INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is cover art stored?  (Read 4675 times)

David353

• Recent member
Where is cover art stored?
« on: August 26, 2017, 06:34:16 am »

Hi Guys,

I've got it that Tags are stored potentially both in music files and in the library, and that the library version takes precedence in the Media Center.  And that you can over-write the files tags with the library tags or vice-versa.

What is the story for cover art?

Thanks,
David

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Where is cover art stored?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 07:37:22 am »

Cover art can be stored in a central directory for all art.  Or it can be stored in the same directory as the album:

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Audio Mode > (select here)

Notice that you can have it optionally named "folder.jpg" , or the name of the album, when stored in the same directory as the album.

Some types of files, like FLAC for example, allow you to store the image *inside* the file also.  This way every song carries it's cover art with it.  So it's much more difficult to lose track of the art.

This option is here:

Tools >Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag > (checkbox)

I hope that helps.

Brian.

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:03:53 pm »

Thanks.

I could use a little more information though.

You see, I HAVE to change my PC User from David to a new one.  This is currently the only workaround to a specific and serious Windows 10 bug which I have hit.

I need to know what 'points' to the file in the cover art.  Is it the Tags for a file, as stored in the Library?

Now, suppose I want to store all my cover art with the music files themselves, which makes most sense to me, so that I will back them up with the music files, right?

Now, how do I move all of that cover art into a directory of my choice in the music files area,  and preserve the connection between the files and the cover art?  Is this possible in JRiver Media center?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:25:15 pm »

Have you read about cover art on our wiki?

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »

OK, now I have Read TFM.   ;D

That helps, but the answers to my questions are not entirely there though.  Is it correct that the connection between the music file and the cover art location is stored in the library?

It sounds like 'clean up cover art' may be what I need.  If I change the cover art location and do a clean up cover art,  this should:

1. Move all cover art files to new location
2.  Delete cover art from old location
3.  Update library?  association of music file and cover art?

Is this correct?

The wiki seems to be implying this, but the word 'renames' can be a bit ambiguous.  I presume it moves as well?  In some usage, rename and move are the same, in orthers, not necessarily.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:53:24 pm »

Take a look at Options > File Location > Cover Art

You can copy your cover art from that folder to a new one, and then change the cover art location.  You will need to do a "Quick Find" on your files that have missing art.

In the same section of settings, there is an option to also store the art in the file.

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 03:15:10 pm »

OK.  Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 04:43:20 pm »

As far as I can tell, clean cover art will probably do what you want; particularly if you are going to move from a single central cover art folder to a model where the cover art is stored in each album's directory.

Be aware of this though:  If you change the central location, MC will MOVE ALL OF YOUR ART immediately.  Some people report that this moving of thousands of files can be problematic.  I've barely ever touched it, so I'm not sure.

If you are going to move your art from one central location to another, I suggest that you follow what Jim said and MOVE the art yourself.  Then just tell MC where the new folder is in File Location.

You might also want to make a backup of all of your art that's in a central folder before you start.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up