INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Mac experts please help! Surround Channels inverteded in 7.1 programs  (Read 1630 times)

antozac

• Recent member

Sorry if this issue has been posted before, I could not find it! I am sure this is not a JRiver Media Center 23 for Mac's problem, it is very likely a Mac's Problem

I am running a Mac Mini with Yosemite 10.10.5 with a Integra receiver (with 7.1 capabilities) and they are hooked with HDMI connection.

I have several Movies with DTS HD MA 7.1, as a test I went to the Audio Midi Setup/Audio Devices/Configure Speakers/Multi-channel/7.1 Rear Surround and click on each speaker button to make sure the pink noise was coming out from the assigned speakers. I found that the Surround Speakers were inverted with the Surround Rear Speakers. As an additional test I played a 7.1 test track with JRiver and the issue appeared consistently. SR and S inverted!

It is easy to conclude that there is a problem in the wiring. It is not, 100% sure!

Running the level calibration test in the receiver's settings, all the channels matched and performed the test correctly, additionally running the same 7.1 test track in a OPPO player connected thru HDMI to the same receiver, all the channels matched as well.

Trying to fix this I went back to Audio Midi Setup/Audio Devices/Configure Speakers/Multi-channel/7.1 Rear Surround and changed the channel assignment numbers 5,6,7,8 by 7,8,5,6 respectively but no effect was experienced clicking the speaker buttons for noise test. (Pic attached for reference)

As a note, I have to say that 5.1 configuration runs well and it is consistent with the receiver settings, in other words Surround Rear Speakers off for 5.1.

Any way to reassign the surround speakers from the Mac? or any different route?

Thanks for any help

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Assuming you are NOT bitstreaming from MC, you can use the DSP Studio to move channels around.  Under Parametric EQ, try playing with Mix Channels or Order Channels.  I would try Order Channels first and see if that works.  If not, try Mix channels and use the "swap" feature.

I think one of these two will get you what you want.

Good luck.

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

It would be helpful if you clarified if you were bit-streaming or not.

If not bit-streaming, then this is is the standard channel output:

5.1 uses channels 5 & 6 for surrounds.
7.1 uses channels 7 & 8 for surrounds.

If you set output format to 7.1 and leave JRSS mixing off, then both 5.1 and 7.1 will use channels 7 & 8 for surrounds.

antozac

• Recent member

Assuming you are NOT bitstreaming from MC, you can use the DSP Studio to move channels around.  Under Parametric EQ, try playing with Mix Channels or Order Channels.  I would try Order Channels first and see if that works.  If not, try Mix channels and use the "swap" feature.

I think one of these two will get you what you want.

Good luck.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, I think you are right, I am not bit streaming from MC, in other words, I am not decoding in the receiver, I set the Audio Midi Setup in 8 ch 24 bit in order the MC decodes the audio stream, in seems to work because the receiver shows Multi Channel and not DTS HD MA or Dolby TruHD.

I did what you mentioned in the parametric EQ and it works either way changing the order or swapping the surround channels. Now whenever I play 7.1 tracks the Surround channels swap with the Surround Rear Channels. NIce!!

As a note when I play 5.1 programs there was no change, what is good as I did not have a problem with 5.1, I am not sure why it has not effect on the 5.1 programs but I think it is ok as 5.1 must use the Surround Channels.

I wonder why I got into this problem, speakers should match with what is is labeled in the Audio Midi Setup/Configure Speakers in the OS, is it a problem of the OS in my Mac, I am curious now.

Thanks again!

antozac

• Recent member

It would be helpful if you clarified if you were bit-streaming or not.

If not bit-streaming, then this is is the standard channel output:

5.1 uses channels 5 & 6 for surrounds.
7.1 uses channels 7 & 8 for surrounds.

If you set output format to 7.1 and leave JRSS mixing off, then both 5.1 and 7.1 will use channels 7 & 8 for surrounds.

Thanks! I am not sure I am following here, I have JRSS mixing off for Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 and no matter what, 5.1 tracks only uses the surround speakers that it is 5 & 6 in my humble understanding. Never the Rear Surround speakers, even with the order change I did according with Brian's recommendation.

blgentry

Mojave is *extremely* knowledgeable about surround sound topics and how they relate to MC.  He may have some insight for us.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up