered with similar complaints.  And it is STILL an outstanding issue, "to be addressed in a future version".  And it has been about 5 months since I had the problem!

Junk, through and through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up