INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld virtual device, library issues  (Read 2928 times)

jptrudel

• Recent member
Handheld virtual device, library issues
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:00:52 pm »

Hi,

I am running MC 22. Main machine is a desktop i7 on Win 10.
I have a client machine running on Win 7.
I created a virtual handheld device on an external hard dive connected to the Client. It is my first experience with handheld device.
Most of the material on the main library is FLAC but I wanted to emulate an handheld device that would be populated with mp3 and connected to the client to sync.   Creation of the device went well and the conversion was fluid.

This morning the server seems to have forgotten about the handheld device.  Nothing was showing up in the options-handheld menu.  Both the server and the client were shutdown last night. I added the device manually and things were all right.  Server and remote handheld shaked hand beautifully.

All files gave the status On device. Size of the transfer was 111 Gb.

At the moment, I get  files with status File missing from the handheld device. I can see the path in the filename field.
I checked on the remote external drive and the files showing missing are on the drive and healthy. I could play them in Windows Media player.

Also some files have the status On device but there is nothing in the tag name, artist or album. They are all empty but I can see the path in the filename  Size of the transfert is now 57Gb.

If I try to sync, I get an information message: None of the tracks can be transferred. Common errors include insufficient rights or unsupported file types.

Looks like some form of corruption occurred in the sync process. Before redoing the work, I was hoping I could troubleshoot the issue.

I would think most of the mp3  files are already in the cache,  so recreating the virtual handheld device should be faster if I have to redo the work.

jptrudel

• Recent member
Re: Handheld virtual device, library issues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:12:56 pm »

Just noticed the the file format of the files showing the missing status on the handheld are labeled  flac or aif  on the sync page.

On the remote drive they are mp3 as expected after the conversion as I specified mp3 as the only format supported by the device.

jptrudel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 04:45:33 pm »

Just noticed that the files with the missing tag are pointing to I:my music which is a non existing drive.
there has never been a drive using the letter I: on my systems.
Is it possible that the server gave this letter to the remote drive at one point.

Is there a way to edit the filename path to redirect the database in the proper location.

Other files that shows on device are showing the correct path starting with  \\MOBILE\My DJmusic\

So I would need to edit the path from I:My Music to \\MOBILE\My DJmusic.
Or just delete maybe these faulty files and try to sync again.

jptrudel

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »

I deleted the device.  Remove and Ignore the device.
Created a new one gave it a new name Passport mp3.  MC noticing that there is already files on the device. Do you want to aanalyse anyway ^ Yes .
Same result, with 7500 files missing and pointing to a non-existing drive l:

In the sync configuration I have the tab All Audio enabled.
All the files showed On device but after eenabling the All Audio tab, MC is analysing and then return the status missing files for some files. Some other are Duplicate. Most are On Device.

jptrudel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:46:40 am »

Not too sure if my post was done on the right page as it states MC 23 and I am running MC22.
Could not locate MC22 forum\support page.

At this point, I deleted the the virtual device and I also deleted the folder on the device with all material on it.
I relocated the external hard drive. Now attached directly to the server.
I deleted all material in the cache.

Created a virtual handheld device with the external hard drive now named with  the letter I:
Selected the mp3 encoder and adding mp3 as the only format supported by the device.
Process ran overnight and all seems ok.
I still have to disconnect the drive and see if MC will still recognise the device and be able to sync.
That's where things got fulty the first time.

Not perfect. I don't want everybody to sync their device from the server. I would prefer this operation to be done from the client.

I am planning to buy a Xiio X5 and want to be sure the sync operation can track properly.

If someone provide a link on the best practice using handheld device, that would be helpful.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 08:32:10 pm »

In your first attempt, when the Client lost the information about the Virtual Handheld Device, could the Server and/or Client have been closed before the Client had a chance to sync back to the Server? If so, the Server never had the information, and next time the Client started and connected to the Server it was refreshed with a new copy of the library from the Server, without the Virtual Handheld Device.

I have a Virtual Handheld Device on my Client that is retained through restarts over time.

However, the Handheld functionality is a little ... quirky.

I assume you have read this: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Also have a read of this and its links where relevant: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97847.0

Then read this thread, perhaps starting from the post I link to here, but maybe the whole thread. It started as a Mac discussion, but there is some good stuff in there: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101017.msg701177.html#msg701177

Hopefully that helps.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jptrudel

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 11:35:33 pm »

Thanks for following up on my post.

I took the external drive away and reconnected it with MC already running.
The handheld virtual device was not detected.
I closed MC and restarted. Then the device was detected and all was fine.

I will experiment again with a drive attached to the client as it would be the best setup for me.

Thanks for the link. I studied the best I could before getting involved with the virtual handheld device. I knew it was possible reading some threads.  But things started to get really hectic at some point. so I posted to get some assistance.

Please note that on the main page of the forum the item related to old versions should now be saying MC 22 and older.
As it says Version 21 and older, I went to the MC23 forum. My mistake.

BTW, How stable is MC23 ??

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 02:29:27 am »

No problem with following up. That is what the forum is for.

I use an internal drive for the location of m virtual device, so haven't experienced problems with it being re-detected. But if you have a problem with that, check that Windows is detecting the USB drive in a timely manner. Sometimes USB devices take a little wile to be detected. But if it appears in Windows Explorer, it should appear in MC.

The last thread I linked to gets in pretty deep on how Handhelds work. A bit heavy. But it helps to understand.

Unfortunately I can't change the description of the forum items, as I'm just a user like you. I am on the Beta Team, but that is all. However, I'm pretty sure someone will notice your comment and fix it, just as they noticed your post was in the MC23 forum and moved it.

Public releases of MC23 have been very stable. Us Beta users see a few more releases, and the occasional problem, but they are fixed quickly and don't usually get into the public releases. I think the upgrade is worth it, because TV functionality is still being improved, and I value that.

Enjoy!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:18 pm »

I just noticed that my third thread above was the wrong one. It was the most in depth as well. Fixed it in the post.

Should have been this one: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101017.msg701177.html#msg701177
Pages: [1]   Go Up