INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS-CD decoding from FLAC  (Read 5734 times)

BadMax

• Recent member
DTS-CD decoding from FLAC
« on: July 22, 2017, 10:14:52 am »

I have 2 DTS-CDs as FLAC in the library that work.

Now i ripped another DTS-CD to WAV and did split and convert it to FLAC with CUETools.
Then i did wonder i had only noise in JR.
After some time i did remember that the last time i was using foobar and it decodes the DTS and makes multichannel FLAC's

The thing is it would me nice to not to this and leave the DTS intact.
This way you have the choice to decode on the PC or let the AVR handle it.

Must be possible because foobar does recognize the FLAC is DTS and plays it fine.

BadMax

• Recent member
Re: DTS-CD decoding from FLAC
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:59:55 am »

Support?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:31:37 pm »

What are you trying to do?

There are no DTS FLAC files - there is multichannel FLAC

MC reads DTS and Multi-FLAC just fine.  You can rip straight to DTS files as well

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:55 pm »

ferday,

He's likely working from rips of DTS CDs.  These are a very strange format with unusual requirements in order to play them.  Decoding DTS to lossless is probably the best way, but a lot of guys that have rips of their DTS CDs keep them as the pure DTS stream stored in a WAV (or PCM) container.  Storing those streams in a FLAC container is even more confusing.  I know very little about them, other than it being unusual with unusual configurations required.

Brian.

BadMax

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:25:16 pm »

There are no DTS FLAC files
So how is it possible i have them?
It's what you get if you split a big DTS wav or ape with CUETools to FLAC.
You only get multichannel FLAC if you use a converter with a DTS decoder.
Just plain FLAC (command-line) does not produce multichannel files.

Did you read that foobar plays them fine and that i don't want to convert them to multichannel FLAC?

wav DTS files do also not work right in JR. The codec column shows DTS but the channel column shows just 2.

FLAC is the only thing i rip to because it has the best tagging system (Vorbis comments).

I know very little about them, other than it being unusual with unusual configurations required.
No unusual configurations required.
foobar does it fine.
FLAC is just like a zip file. The pcm is not altered and everything is preserved.
I also have Dolby Surround CDs and there is no Dolby Surround software decoder.
So you need to let the AVR handle the decoding. The surround matrix is preserved in the stereo signal with FLAC.

It also can happen that FLAC messes up the channel mapping if you convert to multichannel.
Had this just yesterday with pcm from a High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray.
dBpoweramp does this. Surround and back surround speakers are switched.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:40:33 pm »

No unusual configurations required.
foobar does it fine.

Clearly you have problems playing these with MC.  That's because they are unicorn format:  Very unusual and requiring very specific things.  If it was ubiquitous and normal, it would just play in every player right?

I wish you the best of luck.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 08:21:41 pm »

ferday,

He's likely working from rips of DTS CDs.  These are a very strange format with unusual requirements in order to play them.  Decoding DTS to lossless is probably the best way, but a lot of guys that have rips of their DTS CDs keep them as the pure DTS stream stored in a WAV (or PCM) container.  Storing those streams in a FLAC container is even more confusing.  I know very little about them, other than it being unusual with unusual configurations required.

Brian.

i understand now, thanks.  yes that's possible of course since FLAC and WAV are containers.  it is a weird thing IMO

they would show as 2 channel, since DTS is 2 channel then decoded.

BadMax, i don't understand why you do this, but there are always reasons i guess. 

edit:  i have many .dts files but i've always ripped straight off disc as .dts.  i don't have any of the discs as they are in storage after a large move.  if you know how to "wrap" a dts in FLAC without encode, i'll test for you

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:50:26 pm »

DTS encoded flac files will play in JRiver MediaCenter; I do this frequently.

In order to play these files, you need to make sure JRiver is set up to deliver bit-perfect audio to your decoder.  Some things to check...

1. Make sure you're using WASAPI or ASIO output. You can find this under playback options.

2. Make sure JRiver's volume control is set to 100%. I keep it disabled; you'll find this under playback options as well.

3. Make sure JRiver is set up for bitstreaming. This also is under playback options.

BadMax

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 10:54:57 pm »

BadMax, i don't understand why you do this, but there are always reasons i guess.
1. Flexibility would be nice. You have the option to use SPDIF or HDMI and let the AVR handle the decoding. Or you can decode on the PC and use the 7.1 analog out or pcm over HDMI.

2. After ripping you don't need to make sure for every song that the mapping is right.

But ok, if its not supported i store two versions on my drive and use foobar if i want DTS.

In order to play these files, you need to make sure JRiver is set up to deliver bit-perfect audio to your decoder.
Yes that works. But i also have a Xonar Essence ST + H6 and want to go directly to the speaker crossover.
So sometimes audio goes through one of the AVRs and sometimes not.

mtnmarty

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 04:45:06 pm »

DTS encoded flac files will play in JRiver MediaCenter; I do this frequently.

In order to play these files, you need to make sure JRiver is set up to deliver bit-perfect audio to your decoder.  Some things to check...

1. Make sure you're using WASAPI or ASIO output. You can find this under playback options.

2. Make sure JRiver's volume control is set to 100%. I keep it disabled; you'll find this under playback options as well.

3. Make sure JRiver is set up for bitstreaming. This also is under playback options.

Ed, I just wanted to say thanks! I couldn't remember what I had to do to playback my DTS encoded flac files. Your post reminded me that the playback stream could not be modified in any way, which caused me to remember I had recently enabled volume leveling in DSP Studio. Disabled volume leveling and all DTS files work again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up